shape
carat
color
clarity

choosing a small heart shaped diamond

Spin-Elle

Rough_Rock
Hi experts,

I'm looking for a gift for my mum. I want to get purchase a diamond (up to .6 carat) to have in a simple pendant. I am quite enamored with the idea of a heart shaped diamond.
What things should I be looking for? I am a little confused about ratios. I don't want it to look to long and skinny or too short. Is this size too small for hearts? I can just go for a simple round.
So far I have been looking on blue nile and james allen. Is this a good place to start?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like fat hearts but overall, a balanced ratio will look pleasing. I would only shop for hearts from vendors that provide pictures, a video and ASET imaging. Blue Nile doesn't provide this so you might have to ship back and forth to see the stone in person to decide, which racks up shipping costs. If going with rounds, there is less risk shopping at Blue Nile because you can shop by the numbers, unlike for hearts.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI Spin-Elle,
Heart shapes are one of the most taste based shapes.
What I mean is that there's a lot of different shapes that will qualify as a "heart"

Personally I feel pictures are your best friend in selecting. Definitely not a shape you want to buy blind:)

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was going to buy the JA heart diamond above-- it's a nice one :) (but then decided to save my $)

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
I think it is Love Affair Diamonds that has posted some gorgeous heart askew pendants. Been eyeing those myself. :)

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Spin-Elle|1455634549|3991598 said:
Hi experts,

I'm looking for a gift for my mum. I want to get purchase a diamond (up to .6 carat) to have in a simple pendant. I am quite enamored with the idea of a heart shaped diamond.
What things should I be looking for? I am a little confused about ratios. I don't want it to look to long and skinny or too short. Is this size too small for hearts? I can just go for a simple round.
So far I have been looking on blue nile and james allen. Is this a good place to start?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Hi Spin-Elle :wavey: - what a great gift idea for your mum!
Have you looked at a 3 claw setting for a heart shape this size? It will still protect the point, but it helps keep the face-up heart shape outline more noticeable - the outline can get a bit lost in some other settings. And because it's a pendant, there is minimal risk of knocking/damaging the stone if the girdle is a bit more exposed.
Shape really is a personal preference, and many will recommend a 1:1 ratio - but I personally tend to like a ratio of 0.85...ish.
And if you can find a table around 60% and a depth just under 60%, you should have a pretty nicely balanced stone.
Just keep an eye on the cleft to make sure it's not too deep/shallow, and that both lobes are symmetrical.
Hope this helps

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results