shape
carat
color
clarity

Choices, what would you do?

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you had say 10-15K and already had a nice diamond or two, would you buy another diamond or a rare neon pink to red spinel?

How is the work of Jim Rentfrow of Flawless Facets? He has a couple of larger spinels on his website which look devine.

4.85 Round Mahenge Spinel or 3.42 Asscher Mahenge Spinel

http://flawlessfacets.com/products-page/

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You DO know which part of the subforum this is, right, so naturally, most answers will be biased towards getting a coloured gemstone. :bigsmile: The colour of the asscher cut spinel looks nicer than the round, based on pictures alone, without knowing the lighting condition of both.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1305201980|2919535 said:
You DO know which part of the subforum this right, so naturally, most answers will be biased towards getting a coloured gemstone. :bigsmile: The colour of the asscher cut spinel looks nicer than the round, based on pictures alone, without knowing the lighting condition of both.
Thanks Chrono, I was hoping you would see this and give your opinion! Yes I know most people on this forum certainly are in favor of color gems. But let's just talk about comparing the rarity of these Mahenge spinels compared to diamonds. What are your thoughts?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In terms of rarity, actually getting a very fine coloured gemstone (Mahenge spinel or other) is actually more difficult and/or rare than getting the perfect D/IF diamond. ;))

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1305202504|2919541 said:
In terms of rarity, actually getting a very fine coloured gemstone (Mahenge spinel or other) is actually more difficult and/or rare than getting the perfect D/IF diamond. ;))
So, if I wanted to find a rare Spinel where would I begin? I am not set in stone on a VERY specific color, just want a beautiful, high quality stone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you fussed with requiring it to be precision cut or will a good "native" cut suffice?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
They are more rare than diamonds. But, so are a lot of other gemstones, including the fine qualities of: red spinels, blue spinels, emeralds, rubies, sapphires, Benitoite, bixbite, alexandrite and others. Like Chrono, I'd rather have a spinel than a diamond given that I already have the diamond basics (studs, pendant, etc.)

It is fabulous to have something that is rare; but, are you asking about rarity in terms of resale value, or just for the sake of comparing rarity?

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1305202867|2919545 said:
Are you fussed with requiring it to be precision cut or will a good "native" cut suffice?
No, just want to spend my money wisely and have a beautiful stone.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IndyLady|1305202949|2919546 said:
They are more rare than diamonds. But, so are a lot of other gemstones, including the fine qualities of: red spinels, blue spinels, emeralds, rubies, sapphires, Benitoite, bixbite, alexandrite and others. Like Chrono, I'd rather have a spinel than a diamond given that I already have the diamond basics (studs, pendant, etc.)

It is fabulous to have something that is rare; but, are you asking about rarity in terms of resale value, or just for the sake of comparing rarity?
This would be something to certainly keep in mind.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
If you don't buy that portuguese round, I'm going to sell one of my children (or both) to bring that bad boy home to Mama!! :love: :love:
MAHENGE ****!!!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Upgradable|1305203447|2919554 said:
If you don't buy that portuguese round, I'm going to sell one of my children (or both) to bring that bad boy home to Mama!! :love: :love:
MAHENGE ****!!!
That thing is GORGEOUS :love: I so would like to have it. No price, should I call?

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I e-mailed him. I will let you know!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, the 4ct round is not available
but the asscher is!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was watching GSN the other day (yes, I know), but Ben Kho, a lapidary, buys time from the channel to offer his precision cuts. I will say he has fair pricing on some very neon, crystal, clean, and precision cut Mahenge's. He has a website, so perhaps you should email him.

These Ben Kho stones were hot hot hot, at least on the television monitor they were. No orange at all to my eye.

Ben Kho is an award winning lapidary, and Barry sometimes sells some of his stones.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1305213275|2919663 said:
I was watching GSN the other day (yes, I know), but Ben Kho, a lapidary, buys time from the channel to offer his precision cuts. I will say he has fair pricing on some very neon, crystal, clean, and precision cut Mahenge's. He has a website, so perhaps you should email him.

These Ben Kho stones were hot hot hot, at least on the television monitor they were. No orange at all to my eye.

Ben Kho is an award winning lapidary, and Barry sometimes sells some of his stones.
Thanks TL, trying to find his website, no luck?

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
bright ice|1305217616|2919727 said:
TL|1305213275|2919663 said:

Thanks TL, trying to find his website, no luck?
http://www.benkho.com/

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have nothing significant to add to this conversation, but I just thought I'd tell you that daydream all of the time having $15k to spend on the perfect colored gemstone.

Pardon me - I'm off to daydream some more. :D

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Choice? You honestly think there is a choice to be considered here? :rolleyes: ( :wink2: )

Diamonds... two a penny, amazing coloured stone... yes please!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Yup most of us will say spinel since this is the colored stone forum. I vote for spinel!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Diamonds are really overpriced right now unless you find them on the secondary market. So I'm coming over to the colored stone side myself!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find that fine colored diamonds (yellows, pinks, blues) are actually a good gem to buy as well, and you can probably get back all your money, plus some, if you resell. Colorless diamonds, well, they're really too abundant to consider purchasing and then thinking about reselling later, unless they're enormous (Liz Taylor size).

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Gak! me likey

I need to come back to CS. Soon as the wedding is over :Up_to_something: :Up_to_something: :Up_to_something:

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Bright Ice, I know you are making a rather large purchase, so I just wanted to mention that like diamonds, colored stones do not really make a good 'investment' in case that is part of what you are seeking. Some stones are easier to re-sell than others, and some stones will go up in price as time goes on, but, the 'market' for the re-sale of colored stones is fairly small. Just something to keep in mind.

Like TL said, colored diamonds are an option if you're thinking 'investment'.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IndyLady|1305292997|2920618 said:
Bright Ice, I know you are making a rather large purchase, so I just wanted to mention that like diamonds, colored stones do not really make a good 'investment' in case that is part of what you are seeking. Some stones are easier to re-sell than others, and some stones will go up in price as time goes on, but, the 'market' for the re-sale of colored stones is fairly small. Just something to keep in mind.

Like TL said, colored diamonds are an option if you're thinking 'investment'.

Thanks IndyLady.

It is not considered an "investment". I am just wanting to make a good choice with my colored gem purchase. I certainly hope that I am buying a red spinel that will be in higher demand and maybe appreciate in value if I ever wanted to sell.

I don't plan on spending the entire amount of funds on any 1 item. I certainly may look into a small colored diamond though :naughty:

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Ah, wonderful! I was just offering a little caution since you were new to the cs board, but it seems that you don't need any! Way to be a sharp shooter..most of us take a some time figuring out the ropes and stumbling over a few starter or learning gems. I think you're one of the few around that has found something special on the first try!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results