shape
carat
color
clarity

Choose a sapphire for me?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
hi!
I'm running in circles. I've seen most of what is available locally, and having a hard time sorting through what is available online.

My budget is $1500 for the stone. I would like to set the sapphire in a delicate halo like the Ritani Endless love halo or in a Legacy style ring like the Vatche Princess Grace. If it happened to cost less for the stone, well, no complaints there either.

I've been looking for a squarish cushion cut blue sapphire. I like medium blue, not too dark or too light. If it has a bit of purple in it, that's fine. I don't want one with greenish undertones.

Heat treated is fine. Cut and color are my top priorities. I want it to be really sparkly.

I'd like to get around 7 mm square if I can.

I'd be thrilled if I could find a stone like Ltlfirecracker's!

Ltlfirecracker's sapphire

If anyone has seen something online that might work, please post!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
hi Freke, that looks really pretty. I agree with you on the cut though. The price seems too good to be true - am I missing something? Do you know much about that vendor?
I don''t think it''s quite what I am looking for but I appreciate you posting it!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't really know anything about the vendor, but I've been eying one of their green sapphires for months. I don't know how I came across their site either. Maybe do a search here and see if anyone has worked with them? And email them and ask for more pics? (I'd do that one anyway!)

ETA: Have you emailed any of the vendors to ask if they might have anything in stock or have any contacts who might have something like what you're looking for? That might be one way to go.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I found that too, but dismissed it because it isn''t square as you want. I haven''t bought from Marty, but have heard that he''s legit.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Harriet and Freke! I'll keep that vendor in mind even though that isn't quite the perfect stone for me.
I've been working with one vendor, and they've been great, but thus far haven't been able to locate exactly what I'm looking for. I'm exploring other options and if I can't find it elsewhere I'll check back with them.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
OK, I decided to bite the bullet and buy the one that has been "talking" to me for a few weeks now:

My sapphire

The price seems really good to me so I was hesitant to post the link before in case anyone else snapped it up in my indecisiveness!

If it is not what I want, I think returns will be very easy. I can't wait to receive it!

It's significantly below my budget, but something about the color just grabs me, and it's never a bad thing to save some money. If it's not what I'm hoping for, I can try one that's more expensive. But fingers crossed that my sapphire is on its way home!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
28.gif

I hope it works out!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Freke! I notice your happy face makes a straight line face too - are you seeing something in the sapphire that you think looks bad?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
No no no!!!He''s winking!!!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/2/2008 3:54:53 PM
Author: FrekeChild
No no no!!!He''s winking!!!

Oh cool! I hope it is pretty - only one way to know!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Hey there, just seeing this thread. That saphire looks nice on photo, I can''t wait to see some pics on it.

I have learned some lessions with my stones, I thought I should pass them on so you can learn from me.

-Because my stone was loose, and I live in a condo, I didn''t take it out of the box outside. You really should do this in the middle of the day, even if the only safe place you can go is your car. I have learned so much about my stone by wearing it while I am driving. Look at it at every angle to see if anything comes out.

- if that is not possible, you can get a similar effect by shining a light through the back of the stone. It helps bring out inclusions that may hide in artificial or in direct light.

- also place the sapphire in between your fingers and turn it different directions, and look at the way it sparkles

- make sure to look at it in at night in artificial light. It should not black out in a lit up room at night.

And make sure you take pictures for us
4.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
TDM, that sapphire is beeeeautiful. Look at that color.
30.gif

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/2/2008 10:15:03 PM
Author: EBree
TDM, that sapphire is beeeeautiful. Look at that color.
30.gif

Thank you ebree!!!! How is your RHR project coming along? Did you get your wallet? Hope all''s well with you!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/2/2008 7:25:52 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
Hey there, just seeing this thread. That saphire looks nice on photo, I can''t wait to see some pics on it.

I have learned some lessions with my stones, I thought I should pass them on so you can learn from me.

