shape
carat
color
clarity

Choosing a cushion stone for a HW "The One" clone

cushionhalosearch

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I am in the process of looking for a cushion cut diamond, to eventually be used for a HW "The One" copycat. I'm starting to learn about how to select a stone (ASET etc) but I figured I might as well ask here since every time I wanted to reference anything it led me here anyways!

I'm in the process of looking through stones with Chris from BE, and I had a question about one of the stones he sent me.

test_2.jpg

So to me (please tell me if I'm wrong), this looks pretty good, lots of red and a small amount of green. But there is that spot of leakage right in the middle. It does show up as you might expect in video too, just as a dark dot in the middle of the stone. Could you guys perhaps give your thoughts on this stone? 1.71 carat, G, VS1.

TIA!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That stone is a newly cut antique cushion. Many antique stones such as Old European cuts and antique cushions will have a culet facet cut rather than having a pointed culet. While I love antique cuts, if she is expecting a HW look-alike, then you need to go with a modern cushion.

cushionhalosearch

Rough_Rock
Interesting. Thanks! Just as a check if I'm learning about ASET correctly, would you say that stone is pretty good?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's an awesome stone.

But you need to make sure an antique faceted cushion is going meet her expectations.

Has she actually tried on the actual HW ring?

cushionhalosearch

Rough_Rock
Well now that I know that that is an antique style stone, I would say it's probably not the one I need - just wanted to check if I am learning correctly!

She did try on a couple of the HW in store, the one she fell in love with was a 1.3 carat. Any idea the size range that might be for them? I'm learning that it varies a good bit but idk if they generally use a specific type of stone.

The stones you linked look nice too... Having trouble narrowing down from "looks nice" to "that's the one"...

cushionhalosearch

Rough_Rock
Can anyone help me out with this other stone?

image_612.jpg

1.95 carat, E/VS2, 57% table, 69.1% depth, excellent polish/symmetry

Any thoughts?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks good. What is the diameter? Always important to watch diameter measurements on cushions because they are often deep and some face up smaller than others.

Also, seeing the facet pattern is as important as the ASET. Can you post the magnified image of the stone?

sharonp

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1459809703|4015420 said:
That stone is a newly cut antique cushion. Many antique stones such as Old European cuts and antique cushions will have a culet facet cut rather than having a pointed culet. While I love antique cuts, if she is expecting a HW look-alike, then you need to go with a modern cushion.

Who told you Harry Winston Micropave rings can't have vintage faceted cushions?

hwg-pic1.png

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
cushionhalosearch|1460000015|4016455 said:

image_612.jpg

Any thoughts?

It's okay. But I've seen better.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sharonp|1460005553|4016476 said:
diamondseeker2006|1459809703|4015420 said:

Who told you Harry Winston Micropave rings can't have vintage faceted cushions?

hwg-pic1.png

I don't recall saying they "can't" have antique cushions. I believe most of the ones in the HW stores will be modern, though. They are two very different looks, and unless she has specifically stated that she prefers antique cushions, I would assume she has seen modern. You very rarely see antique cushions in new rings in jewelry stores.

cushionhalosearch

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies!

image_616.jpg

The size is 7.12 x 7.10 x 4.9 mm.

What is it about the stone that makes it "okay"? What are you looking for that it doesn't have?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cushionhalosearch|1460000015|4016455 said:

image_612.jpg

Any thoughts?

With respect to your above question (in post above). All that blue and sort of mottled/blotchy/blurred color in the center of the stone is leakage. You can see it in the real image also.

Like Gypsy said, it's not bad but its not the best. If it were me, I would look around a little more. If you dont find anything you can
come back to this one (as long as it doesn't sell).

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is your budget? specs?

Edit - I checked out Enchanted diamonds and JA and didnt see anything that I thought might be better. I found some that I thought
were about the same. Hopefully someone else can look around for you and see if they can find anything better.

I thought this one was pretty (and similar in performance) but it's probably not in your specs but I'll point it out anyway cause it's
purtty :)) .
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/Cushion/GIA-Certified-2-202-Carat-G-Color-VS1-Clarity-Diamond-J9LGCT

cushionhalosearch

Rough_Rock
Got it, thanks for the clarification.

My budget is about $17k for the stone, looking for something in the 1.4-2 carat range (yes it's a broad range lol), vs2+, G+.

cushionhalosearch

Rough_Rock
Anybody happen to know how receptive BE is to using other stones in their custom rings? I.e. If I find a stone on JA that I like, can I buy it and send it to BE or even just tell them and buy it from BE? I like their reputation on HW clones and I like the custom design process that they have.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cushionhalosearch|1460131547|4016985 said:
Anybody happen to know how receptive BE is to using other stones in their custom rings? I.e. If I find a stone on JA that I like, can I buy it and send it to BE or even just tell them and buy it from BE? I like their reputation on HW clones and I like the custom design process that they have.

