shape
carat
color
clarity

Choosing an appraiser

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

noles9498

Rough_Rock
Now that I have my new rock, what questions should I ask of an appraiser to make sure that they are going to do all that should be done? And what exactly should be done? What is a reasonable fee for a comprehensive appraisal?

I would like a very comprehensive appraisal for my own peace of mind (and love) and for insurance purposes, especially because it was bought overseas and is not a lab-graded stone. Also, it is an unusual cut so I want to make sure that everything is properly documented so that it will be comparably replaced should the need ever arise.

Finally, Rich is in Sarasota which is a day trip I''d be willing to make but I think he''s unavailable for a while. Does anyone have a reference in south Florida or does the GIA have a referral service?

Thanks in advance for your replies. I''ll go back to staring at my new ring now....
love.gif

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hello Noles,

What you need to do is call the American Society of Appraisers and get a list of Master Gemologist Appraisers in your area.
You can look up the ASA on the internet and get the information that way. ASA is in northern Virginia.
Your appraisal needs to have a complete discription of your diamond: Length, width and depth sizes in mm, carat weight
color, clarity, cut, any damage (chipe or nicks) information. Complete information on any other stones in the ring and complete discription information of the ring.
Also a very good photo should be included. And Value $$
There is much more that is included in an appraisal but an ASA appraiser has the education needed to do a complete job.
It is not a one page appraisal of yesteryear.
Good Luck!

noles9498

Rough_Rock
ASA only lists four appraisers in Florida, but fortunately one is just in the next county. Thanks for your input!

appl.gif

noles9498

Rough_Rock
....just took a look at GOG's page on appraisals....he's got it all!!

dbretton

Rough_Rock
where??

noles9498

Rough_Rock
Fort Lauderdale, Florida - or anywhere else in South Florida.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rich! We have missed you! Hope all is well...
1.gif

justme

Shiny_Rock
Hey Rich - Glad to see you back!

Justme

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Thanks guys! (girls!) It's good to be back...

It really was an unbelievable escapade. My wife ended up getting emergency back surgery by a Mexican neurosurgeon in a hospital in Tijuana, Mexico. (She had been at a clinic for breast cancer treatment when she suffered the spinal trauma). I was a bit apprehensive about the surgery being done in Mexico, but the situation required immediate attention and my wife (a chiropractor) said she really trusted the neurosurgeon (she knows him from previous encounters).

Turns out he did an awesome job, and the hospital/staff was first rate! Clean and professional, with very caring staff. I was humbled for my earlier misgivings...

Get this- The surgery, along with a week's hospital stay came to $6000 total.

Can you believe that?! An American hospital would have been $50,000 easy...

She's recovering well, and we're now at a San Diego hotel, fixing to come back to Sarasota Sunday. Her prognosis is excellent, considering.

Amazing... Treasure each day, guys.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 3/14/2003 11:49:57 PM Richard Sherwood wrote:

Her prognosis is excellent, considering.

Amazing... Treasure each day, guys.
----------------

Great news.

Your positive spin on life in general is healing.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I finally found this post! I have been wanting to respond all day to you Rich.

I'm so glad to hear that your wife is doing excellently! Life does throw curveballs at times....my best wishes for a very speedy recovery. Now is your chance to be that stellar, doting husband, you know...breakfast in bed, housecleaning, foot massages, a new wardrobe, a new trough of jewelry....uh oh I'm getting carried away!
9.gif

noles9498

Rough_Rock
So glad to hear that things went well. Have a safe trip and maybe we'll see you in a week or two!

12.gif

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
breakfast in bed, housecleaning, foot massages, a new wardrobe, a new
trough of jewelry...
-----------

Yeah, I really miss all that stuff.

I can't wait till she heals up so she can start giving them to me again...

Heh heh heh

What some women will do to get out of their duties.

Rich, back in Sarasota and ready to hit the ground running...

VICGO4U

Rough_Rock
Hi, I am looking for the name of the Neurosurgeon that you wife used if they are still in TJ. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results