clarity

Christening Gown Poll

Which dress do you prefer?

• Dress 1

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I need help choosing between two christening gowns. DH and I like both dresses, although we have different first choices. I have seen the first dress in person at an outlet mall, and I have a 25% off coupon for that store that expires Tuesday and makes Dress 1 about $10 more than Dress 2. I really like the design of both dresses, but am nervous I haven’t seen the second dress in person and do not have details about its construction.

I would love to know which dress you would choose and why.

Descriptions from sellers:

Dress 1: This timeless white silk dupioni Christening gown has a beautifully smocked bodice with ecru hand embroidery. The gown is finished with tucks along the skirt. Matching hand-smocked bonnet included. Lined. All Strasburg Children Christening Gowns feature French seams (which eliminate raw, "itchy", edges on inside seaming), hand hemming, hand embroidery, feather stitching and/or hand smocking - all of which are standard elements of a Strasburg Creation.
Dress 2: This beautiful gown is part of our new ''Laura Ashley'' collection. Elegant 26" Silk Dupioni Gown with Beaded Lattice Bodice and Smocked Waistband. Includes Matching Bonnet and Separate Slip.

Photos to follow.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Dress 1:

strasburg1.gif

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Dress 2:

LGD1.jpg

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Dress 2:

LGD2.jpg

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I am going to try to post a larger picture of Dress 1.

strasburgchildren.jpg

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Dress 1 again:

strasburgchildren3.JPG

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock
I know this won''t help at all, but I love the hat from the first one and I love the second dress.

lili

Ideal_Rock
Wow, didn''t know that Christening Dresses are that expensive.
Anyway, I love the first one -- love the intricate embroidery on the bodice and the triple ribbon on the bottom of the dress.
The hat is super cute too.
The second is really cute, but I don''t like the beads on them.
I just the baby will feel those lumps when you hold her tight or something -- that''s just me.

E B

Ideal_Rock
They''re both very pretty, but I love the thin ribbon detail at the bottom of dress #1. That''d be my pick.

akmiss

Brilliant_Rock
I really like the smocking and the hem of dress #1. In my mind, this is what a Christening gown should look like
1.gif

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I absolutely love the first one. So gorgeous!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The 1st one is my pick, I love Strasburg--they have exquisite things! I''ve actually seen that one in person (fall ''07 I think) in store and it was gorgeous.

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
I like #2 because it''s all white and to me, that''s what a Christening gown is. Both are lovely, though.

I also like the wide band at the bottom. And the bonnet. It''s just adorable!!

Whichever you choose, your daughter will be beautiful for the special day.

Camille

Shiny_Rock
Both gorgeous, #1 is my fave!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
#1!!

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Love ecru on white!
Love the seed pearls as well, but it''s a good point about the lumpy sensation for the baby!

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/30/2009 12:21:02 AM
Author: Kay
I am going to try to post a larger picture of Dress 1.

this dress is my choice. i think strasburg children has really nice children''s clothing. laura ashley smocking is classic and i like her stuff but i think the strasburg looks great. you can not loose with either dress and cap.

Bia

Ideal_Rock
# 1
30.gif

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2009 1:25:58 AM
Author: lili

I just the baby will feel those lumps when you hold her tight or something -- that''s just me.
That''s why I voted for #1.

Steel

Ideal_Rock
No.2 No question.

ETA: Sorry, you asked for why's. It is because of the sleeves. They are classic and darling. Overall they change the line of the gown from possible gingham summer dress (style, I mean) to gown.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
I love #1 - I think the embroidery is darling and timeless.

lili

Ideal_Rock
kay--
forgot to add that i love the ruffle on the first hat
5.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
They''re both beautiful but I love #1 best! The bonnet is darling!

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2009 12:59:06 AM
Author: pennquaker09
I know this won''t help at all, but I love the hat from the first one and I love the second dress.
Ha ha, me too, but she would probably look funny with that pairing!

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2009 1:25:58 AM
Author: lili
Wow, didn''t know that Christening Dresses are that expensive.
Anyway, I love the first one -- love the intricate embroidery on the bodice and the triple ribbon on the bottom of the dress.
The hat is super cute too.
It''s crazy isn''t it? With my coupon, I can get the first one for $135 at the outlet, so that''s better than the regular price at least. My MIL offered to buy the christening gown for A. Since her family is from Italy and Sicily, she wanted to order a custom made gown from Sicily that cost almost $1,000!
6.gif
My in-laws are generous, but they are not wealthy and there was no way I was going to let them buy a christening gown that cost more than my wedding dress!

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/30/2009 2:38:49 PM
Author: Steel
No.2 No question.

ETA: Sorry, you asked for why''s. It is because of the sleeves. They are classic and darling. Overall they change the line of the gown from possible gingham summer dress (style, I mean) to gown.
I love those sleeves too! They are darling, and I love the line that is created where the sleeves meet the beaded bodice, with the thin band of smocking underneath. It looks like a miniature Cinderella gown to me. I just wish I could see it in person to check out the construction quality since I want this to be an heirloom gown. I would have to pay shipping both ways plus a 15% re-stocking fee if I didn''t like it.

Kay

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for voting. I am going back to the store tonight to re-look at #1 and most likely buy it. I loved in when we saw it in January but did not want to buy that far in advance since she is getting baptised in May. I also love #2, which is DH''s favorite (although #1 was his second choice of the 8 dresses I showed him). I had not thought about the pearls on #2 being uncomfortable for A, but I am nervous about a bead coming loose and ending up in her mouth. Also, in the picture, it looks like the diamond patterns and pearls are not centered on the bodice, and it drives me nuts when designs are off-center (if they are not clearly meant to be asymmetrical).

Definitely. Maybe

Brilliant_Rock
I love, love, love number 2! The pearl/beads make it really classy and the hemming is perfect for that dress. :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results