I'm pretty sure they will set outside stones because we recommend them all the time for nice halos. The other option you can
try is that if you find a stone at another vendor, ask BE if they can get it. Depending on who owns the stone it's a possibility.

cushionhalosearch

Rough_Rock
tyty333|1460137191|4017017 said:

I'm pretty sure they will set outside stones because we recommend them all the time for nice halos. The other option you can
try is that if you find a stone at another vendor, ask BE if they can get it. Depending on who owns the stone it's a possibility.

Ok, thanks for the info. Is there some secret for looking for stones with good light properties? Or is it more of a process of having the other qualities in a search engine (color, clarity, etc) and then looking through the ASET for each individual stone (what I'm doing now)?

This process is turning out to be tough!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cushionhalosearch|1460139400|4017043 said:

Ok, thanks for the info. Is there some secret for looking for stones with good light properties? Or is it more of a process of having the other qualities in a search engine (color, clarity, etc) and then looking through the ASET for each individual stone (what I'm doing now)?

You cannot search for a cushion with a search engine. You have to look on vendor sites that offer photos and preferably ASET images.

Just for further clarification, the last stone you linked had almost no leakage. White is leakage when the stone is against a white background. The blue is contrast. Stones move and some facets turn on and off as the stone moves. Red, blue, and green are all good with red showing the brightest light return.

https://www.americangemsociety.org/aset-images-of-diamonds

Do you have the regular image of that diamond or not? I prefer an organized, symmetrical facet pattern, personally. That stone may not be the best. But you always need to show the regular stone photo and not just the ASET image.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the looks of this one (Gypsy's top choice):

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/Cushion/GIA-Certified-2-01-Carat-G-Color-VS2-Clarity-Diamond-PW3G2U

It is 7.1 mm in diameter. The second choice stone is 7.0 x 7.2mm

This is the one I posted:

https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/view/Cushion/GIA-Certified-2-01-Carat-G-Color-VS1-Clarity-Diamond-88VTHD

It is 7.5 x 7.7 mm.

That is a lot of diameter difference for the money. I am just reinforcing to cushionhalosearch to please watch the diameters because some are bigger than others.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very good point. I would make sure none of those is measured on the diagonal.

Also if the light return at the edges doesn't ASET out red the stones willlook smaller despite larger measurement. I've seen it in person. :roll:

cushionhalosearch

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of the information!!

I have been either with her or busy for the past few days and so haven't had time to look into the links etc, but will try to do so soon and see how I can further my search. Thanks so much for the help!

cushionhalosearch

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1460142831|4017060 said:
cushionhalosearch|1460139400|4017043 said:

You cannot search for a cushion with a search engine. You have to look on vendor sites that offer photos and preferably ASET images.

Just for further clarification, the last stone you linked had almost no leakage. White is leakage when the stone is against a white background. The blue is contrast. Stones move and some facets turn on and off as the stone moves. Red, blue, and green are all good with red showing the brightest light return.

https://www.americangemsociety.org/aset-images-of-diamonds

Do you have the regular image of that diamond or not? I prefer an organized, symmetrical facet pattern, personally. That stone may not be the best. But you always need to show the regular stone photo and not just the ASET image.

I posted the photo in an above post, but here it is again:

image_616.jpg

I also have a video, but I'm not sure how to post it here....

I've definitely been paying attention to the dimensions of the stone, that was one of the first things Chris said to pay attention to was the size rather than the carat weight!

cushionhalosearch

Rough_Rock

cushionhalosearch

Rough_Rock
Also, any advice on dimensions that I should be looking for? I've been erring on the side of larger because I haven't been sure, but the stone she liked at HW was 1.5 carats (not 1.3 as mentioned above). I wish I knew the dimensions of it :wall: but any idea on a range that I should look for to keep the size at least as large as that stone??

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
An eyeclean Si1 will look the same as a VS2 that is also eyeclean. Yes, I recommend you stretch your specs to include eyeclean Si1 stones.

You aren't sacrificing anything you can see to do so.

As for my top choice being picked. Well, we have lots of lurkers. So we really appreciate it if people ask for stone recommendations when they are actually ready to buy and put our picks on hold for themselves. It's respectful of our time. Because otherwise (we do this as a hobby, we don't get paid or anything) it wastes our time.

So if you are ready to buy then when we recommend stones, look them over. Anything that seems like a likely candidate for you should be put on hold (no cost, no obligation) and then you can ask your questions.

Other wise either we've wasted our time. Or a lurker will steal the stones out from under you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results