shape
carat
color
clarity

Chip in my Round Center Stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

twein28

Rough_Rock
Hi All...I am using my grandma''s center stone for my engagement ring. It had a chip in it and I got it recut by a diamond cutter, but in order to keep the stone over 2 carats, they left a small chip in it (not visible to human eye) and the jeweler told me it is safe to leave this way (otherwise I would have to go under 2 carats). I am now getting my setting through someone else and he can''t cover the chip in the stone b/c there is a small black mark that is more visible to the eye that he wants to cover. Do you think my stone will be safe down the road? The cutter assured me that it''s safe with the small chip, but now I am nervous and I don''t want to put the stone under additional stress again by having it recut. Feedback anyone??

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/15/2009 12:21:54 PM
Author:twein28
Hi All...I am using my grandma''s center stone for my engagement ring. It had a chip in it and I got it recut by a diamond cutter, but in order to keep the stone over 2 carats, they left a small chip in it (not visible to human eye) and the jeweler told me it is safe to leave this way (otherwise I would have to go under 2 carats). I am now getting my setting through someone else and he can''t cover the chip in the stone b/c there is a small black mark that is more visible to the eye that he wants to cover. Do you think my stone will be safe down the road? The cutter assured me that it''s safe with the small chip, but now I am nervous and I don''t want to put the stone under additional stress again by having it recut. Feedback anyone??
I would get advice from an independant appraiser as to the best way to proceed with setting this diamond, here is a tool you can use to find one in your area.

https://www.pricescope.com/appr_list.aspx

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
1) Listen to your cutter.
2) Bind an insurance policy so that, if any problem comes up it’s someone elses’ (which may involve the above mentioned appraisal).
3) Enjoy your wonderful new ring without worry.
4) Say thank you to Grandma.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

twein28

Rough_Rock
thank you!!! I feel better now!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results