-Because my stone was loose, and I live in a condo, I didn''t take it out of the box outside. You really should do this in the middle of the day, even if the only safe place you can go is your car. I have learned so much about my stone by wearing it while I am driving. Look at it at every angle to see if anything comes out.

- if that is not possible, you can get a similar effect by shining a light through the back of the stone. It helps bring out inclusions that may hide in artificial or in direct light.

- also place the sapphire in between your fingers and turn it different directions, and look at the way it sparkles

- make sure to look at it in at night in artificial light. It should not black out in a lit up room at night.

And make sure you take pictures for us
4.gif

Thank you so much Ltlfirecracker! I will be thrilled if my sapphire is anywhere near as nice as yours.

I''m lucky to have a secure area to take my stone outside. I will definitely spend some time with it outside. I''ll check it out in all different lights too. I am so glad I will have the 10 days to inspect it. I''ll probably take it back to my appraiser too just for a consult, that is, if I am serious about keeping it.

I never thought I''d be able to find my stone at this great a price, so I am afraid something is too good to be true... but fingers crossed that it is my dream sapphire at my dream price! I will let you guys know tomorrow!!!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Quick update, and I''m sorry that I don''t have pics but it''s been a crazy day...

The sapphire is here! I really like it!!! From what I can tell, the cut is very nice, the symmetry is great, and it looks really good from all angles! I love the shape of it - nice sharp corners, and very squarish. It seems very clean both to the eye and to the loupe (but I;m NO pro with the loupe). No window from top view - that was very important to me.

This is really cool but not sure what I think - it looks purple indoors but blue outdoors. Is that color-change?

I think it may have some extinction, but I believe every stone will have a bit of that, right? Anyway, I really really like it, and need to see what my appraiser thinks. The size is also really nice!

Thanks everyone for your help, and I''ll have pics soon, especially if I decide to keep it!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Sounds like a great stone. Mine looks purple inside and blue outside too. I think that is color shift? Cant wait to see pics :)

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2008 9:07:47 PM
Sounds like a great stone. Mine looks purple inside and blue outside too. I think that is color shift? Cant wait to see pics :)

Oh cool! That makes me feel better that yours is like that too. I really like purple, so it''s not a "problem" just different than I expected. My DH says it is darker than he expected, but I want him to see it in the daylight before jumping to any conclusions.

Do you think it is most important for a stone to look good in daylight, indoor lighting, or everywhere? This is really my first colored stone project of any significant cost, and the more I learn, the more I find that I still need to learn. I love how it looks outdoors and I like how it looks indoors, but I think some of the others I''ve looked at performed a bit better indoors. Still, of the stones I''ve spent significant time with so far, this is the first that made me say "wow" and "this could be the one."

It is going to be Sunday night before I can post pictures but I will! I''m dying to get everyone''s thoughts.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/3/2008 11:05:18 PM
Author: TanDogMom

Date: 7/3/2008 9:07:47 PM

Oh cool! That makes me feel better that yours is like that too. I really like purple, so it's not a 'problem' just different than I expected. My DH says it is darker than he expected, but I want him to see it in the daylight before jumping to any conclusions.

Do you think it is most important for a stone to look good in daylight, indoor lighting, or everywhere? This is really my first colored stone project of any significant cost, and the more I learn, the more I find that I still need to learn. I love how it looks outdoors and I like how it looks indoors, but I think some of the others I've looked at performed a bit better indoors. Still, of the stones I've spent significant time with so far, this is the first that made me say 'wow' and 'this could be the one.'

It is going to be Sunday night before I can post pictures but I will! I'm dying to get everyone's thoughts.
Well, I will say this, I now know why Richard Wise called Sapphires day stones in his book. My stone does not good look in dark rooms such as restaurants at night (where my diamonds do). But I think that is too much to expect for a sapphire. I understand where you are coming from. I like my stone, but I learned so much about it after I bought it, I would do things differently if I had it to do over just because I know more now.

