shape
carat
color
clarity

Chrysoberyl from Tan and a few others

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
My chrysoberyl from Tan arrived! I was planning on using this stone to fill an existing mount and give it as a present, but it just doesn't look right with white gold in a vintage mount. So I get to keep it for myself...

Since I had borrowed my boyfriend's macro lens, I took pictures of a few other of my stones while I was at it. I don't know how you guys shade stones and hold up giant cameras at the same time. Or get pictures of stones with pets. The best I got was stones with pet hair.

The new chrysoberyl, about 6.5mm. My photo, then Tan's.

IMG_1577.jpg

chryso_novel.jpg

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
With a cheapie ebay spinel, tiny Mastercutgems Montana sapphire, and Barry tsav that was meant for a pendant for my mom but she didn't want it.

IMG_1585.jpg

IMG_1581.jpg

IMG_1575.jpg

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
A dark shot of the sapphire and garnet and then some hand shots. It's hard to get all three facing the same way and looking right at the same time. Also, they're dirty and the chrysoberyl doesn't have the little window, it's just tilted.

All in all, I'm really pleased with the chrysoberyl. I think I need to start thinking about setting some stones!

IMG_1601.jpg

IMG_1600.jpg

IMG_1596.jpg

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Can't edit the post and just realized the Barry stone is a tourmaline. Sorry, fuzzy concussion brain.

iolitedreamer

Rough_Rock
I think you have some really pretty stones there. I like the shots where you took them together. I have found out that even on the closest setting on my camera I cannot get as nice of pics as I wish. I think you did a good job and at least you were able to capture the colors. It will be really nice when you can set them and take more pics )

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
I'm glad that chryso went to a PS'er. I think that's the one I was eyeing really really really hard LOL. It's lovely. I think chryso's are my new kryptonite.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love that - the best you can do is pet hair :lol: :lol: That is totally my problem too! I have to lock my dogs in the house when I take pics, else the two big lugs would sit on them, lick the camera, and generally think that I was there for their entertainment...

Anyway, nice gems! Plans?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
very pretty - I love chyrsoberyls.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
I love your Chrysoberyl and your little sapphire ! :love: :love: :love:

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely gems! Sparkly chrysoberyl! :love: :love:

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks ladies and Davi!

iolitedreamer, that's my favorite shot, too! Thanks!

Davi, it may have been that one! Amazing how much better they are IRL than his pics, no? I tell you, if you decide you missed out on that stone, I'd be willing to trade it for your cognac diamond...

Minousbijoux, my cats definitely think gems are meant to be chewed. I think I threw one (sort of nicely?) off the desk while taking those pics today! Plans - bezel set pendant argentium silver lined with yellow gold for the sapphire. I was talking to Sally on it before I got sick in the fall and now am waiting until I recover from my accident. It hasn't been a good year for settings! The tourmaline was meant for a pendant but my mom seems to not want it, so either getting rid of it or trying to see if it can go in the mount the chrysoberyl was meant for (6.5mm mount vs. 7.2mm stone. We'll see.) That spinel is a play stone, but if I can find a reasonably close cheap match, it would be a fun earring. And I have no idea for the chrysoberyl! It would be great in a Daniel M u-prong ring, I think.

Thanks, TL! I appreciate that you encouraged me to go for it from the original photo!

Thanks, Shiney and ZestfullyBling ! I adore the teeny sapphire, too! It's still my favorite, I think, even against bigger and more saturated stones.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Really pretty chryso Novel! They're such cool stones aren't they??

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Lovely the new Chrysoberyl. :appl:

Fuzzy25

Rough_Rock
Good looking stones, Novel.

A question for you if you don't mind... I'm working with a couple cutters to acquire a stone for a vintage white gold mount and was considering chrysoberyl, so your post peaked my curiosity. What makes your chrysoberyl not right for a white gold vintage mount? Is it the color? Thanks!

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, Packrat, Lovinggems, and Crasru! Pack, they really are!

Sure, Fuzzy25! For me, it was the green undertone in the chrysoberyl that didn't work with the mount. Even though the stone is mostly yellow in most lights, in low light it definitely has a hint of green, and the combination just didn't work with my setting. Here's a picture in low light so you can see it.

IMG_1545.jpg

Fuzzy25

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply, Novel. Very helpful! I see what you're saying on how the greenish tone doesn't work with the white gold.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results