shape
carat
color
clarity

Choosing Ring Size on Wide Band

Zappy

Shiny_Rock
Hello! I am in the process of deciding the final details of my anniversary band. It will be approximately 10.5mm wide, and I'm not sure which size to order. With a standard 2mm or 3mm band, a size 3.5 works for me. It is a bit wiggly when I'm very cold, but it seems to barely fit when I'm hot or when I wake up in the morning. I think a size 4 would be best in a wide band, but I'm worried it's going to spin a lot in the winter. I also considered going with a 3.75 comfort fit but I'm worried it'll be bulky.

Does anyone else with a wide band fluctuate like this? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I prefer wide bands
i find my fingers need a bigger size with a wider band as they get ready tight as the day goes on

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have 2 sets of metal ring sizers, one for narrow bands, and one for wider wedding bands, and I find the ring size for my chubby fleshy LH middle finger can differ as much as 1.5 US size!

I found this out the hard way when I had a very wide bombé ring made with a 9mm Amethyst, and it would not fit based on my narrow ring size!

DK :))

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I tell consumers to use a narrow band ring sizing tool and tell the seller what finger size the narrow one is and ask them to pick the correct larger size for the specific band you are ordering. A good bench jeweler will take the narrow sizing ring and push it onto their own finger and then select the wide ring which feels like it is the right size. There is really only guesswork otherwise. The exact size number is not really the issue on the ring you are ordering, but how it that particular ring happens to fit on the finger. If you buy such a ring in person, the sales people might make that judgement, but not all have enough real experience.

You need an experienced bench person to give you proper assistance with the right ring on the spot. Most plain wedding bands can be stretched and shrunk some to fit better. Not all of them can be adjusted, so you doing this shopping is best in person, or on the phone with someone who understands how to make this size choice on your behalf. Your band size of 3.5 is tiny for such a very wide ring. You may be beyond the limit on width for getting a comfortable fitting ring with your small finger size.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello! I am in the process of deciding the final details of my anniversary band. It will be approximately 10.5mm wide, and I'm not sure which size to order. With a standard 2mm or 3mm band, a size 3.5 works for me. It is a bit wiggly when I'm very cold, but it seems to barely fit when I'm hot or when I wake up in the morning. I think a size 4 would be best in a wide band, but I'm worried it's going to spin a lot in the winter. I also considered going with a 3.75 comfort fit but I'm worried it'll be bulky.

Does anyone else with a wide band fluctuate like this? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Are your fingers more fleshy? Or is the knuckle the largest part?

My knuckles are larger than the fleshy part of my finger where a ring sits, so for me, I'm fine going just a half size up for wide bands. If the fleshy portion was the size limiter I'd probably go 3/4-1 full size up, for such a wide band.

Zappy

Shiny_Rock
Are your fingers more fleshy? Or is the knuckle the largest part?

My knuckles are larger than the fleshy part of my finger where a ring sits, so for me, I'm fine going just a half size up for wide bands. If the fleshy portion was the size limiter I'd probably go 3/4-1 full size up, for such a wide band.

Thanks everyone for the advice! Yssie, I think my fingers might look a bit like yours.

20201110_064517.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's just how mine look, yes!
I'd go with a size 4 comfort fit, personally. The comfort fit adds a little bit of bulk but the buttery fit is so worth it IMO ::)

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure of the design or vendor of your wide band project but I would ask if a wax model could be sent to you so you could try it on?

Zappy

Shiny_Rock
I'd go with a size 4 comfort fit, personally. The comfort fit adds a little bit of bulk but the buttery fit is so worth it IMO ::)

Awesome! Do you have a wide band in comfort fit by any chance? If so, do you have any pictures of it? I have no idea how much bulk I expect it would add. Also would it normally be comfort fit all the way around the band or just on the bottom half without diamonds?

Zappy

Shiny_Rock
Not sure of the design or vendor of your wide band project but I would ask if a wax model could be sent to you so you could try it on?

Sorry, some background would be helpful! I'm looking at a 3 row band half eternity. Here, the sales person at idj stacked some rings.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't anymore, but I used to. It was 8mm - smaller than yours.
"Comfort fit" means rounding out the interior of the band - this is independent of what's going on with the exterior of the band (ie. It should be "comfort fit" all the way around the interior!).
I'll see if I can find some photos... How much depth the comfort fit will add depends on how the vendor does it, so def ask IDJ about this if it's of concern to you! I will say that with three-row pave using fifteen or twenty point stones, you're already dealing with significant height off the finger - the fraction of a mm that a comfort fit will add is probably drops in the ocean :))

Zappy

Shiny_Rock
I don't anymore, but I used to. It was 8mm - smaller than yours.
"Comfort fit" means rounding out the interior of the band - this is independent of what's going on with the exterior of the band (ie. It should be "comfort fit" all the way around the interior!).
I'll see if I can find some photos... How much depth the comfort fit will add depends on how the vendor does it, so def ask IDJ about this if it's of concern to you! I will say that with three-row pave using fifteen or twenty point stones, you're already dealing with significant height off the finger - the fraction of a mm that a comfort fit will add is probably drops in the ocean :))

Oh my goodness, thanks for your advice. I feel better about it! I'll have to see if maybe a subtle comfort fit design can be done. But I know 10mm is a lot to try to get off and I'll definitely get claustrophobic in the summer when it gets stuck. So even if the comfort fit lists the band off the finger by one or two mm on each side, that'll help.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, some background would be helpful! I'm looking at a 3 row band half eternity. Here, the sales person at idj stacked some rings.

