shape
carat
color
clarity

Chip in my Round Center Stone

Discussion in 'RockyTalky' started by twein28, Jan 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
  1. twein28
    Rough_Rock

by twein28 » Jan 15, 2009
    Hi All...I am using my grandma''s center stone for my engagement ring. It had a chip in it and I got it recut by a diamond cutter, but in order to keep the stone over 2 carats, they left a small chip in it (not visible to human eye) and the jeweler told me it is safe to leave this way (otherwise I would have to go under 2 carats). I am now getting my setting through someone else and he can''t cover the chip in the stone b/c there is a small black mark that is more visible to the eye that he wants to cover. Do you think my stone will be safe down the road? The cutter assured me that it''s safe with the small chip, but now I am nervous and I don''t want to put the stone under additional stress again by having it recut. Feedback anyone??

2. Lorelei
    Super_Ideal_Rock

by Lorelei » Jan 15, 2009
    I would get advice from an independant appraiser as to the best way to proceed with setting this diamond, here is a tool you can use to find one in your area.

https://www.pricescope.com/appr_list.aspx

3. denverappraiser
    Ideal_Rock
    Trade

by denverappraiser » Jan 15, 2009
    1) Listen to your cutter.
    2) Bind an insurance policy so that, if any problem comes up it’s someone elses’ (which may involve the above mentioned appraisal).
    3) Enjoy your wonderful new ring without worry.
    4) Say thank you to Grandma.

Neil Beaty
    GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
    Professional Appraisals in Denver

4. twein28
    Rough_Rock

by twein28 » Jan 15, 2009
    thank you!!! I feel better now!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.