shape
carat
color
clarity

Choosing James Allen was my worst decision

kumasue

Rough_Rock
So I paid for a D VS1 carat diamond for $15,550 SGD. Everything was fine, they charged my cards with no issue.

Till about 24 hours later they sent me an email saying they're unable to take up my order. Instead of refunding me they're asking me, as a customer to do a manual chargeback.

After calling my bank do I realized that this chargeback takes 60 days and I have to pay extra interests while it is pending investigation.

Seriously why is James Allen. Causing me, a consumer unnecessary stress? I paid for a diamond with my own money. Expecting to receive what I paid for.

Here they are turning my life upside down. Giving me unnecessary stress making me having to head down to lodge a police report and head to the bank so that I'm able to get a merchant dispute.

This should be marked as a fraud by James Allen.

I've contacted their customer service and none of them are able to help me

So much unnecessary stressed caused by James Allen while it takes 60 days up to even 120 days for me to even be able to get my money back. I'm located in Singapore so the laws here may be different from america. I've already cried over it and now I'm going to live in agony until the money has been refunded while having to fork out more money just to wait for my money to be returned.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220817-093547_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220817-093547_Chrome.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 81
  • C87E429D-83E6-4081-849F-C4933A26EE7C.jpeg
    C87E429D-83E6-4081-849F-C4933A26EE7C.jpeg
    158.6 KB · Views: 346
  • Screenshot_20220817-092450_Chrome.jpeg
    Screenshot_20220817-092450_Chrome.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 335
Last edited by a moderator:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure why this diamond purchase won’t go through. James Allen would have to explain that to you and yet they are telling you they don’t know why either. Was the amount over your credit card limit? I am sure it will all get resolved but you are losing time waiting on the refund. Next time make sure you are dealing with a reputable company that does business with overseas customers. I would highly recommend Whiteflash!

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Several years ago, I tried to buy a diamond from James Allen, and I gave my CC info to them. They came back and needed other information I was not prepared to give them. My order was canceled, and I just thought I would never use them again.
What bothered me was I was not told any of this before I gave them my CC info. They had not processed my order as I wouldn't give them the additional info they wanted, so my CC had no charges from them. I would be annoyed if I were you, more than annoyed. I feel for you.

Annette

kumasue

Rough_Rock
Yes it was over my card limit but I transferred more money into my card and they charged it without an issue.

Honestly now I'm just too scared to buy anymore diamonds online anymore

Kya

Shiny_Rock
I would definitely be turned off by this. Have you requested to discuss this matter further with a higher-up such as a supervisor?

kumasue

Rough_Rock
Yes I was already talking to a manager and apparently it's their "protocol" and their unable to do anything about it.

What turns me of is how they aren't really "sorry" for placing me in this position.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
have you spoken to their service, Forter? it sounds to me that they are the ones who stopped the transaction.

Reactions: Kya

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes it was over my card limit but I transferred more money into my card and they charged it without an issue.

Honestly now I'm just too scared to buy anymore diamonds online anymore

Not exactly sure how this works? I am assuming you are talking about a credit card and the company would have to increase your credit limit. Or did you pay more on the balance owed? Or was this a debit card? I guess the next time you make a large purchase, you would need to make sure that the dollar limit on it was already sufficient for the purchase. I am sorry this happened but hopefully it can be prevented in the future. Don’t give up!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really can't help with what appears to be an international credit card transaction that you say was "over your limit" but you transferred more money into the card. As @MissGotRocks says, it isn't something I'm familiar with. However, it does seem odd, that if you do a "charge-back" which, again, I'm not familiar with, that your bank says it takes 60 days. Why? Did you ask your bank that? Calling this fraud on JA's part seems a bit uncalled for. They haven't stolen your money, you just don't like the process (which I can understand).

kumasue

Rough_Rock
It was on a credit card. There was more than enough balance. Issue is they wouldn't refund me my money

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
It was on a credit card. There was more than enough balance. Issue is they wouldn't refund me my money

Contest the Charge with your credit card company. JA has your money but is unwilling to complete the transaction. You should not have to pay interest for an issue on their end.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My bank said I had to pay the interest for the amount charged for the two months that investigation is pending sadly.

But I can appeal the charge and it's case by case basis so fingers crossed on it

what investigation? you didn't mention that before. The purchase didn't go through, and you did a charge back that JA said they would accept. Why does this require an investigation. I think you need to speak with your bank to understand this process.

kumasue

Rough_Rock
My bank said it will be opened as a merchant chargeback but they need time to investigate.