FYI I was told that wax models aren't a good indicator of size...when cast, the size shrinks...I was hoping to use a wax for sizing too! Boo!

headlight

Ideal_Rock

Comfort fits are definitely so much more of a "pleasure" to put on and take off!

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
For getting the size right on an expensive ring, I would be tempted to buy some cheap wide bands in a few sizes from eg eBay, so I could wear them around all day. I have titanium and silver bands for work that were the equivalent of 5 dollars each, so it would be easy to get 10mm bands in size 4 and 4.5 (or whatever) well worth the investment IMO.

ETA - I am size 3.75 but have a pathological fear of tight rings, so it is a fine balancing act of getting them as loose as possible without actually flying off :)

Zappy

Shiny_Rock
For getting the size right on an expensive ring, I would be tempted to buy some cheap wide bands in a few sizes from eg eBay, so I could wear them around all day. I have titanium and silver bands for work that were the equivalent of 5 dollars each, so it would be easy to get 10mm bands in size 4 and 4.5 (or whatever) well worth the investment IMO.

ETA - I am size 3.75 but have a pathological fear of tight rings, so it is a fine balancing act of getting them as loose as possible without actually flying off :)

Yes, I freak out when it's hot and my 3.5 rings can barely be removed. What size works for you in wide bands? I like your suggestion. Do you find that the cheap rings are accurate in size?

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
I have short fingers so I don't find anything more than 4mm total comfortable, so I'm not much help, but I do size 4.0 for 2mm and 4.25 for 4mm. Yes, I have found the cheap rings to be accurate but the key thing is that there are different forms of measurement (leading edge v centre, or something) and the inside profile really makes a difference ie comfort fit stays on a lot better. So I would recommend getting a few, wearing them and determining best fit, and then actually sending that out to the person making your ring so they can do it exactly the same in size and profile.

I am SO sensitive to this though, so it's worth it to me. I have only had projects done with local jewellers so just take a ring that fits me well and they measure it on whichever mandrel they use in-house.

Last edited:

edelweissmaedl

Shiny_Rock
Sizing can be tricky. I liked this 7.5 mm wide ring that was comfort fit (solid metal on the inside). it only came in half sizes. I was worried the 4 was snug and the 4.5 was too loose. I normally wear a 4. I had the ring custom made in a 4.25, but the inside has open azure. somehow it’s loose and I had one and then a second sizing bar added. The weight of the wider ring causes me more worry it will fall off my finger, versus a lighter narrow band that seems to stay put better.

the jeweler offered to make 3 blanks to try. I declined as I had tried the ‘original’ on myself and bought cheap rings for size to gauge as well. I think anything you can to get the benches expertise would be ideal.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
With wide bands, there are ring sizes for them.
so, play with a brick snd mortar store...that is what I did.

“I am considering a wide band snd just exploring options of what to get snd how it feels like”
Ya gotta play along with their sales pitch.

But definitely at that width, I would think 1/2 size bigger is better to accomodate for summer times, and end of day feels. so go at the end of the day to size it.

Zappy

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for your helpful advice. It seems like comfort fit is something to consider. I am also thinking about having the shank slightly taper. I originally wanted no tapering but with this sizing issue, I want to make sure the ring doesn't get stuck on all the time.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A three row pave band that's got diamonds going all the way around (full eternity) isn't a piece you're going to want to wear all the time anyway. Even the sturdiest make will be damaged quickly by #AllDayEveryday wear. IMO just take it off before you go rock climbing, or tour the Mojave, or do dishes in steaming water, or hit the beach - no need to tie yourself into aesthetically-unpleasing knots with compromises to always-wearable-ize something that's so intrinsically not-always-wearable.

And if it's not a full eternity - IMO just go with your current best guess and size it if needed :))

Last edited:

Zappy

Shiny_Rock
It's going to be half eternity. I decided on no tapering, size 4, and comfort fit. I'll definitely take it off before doing something active, but I just wanted to be smart about the fit due to daily and seasonal finger size changes. :)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's going to be half eternity. I decided on no tapering, size 4, and comfort fit. I'll definitely take it off before doing something active, but I just wanted to be smart about the fit due to daily and seasonal finger size changes. :)
I can't wait to see it!! It will be a statement piece!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results