shape
carat
color
clarity

Chunky/Antique Cushion Help

red9

Rough_Rock
Trade
I'm looking for an chunky/antique cushion cut diamond between 1.4 - 1.9 carats. I'm hoping to work with LM or SK for the setting. I'm inspired by CharmyPoo and Treenbean to name a few PSers.

What are my options in terms of sourcing my own stone? Which vendors would you recommend? I've found a few on James Allen that might work. I also love GOGs August Vintage cuts but I believe that I read that LM doesn't set them anymore. Are they worth the price? Will SK work with an AVC?

Will I find any antique cushions from Bluenile or WF?

Any thoughts on LMs True Antique cushion cut?

I'd like to stay with F color and below. Clarity doesn't matter too much as long as it is eye clean. I'm okay with slightly elongated, up to around 1.10.
Are there any other features I should be considering? Culet? Girdle? Depth? etc.?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, GOG will work with SK (or the other way around). They're also both in NY, so the diamond wouldn't have to travel too far. WF doesn't have antique cushions. And never buy anything from BN unless it's a MRB. They don't provide you photos of the diamonds you're buying. They're a drop shipper. For fancy cuts (antique cushions included), you need to have photos.

For antique cushions, there aren't strict guidelines on stats. If you're able to get a good photo, and an ASET from the vendor, you'll be able to make great educated purchases.

I guess you just have to figure out if you want an antique antique cushion, or a modern ideal optics antique inspired cushion. If the latter, stick with the AVC. If the former, GOG still can provide true antiques. James Allen randomly has some antiques but you have to sift through his inventory. ERD also has a bit. You also have OWD as an option as well. JbEG, too.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
There is a big difference between AVC's and true antique cushions. I think you pretty much like one or the other. I'm a fan of true antiques and the AVC's don't do it for me at all.

Now with that said if you are looked for a true antique cushion then I would contact Adam at Old World Diamonds and the ladies at JbEG. JbEG has almost all their stuff up on their site but Adam doesn't really update his website so you would need to call or email them about finding you a cushion.

And I'm very much going to disagree with the ASET. True antique cushions were not cut for light performance so I don't think they ever look fabulous under an ASSET. You really need to buy them based off how the facet pattern looks to you nad how appealing that is.

For my cushion search I looked at ERD, JbEG, LM and OWD. Everyone had at least 1 option. Since you are looking for a higher color cushion I think ERD, OWD, and LM might have more options in the higher color range. I personally went with OWD because Adam fit my budget and had exactly what I was looking for.

Someone already posted Charmy's cushion guide which is a wealth of information and should help you identify if you want a branded cushion or a true antique. Good luck in your search!!! For what it's worth I got a true antique cushion set into a VC halo and it is truly my dream ring.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
admittedly I am no cushion expert, but i submit this to the group so others can say yay or nay, just seems like a nice stone if you like these colors, and if it looks nice despite being shallow and having a smaller crown then you've got a stone that faces up very large..... so just passing it allong, others can tell you if I am actually being helpful or not :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GIA-Certified-3-29-CT-OLD-ANTIQUE-CUSHION-CUT-LOOSE-DIAMOND-VVS2-U-V-HM1244-/321148088162?pt=Loose_Diamonds&hash=item4ac5eaef62

red9

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thanks for the input!
Madelise - thanks for reminding me about Charmy's guide - it's very helpful.

I mis-used the word "lower" for color. I'd like to find a colorless/near colorless cushion (D, E, F, maybe G). I'm guessing that wanting this color range will limit my options for true antique cushions, is that a safe assumption, SB621?

On James Allen I found this one, but haven't gone as far to request an ASET:
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.40-carat-e-color-vs1-clarity-sku-191537

Any words of caution?

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Yes and No. Yes because many antique cushions were recut into modern cuts- so they are in generally harder to find especially in higher colors. No because there has been a real surge in public interest in antique cuts over the last 3 years from what I have heard from the experts (in and outside of PS) so they are easier to find as people are buying them left and right. Supply and demand....

And for the JA stone- I LOVE it!!! :love: :love:

Very pretty pillow-y shape with a flashy maltese cross. I would put it on hold and then check with ERD, JbEG and OWD to see if they have anything that can beat it.

pixgirl

Shiny_Rock
Hi

I just finished up a project with LM and have a True Antique cut that was sourced through Perry Chen at Leon's. I loved working with both of them, love, love, love my stone and could not be more pleased with my ring.

_7530.jpg

_7531.jpg

red9

Rough_Rock
Trade
I love your ring and the stone is beautiful! How long did it take to you to find the right stone? Did you do it virtually? How long did the entire project take?

pixgirl

Shiny_Rock
I made an appointment to visit Leon Mege and to consult with Perry Chen (diamond guy) in NYC. I picked the stone that day in about an hour, spent another hour and a half talking with Leon about the ring and then received my ring in 6 weeks. It arrived the day they promised it would and they were very responsive to my emails. I am very pleased with the entire experience.

pixgirl

Shiny_Rock
PS - this stone is an H VS1. You might consider going lower than D-G.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results