shape
carat
color
clarity

Citrine for my Great Aunt is finished!

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
As some may recall, I've been working on a present for my Great Aunt. She's gone through some life changing (for the better) medical issues and has a completely new outlook on life. Her favorite gemstone is citrine. As a child she would have me go out to the garden and cut her daffodils. She had hundreds of them so I would gather as many would fit in the basket. Daffodils are also a spring flower, a time of renewal and starting over.

I started out with a few different ideas but ultimately chose this 1.79ct 7mm RB Citrine cut by Pete Brush of http://www.westerngem.com/index.html. It is stunning in person

citrines%20and%20garnets%20013.png

Then I decided to use a local artist, Nancy Karpel (http://www.nancykarpeljewelry.com/), to do the pendant. She works in silver and enamel. This piece was done in Fine Silver (.999) Precious Metal Clay.

She started with pictures of daffodils and worked out a sketch.

auntdiannesnecklace%20001.png

Then cut out pieces of paper of what the finished pieces would be and made wax molds for the PMC.

auntdiannesnecklace%20002.png

There's a few more process pictures she's going to forward me and I'll post those later. :D

Here is the finished piece. The cup of the flower holds the citrine. The prongs were made to look like the stamens and the cup is enameled in a few different layered colors (the whole cup is enameled inside and out).

auntdiannesnecklace%20003.png
auntdiannesnecklace%20020.png

I don't think it could have come out any better than it did. Pete is a fantastic lapidary and a great guy. Nancy is so nice and her work is amazing. I think my Aunt is going to flip :D

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my goodness, Davi, that is gorgeous and so unique. What a lovely, thoughtful, and artistic gift! It looks absolutely fantastic. I hope she loves it!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Davi! I don't know what to say! What a great and thoughtful gift..just amazing!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a thoughtful and unique gift, something nice to bring Spring in! :))

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Davi, not only is it a thoughtful and unique gift, it is a simply gorgeously divine gift! i'm glad your Aunt is doing better.

MoZo

K9

Brilliant_Rock
Davi - it is absolutely beautiful! Full of creativity and thoughtfulness, not only in design, but how it ties you and your aunt together through childhood memories. What a sentimental gift that I'm sure your aunt will deeply cherish. :))

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really lovely. You blow me away with your creativity. I certainly hope you give it to her with a big basket of daffodils? :appl:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Davi, she will adore it! And you for being such a honey of a great-nephew. What a memorable gift!

--- Laurie

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Davi ~ this is one time I just DON'T know what to say.....

except.... :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

*raising hand* "I like daffodils, too......."

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow that is really pretty, I really like that color citrine!!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Wow!!! What a beautiful unique necklace and a very thoughtful gift! Let us know how thrilled she is once you give it to her.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you everyone. I can't wait to give it to her in October when I go back to California for a visit.

Here's another picture of the unset stone. If the sun ever comes out I'll try to get sun shots of the necklace. The citrine really smolders like an ember in the sun.

citrines garnets and spinels oh my 002.png

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very, very talented design and work! Congratulations!

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
That is just GORGEOUS. I love enamel. I wish we saw more of it around here.

And so very thoughtful of you!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is absolutely what great jewellery is all about. I'm positive that your Great Aunt will treasure your thoughtful, symbolic and kind gift.

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Love this Davi! The enamel is gorgeous, great design :love:

pixies

Shiny_Rock
What an amazing pendant! It's beautiful, but what's even better is that you put so much thought into it. Such a lovely gesture!

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
Just a few more pictures from the brief sunshine today

springy%20022.png
springy%20020.png
springy%20014_0.png

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a thoughtful gift! I hope she loves it! :appl: :appl: :appl:

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
That's such a cool concept and very well executed!

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Very cool!! I love it! :love:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Davi, that is one of the most thoughtful and coolest things I have ever seen here...and...we need a neck shot! Can you oblige or find someone to do it? It's gorgeous!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous pendant! Truly thoughtful :)) .

SomethingSinful

Shiny_Rock
very lovely :appl:

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous pendant and I love the bright colours. You're a wonderful great nephew. :appl:

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you all again. I'm working on getting a neck shot model :D Maybe Friday after my trip the District

This is the piece before it was fired in the kiln. Nancy said that piece shrinks about 14-15% which makes getting measurements for the setting a little tricky.

DSC00241.JPG

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
What a beautiful and kind present. I'm sure your aunt will love it! Great job! :))

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is gorgeous and the thought and sentiment behind it is lovely! I'm sure that you're great aunt will love it and be touched that you think so highly of her to create such a special gift for her.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results