I'm not entirely sure why as they didn't get into detail but it takes up to 60 days to get my money back into my card

Although when I googled it take 4 weeks for simple or up to 120 days for complex

It's a DBS bank located in Singapore.

If the online notification is correct I'm finger crossing for it to be completed in a month

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Sorry this happened to you.
Its not horribly uncommon with international credit card purchases but if the vendor does not contest the charge back I do not see why it should take 60 days.
I am not accusing you of fraud just trying to explain something....

The reason they make you do a charge back when they get a fraud alert is they can be left holding the bag owing the amount of the refund out of their pocket and not receive the original payment amount if they do a standard refund on a fraudulent transaction.
Its much safer for them to eat the charge back fee which can be a lot of money on a large purchase.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
well if there was a fraud alert, that explains things more than the info originally posted. That explains the need for an investigation. Doesn't mean that you were doing something fraudulent, but the circumstances apparently sent out a red flag, for whatever reason. Could be many things, not personal to you.

kumasue

Rough_Rock
Even so. Thanks to this I waste $150 in exchange fees and extra $250 in interests. Plus a 60 days of waiting time according to my bank

James Allen just turned my life into living hell
(Neither of this interests and money can be waved by the bank)

Last edited:

kumasue

Rough_Rock
So after a good 36 hrs of emotional roller coaster, heading to the police station right in the middle of the night. heading to the bank during my lunch hours and skipping my meals for it. For them to finally decided to refund me.

I hope I can receive my refund in a week.

And they should remove that risk free retail since it's definitely wasn't risk free for me
Screenshot_20220818-192017_Chrome.jpg

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
@kumasue what an ordeal! I’m so glad that you are getting your money back without having to incur all the bank fees!

Once the dust settles, I hope that you can still find your dream stone. Don’t be afraid of Whiteflash or Brian Gavin Diamonds. They are both well established but smaller/ flatter organizations where you can get a straight answer. JA is part of a huge conglomerate now. Or, if you want to work with someone local to you, people seem to like Jann Paul.

Good luck!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
JannPaul would be a local jeweler... hopefully their store isn't too far from you.

545 Orchard Road, Far East Shopping Center, #1-23, Singapore 238882

Ricemedia_JannPaul_Photo-1-1024x682.jpg

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
I wish Gina Drosos would read this thread.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So after a good 36 hrs of emotional roller coaster, heading to the police station right in the middle of the night. heading to the bank during my lunch hours and skipping my meals for it. For them to finally decided to refund me.

I hope I can receive my refund in a week.

And they should remove that risk free retail since it's definitely wasn't risk free for me
Screenshot_20220818-192017_Chrome.jpg

So you bought via credit card and JA’s processing company declined to fulfill the transaction for some reason, and JA told you to do a chargeback to “get your money back.”

But if JA’s CC processor declined the transaction, that means it didn’t actually process, correct? So it should still show as “pending” in your current statement?

You don’t owe interest on pending transactions…

Edit: I see that they refunded you via CC.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I also feel for you.

I have no idea what could have happened there but, regardless, it would be awful to think you are buying a beautiful diamond and instead discover that not only are you not getting the diamond, but your money is being held too and possibly with fees! I am glad it's getting sorted out now, at least. :)

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
what investigation? you didn't mention that before. The purchase didn't go through, and you did a charge back that JA said they would accept. Why does this require an investigation. I think you need to speak with your bank to understand this process
Charge backs require personal statements of what happened that you have to send them and then they have to investigate etc. it’s a giant mess And it’s wrong of James Allen to do this.

kumasue

Rough_Rock
Hi I bought it with a credit card. It was charged and fees has already been charged too. (It was already processed)

Only then did JA finally finish their investigation on my personal details to cancel out my transaction.

So no, it's not pending but charged and interests will roll until the refund hits my card

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kumasue, you just posted all the digits of your VISA card.

How do you expect us all to use it if you don't also post its expiration date the the security code on the back?

Last edited:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kamasue, I see you deleted your post that had a screen shot of your phone, which displayed all 16 numbers of your VISA card.

Good thing I notified you.
You're welcome BTW.

It was up about 20 minutes so I'd worry about how many people (and bots) took a screen capture of it.

If I had done that I would immediately call my CC company.
I'd tell them that I posted a screen capture of my phone displaying all 16 of my VISA card's digits on the internet for all the world (and spy bots) to see for 20 minutes, and request a new number.

Last edited:

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
He posted the numbers on his VISA card? Oh dear, oh dear. Kenny, thank you for warning him.
I tried to buy a diamond from JA a few years ago and they didn't want to accept my CC either. As if living in Wisconsin isn't bad enough.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results