shape
carat
color
clarity

Choosing a setting...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TheKid

Rough_Rock
This site and forum have been so helpful to me, I thought I would pass on a nice web site I found... In trying to decide on a setting, a search on DeBeers gave me:

http://www.adiamondisforever.com

If anyone is looking for setting ideas... This is the place! Browse their gallery and you can even email a picture of a setting you like to someone. Definitely worth a look.

2 quick questions to any of you jewelers...

- Does White Gold or Platinum hold it's "shine" longer? Which will look better over time? I'm leaning towards Platinum.

- I really like the antique look of a "carved" or etched band. Is this especially difficult to reproduce (and thus expensive) in Platinum?

THANKS!:naughty:

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Go with platinum which can be polished from time to time. There are lots of companies that make engraved platinum bands and custom jewelers who do as well. Just make sure that, if you go custom, you work with someone whose bench jeweler is very experienced and adept at working with that metal as it does take skill.:))

wanda25

Rough_Rock
Definetly PLATINUM!
I personally love Princess cut! Here is a beautiful example..
:))

412PrincessB.jpg

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
https://www.pricescope.com/ring_pt.asp
Platinum, one of the rarest precious metals, is a white metal and does not need any colouring agent. The appeal of platinum is in its unique white luster. Around 5% of other metals are added (iridium) to give platinum better hardness and wearing qualities. Platinum has advantages over white gold, but is very expensive because it is so rare and weighs half as much again as white gold. It is mainly used on fine gem set pieces of jewelry.

While not as strong as many jewelers suggest it is, platinum is very hard wearing and clings to itself. A platinum ring will wear through any gold bands worn beside it on the same finger.

It is almost twice as heavy as 14-karat gold, which gives a "heft" to fine jewelry, which people naturally equate with value. In recent years platinum has rapidly grown in popularity. It's become the new choice for many diamond engagement rings. It brings out the brilliance of fine diamonds better than gold.

TheKid

Rough_Rock
lawmax - Thanks. I found several companies that do custom engraving on-line. Some great examples to show my jeweler.

wanda25 - So does my girlfriend! I liked your example (beautiful ring), but not a big fan of 2 different "side" stones. I'm leaning towards trillions on the side and some sort of simple engraving of the band to give an antique look.

Cut Nut - Thanks... It seems pretty much a no brainer that I will be going with Platinum. I was just concerned aboud engraving platinum and it "weakening" the band. Someone mentioned that to me, although I doubt they have any idea what they were talking about!

Thanks to all....

:appl: J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS :appl:

wanda25

Rough_Rock
yes! I like just plain baguettes or TRILLIONS!! That would look so nice...JUST REMEMBER... get it set medium to high..it will look absolutely beautiful!

:))

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results