My stone looks good in indirect sunlight, and it looks good inside. It really looks its best on a rainy day or in the shade. It looks blue at work during the day, and in my house during the day (both indoors). After the sun goes down and I turn my lights on, it is purple, but it does not black out. It is also purple at Tiffany's (?). It looks more like a tanzanite. But it has a ton of sparkle there. Something about the magical Tiffany lights I guess. My point is that my stone has multiple faces.

I personally think a sapphire should look great during the day, and in the early evening. Are you planning on wearing this stone to work and on the weekends? Than it should look good indoors and out. You stone looks great, clarity looks good, good sparkle, good cut, but (being honest), I share the same concern that your husband shares that it may black out in places it shouldn't. Remeber it can darken after it is set. But I am looking at a photos and sapphires are not always accurate and I may be totally wrong on this.

In the end, if you are excited about it, and you know everything about it good and bad, and you are still excited about it, you should listen to you.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
hi! I just wanted to post a quick update for Ltlfirecracker and everyone else who has been so helpful. First off I am sorry for no pictures. My laptop is not working right now and I have to get it repaired
7.gif
so I am posting from another computer, but can''t put pics on it. Anyway, after looking at the sapphire in a bunch of different lights, I think it is just too dark and also has extinction. I am really bummed, because the size and shape are awesome, and the color in certain lighting conditions is fabulous, but indoors and in low light settings it is just way too dark. Oh well, the search continues. Thanks again everyone!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I am sorry it didn't work out. But you still have a couple more months till sept, so keep looking.

I found one on Pala Gems that meets your wish list. But I am not sure if it is out of budget or not (since prices are not listed). Let me know if you are interested and I will put up the link.

ETA: My sapphire looks dull and lifeless and low light settings, I don't even bother to put it on. I don't know if that is normal or not, but just thought I would let you know. It looks fine indoors with normal lightling.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
That really is a bummer
7.gif
But you''ll find a better one.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
thanks innerkitten and ltlfirecracker. I''m going to attempt to post a few pics. I suspect they came out really bad. I can''t even tell how they came out because my laptop is dying - but let me attempt to post what I have. You guys tell me what you think.

simplysapphires 7.7.08 032 (Small).jpg

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
another

simplysapphires 7.7.08 038 (Small).jpg

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
another. It is great that I took 40 pics to get 3 decent ones. I got home after dark today so they are all inside, unfortunately.

simplysapphires 7.7.08 035 (Small).jpg

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I just don''t know. I called my appraiser to make an appointment, but I told her that I thought it was too dark and had extinction. She said there was no point bringing it in because if either of those things is bugging me then I should not buy the stone. (I appreciate her honesty - she is great!) However, other people (not PSers, not DH) seem to think I am too picky and will never be happy, which is why I am second guessing myself about returning this stone when it''s the best I''ve seen yet.

I have plenty of time and no real deadline anyway, but I never thought this would be difficult. I''m only doing this once and this is a lot of money to me so I want to do it right.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Ltlfirecracker, thanks for the pala idea! I think I see the one you are mentioning - is it 817? If so looks pretty, although I''m wondering if it may be too dark (says it is a hair dark in the description, seems to be one of my criteria now!)

Just curious, you mentioned that you would do things differently if you were doing it over (I think that is what you said.) If so, can you enlighten me?

I have bought 3 small diamonds and 1 eternity band (all small) online and did not have any trouble - no need to return anything, loved it right away. I don''t think I am a difficult person but I think buying colored stones is a whole different ballgame than diamonds. I mean, with diamonds, as long as you get the cut right, it''s not going to be an ugly stone, yaknow?

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
couple more pics... finally after over 2 yrs on PS I have gotten the hang of posting pics!

simplysapphires 7.7.08 040 (Small).jpg

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
another ETA sorry did not realize so blurry

simplysapphires 7.7.08 013 (Small).jpg

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
for contrast, i'm attaching a pic of a different sapphire that I looked at. I loved everything about it except that I decided I wanted to spend a bit more and get a bigger stone. I know the lighting conditions were different but i thought the color on this one was just perfect. (DH thought it was a bit too light for his preference, but as long as I love it he is happy.)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results