shape
carat
color
clarity

Chrysmela catch back for stud earrings

Sayde64

Rough_Rock
Understand this thread is for pictures only but since this is the venue for intense preoccupation with all things stud-ly I was hoping I might get some input from folks with some firsthand experience. (I did post elsewhere and no response). Saw the "Chrysmela backs" on Amazon. They are little cylinders, 4.8 mm in diameter. They have a different shape from LaPousette but it seems they are a LaPousette alternative-- they use ball bearings to keep the catch tight to the post. The reviews are all positive. They are designed and made in Japan and were marketed there for a while before being introduced here. Was wondering if anyone had seen, touched or used these?

(I did just order my earrings from BGD and hope to have them soon. .428 G&H SI1 Signature H&A in 8 prong settings. Nice 5% Mothers Day promo!)

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't seen this type of back but... if it uses ball bearings I'm guessing this back is designed to "seat" at a certain point in the post - where the post has been notched or indented for that purpose. The question is whether you can get that indentation put in the post right where you would need it and it would be most comfortable for you - or alternatively, whether there's another mechanism that holds the backing right where you need it and the ball bearings are a merely a back-up that would keep the back from slipping all the way off the post if the primary mechanism failed. Does that make any sense?

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Because of your post, Sayde64, I ended up taking a chance on these. I got them for some diamond studs that I have never felt secure wearing (they have regular backings, despite my request for le poucette). This was a less expensive and easier solution than resetting, so I gave it a try. I've only had them for about a week, and so far, so good! The backings seat themselves where you set them, they don't need a notch in a particular place. So far I'd recommend them, and Sayde thank you for bringing them to my attention!

Sayde64

Rough_Rock
Golfprincess and rainydaze, thank you for the information!

I have not bought these yet myself, but asked several questions about them on Amazon. Was curious about whether they were perceptibly heavier than push backs (they do weigh more but does it matter?) and whether they are fine if worn in the shower.

I am tempted to get some. As I imagine many others are also, I am always a little anxious wearing my new diamond studs, even though the push backs are quite tight and seem perfectly adequate.

I hope others will chime in here if they decide to try these.

Sayde64

Rough_Rock
I have purchased these, and asked to return for a refund. I posted a review on Amazon if anyone wants more info.

The net net is that the were too deep and they were visible below my very small ear lobes. I suspect they will work wonderfully for most people, but not for me.

lorrissey

Brilliant_Rock
I use the Chrysmela catch backs. I have one pair that I use for all my earrings. They are great. super easy to take on and off and they stay! I'm happy with mine. I've had them for 8 ish months... so far so good.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results