shape
carat
color
clarity

Choose a mounting for large hands and small diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

stci

Ideal_Rock
Because of my limited budget, I will have to choose a diamond of 42 carats (round). I would like that it appears largest possible but my hands are like my body, a little fatty.
9.gif

Which kind of mounting should I choose to favour my diamond?

Gloup.... excuse my bad english...
2.gif

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
What is your budget for the setting?

stci

Ideal_Rock
1000$ is really max.

Bunnifer

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/9/2007 5:00:57 PM
Author:stci
Because of my limited budget, I will have to choose a diamond of 42 carats (round). I would like that it appears largest possible but my hands are like my body, a little fatty.
9.gif

Which kind of mounting should I choose to favour my diamond?

Gloup.... excuse my bad english...
2.gif

42 carats??
23.gif

I want your "limited budget"...
31.gif

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Hi!

I think you mean 42 points not 42 carats. 42 carats and you would not be able to lift your hand :)

I think a thicker heavier band would balance out your hands. A small petite band may not look great on bigger hands.

If you stick with gold, even a heavy band should not be too much.

stci

Ideal_Rock
Oupppppppssss! I forgot the dot.........
3.gif

It''s a .42 ct....

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Is the $1000 for the setting and the diamond or for the setting only?
If it is for both . . . how much is the diamond so we can know how much money is left for the setting?

stci

Ideal_Rock
1000$ is for the setting only.

A few days ago, I wanted the whole for 1000$ but I realize that it is too difficult. I thus added 1000$ for mounting only.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
If you have $2000 total to spend, I would get a bigger stone and still go with a more basic setting . . .
gotta go right now but I will do some looking around when I get home and make a few suggestions.

lisaC

Brilliant_Rock
If you''re definitely going with a .42 diamond how about a bezel set ring? Did you want gold or platinum? Tradeshop.com has a couple different bezel designs in platinum one that was plain and one with 6 (tiny)diamonds burnished into the band within your budget.
1.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2007 5:56:01 PM
Author: lisaC
If you''re definitely going with a .42 diamond how about a bezel set ring? Did you want gold or platinum? Tradeshop.com has a couple different bezel designs in platinum one that was plain and one with 6 (tiny)diamonds burnished into the band within your budget.
1.gif
That was my thought, a bezel. They make the diamond appear bigger.

And as someone else said, if you can find a fairly inexpensive setting, use the rest toward the diamond!

devientdrow

Brilliant_Rock
Do you like more modern or more antique look? If modern I would think a bezel like others have suggested or even something edgy like checking out titanium sites that have larger, bold stone settings. If you like an antique look, I would suggest a halo setting or and Edwardian style vintage setting, like :

http://www.faycullen.com/vintage_engagement_rings.html

stci

Ideal_Rock
devientdrow -> I prefer antique style

hikerchick -> Thank you! If I understant, you prefer a bigger diamond for fat hand?

Another question:

When I was young, diamonds were an investment because they took value. Is it always true today? It seems to me that the price of diamonds does not increase so much...
22.gif

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
If you have bigger hands, a wider setting with the largest diamond you can afford will give you the most "bling" . . .
However, if you like the antique look, a halo setting will also make a smaller diamond look big.

You should maximize your budget . . . get the most for your money, you know what I mean?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
what about a 3 stone with center gemstone? get two 1/4 carat diamonds - you could save money by getting uncerted ones from say whiteflash... and having them make you a super basic ring and get a sapphire or something for the center.... jat :)

stci

Ideal_Rock
I understand...

Do you recommend to me to borrow to buy a larger diamond? Would this be a judicious investment?

stci

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2007 11:19:10 PM
Author: Cehrabehra
what about a 3 stone with center gemstone? get two 1/4 carat diamonds - you could save money by getting uncerted ones from say whiteflash... and having them make you a super basic ring and get a sapphire or something for the center.... jat :)
I never thought of that front. I am not certain to like 3 stone style... but....perhaps...

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Maybe push the envelope on your diamond to get as big as you can . . . something like this 0.73 K SI2 with a nice HCA score (1.5) and a wider white gold band. I have K SI diamond studs and I always show people and ask if they look yellow or included and people scratch their heads and say no and wonder why they weren't willing to consider a little lower color and clarity (assuming cut makes up for it) . . .
1.gif

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/9/2007 11:19:16 PM
Author: stci
I understand...

Do you recommend to me to borrow to buy a larger diamond? Would this be a judicious investment?
NO !!! That is NOT what I am suggesting at all . . . you can make your $2000 budget work for you. You should try to get the best value for your set budget. PLEASE, don''t misinterpret what I am saying as meaning you should borrow money to buy a diamond, you should work within your budget, just get the biggest diamond, you can for the money you have !!!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Probably best not to borrow to get a bigger diamond ... though prices have been going up a lot in the last few years it''s not a safe "investment".

HOWEVER .. if you purchase your stone from a vendor with a trade up policy ... if you do want to buy a larger stone in the future, your initial purchase price will be applied to the larger stone''s price *then*.

Is this for a right hand ring?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
if your''re not traditional: wide hammered gold band with diamond sort of nestled into it.

movie zombie

stci

Ideal_Rock
"PLEASE, don''t misinterpret what I am saying"

hikerchick -> Ho no... I''m sorry... it was just a question. I know you never say that I have to borrow to buy a big diamond. It''s just a question because when I was yound, my father said to me that diamond are a good investment and I am say that it was perhaps time to invest in the purchase of a larger diamond.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t know if diamonds are a good investment or not . . . but it is usually best to stay within your means and not borrow to buy . . . $2000 can be stretched pretty far and as someone else suggested, if you buy from a vendor that allows upgrades, you can always "trade up" for a larger stone when your finances allow.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Start with what you can afford now but get it through a jeweler that has an awesome upgrade policy. You can spend more later!
31.gif

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Have you considered getting a yellow diamond? Yum!

Here

.87 Radiant Cut from Diamonds By Lauren for $1809

87bb.jpg

stci

Ideal_Rock
Problem is my budget is only 2000$ for setting and diamond...
7.gif

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Stci,

Have you checked out all the options I listed above?
Don''t worry, you will get something pretty for $2000 . . . it might not be the biggest but it can still be pretty.
Consider some of the options above . . . if you think you will upgrade later, choose a vendor who will allow that.

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
How about get something like the wide filigree band $350 mounting in ebay 150071441773 and put the rest of the budget intp a larger stone from a PS vendor? This setting looks great w/ 4.5mm ip to 7 or 7.5mm. A marquise or asscher would be cool in dropped in there, too. Jeweler can take out the head & change it for bezel or different head. It''s a great mounting. I''ve seen it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results