shape
carat
color
clarity

Chunky Oval

Sopranojla

Shiny_Rock
I'm relatively void of diamond knowledge, hence my seeking advice here. I am looking for a chunky oval between 2-3 carats and am wondering what dimensions of a stone I should be looking for? I'm not even sure what the ideal dimensions for ovals are depending on carat size. I've googled and only come up with a basic chart for the 4 C's. Any help or input would be amazing. Thanks!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you show us a link or picture of what you define as a chunky oval?

Sopranojla

Shiny_Rock
Can you show us a link or picture of what you define as a chunky oval?

I don't. But to clarify, I am trying to figure out what the appropriate numbers (mm) would be to find a stone that has a bit more width to it and still be complimentary to the other dimensions; meaning, not too shallow or too deep. Would it be something in the ballpark of 10mmx8mm?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When we talk about "chunky" we are usually referring to the faceting pattern but now I understand what you mean.
You want more roundish.

Unfortunately, with fancy cut stones like ovals, the numbers dont tell you enough to help you pick out a good stone.

You can play around with this tool to see what ratio of Width/Length you like.

You calculate the ratio by taking the height and dividing it by the width. So, if a 1 carat has an 8.12 length and a 5.41 width the
ratio would be 8.12/5.41 = 1.50 ratio

I am trying to figure out what the appropriate numbers (mm) would be to find a stone that has a bit more width to it and still be complimentary to the other dimensions; meaning, not too shallow or too deep. Would it be something in the ballpark of 10mmx8mm
I'm not sure if you are going about looking for an oval the best way. IMO you should be looking for stones that are the shape you like
(say in the 1.3 ratio range) and have a good faceting pattern. Make sure the stone is returning light nicely. No major black facets that
stay lit too long. From there you can check the ratio and other specs like the depth and table.

You can find tables that give the range to stay in for table and depth but the faceting pattern and light return are more important
IMO.

You might try looking at Adimor because you can set the ratio spec down in Advanced Features.

Screenshot 2024-01-27 173327.png

Hope this helps!

Sopranojla

Shiny_Rock
When we talk about "chunky" we are usually referring to the faceting pattern but now I understand what you mean.
You want more roundish.

Unfortunately, with fancy cut stones like ovals, the numbers dont tell you enough to help you pick out a good stone.

You can play around with this tool to see what ratio of Width/Length you like.

You calculate the ratio by taking the height and dividing it by the width. So, if a 1 carat has an 8.12 length and a 5.41 width the
ratio would be 8.12/5.41 = 1.50 ratio

I am trying to figure out what the appropriate numbers (mm) would be to find a stone that has a bit more width to it and still be complimentary to the other dimensions; meaning, not too shallow or too deep. Would it be something in the ballpark of 10mmx8mm
I'm not sure if you are going about looking for an oval the best way. IMO you should be looking for stones that are the shape you like
(say in the 1.3 ratio range) and have a good faceting pattern. Make sure the stone is returning light nicely. No major black facets that
stay lit too long. From there you can check the ratio and other specs like the depth and table.

You can find tables that give the range to stay in for table and depth but the faceting pattern and light return are more important
IMO.

You might try looking at Adimor because you can set the ratio spec down in Advanced Features.

Screenshot 2024-01-27 173327.png

Hope this helps!

Yes, sorry! I didn't even think of faceting. I stand corrected! Thank you for sending along the information above!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results