shape
carat
color
clarity

Chemical reaction; ammonia and water

Viola

Shiny_Rock
So I started cleaning my diamond jewelry with ammonia and water. When I mix the ammonia and water before putting the jewelry in, the solution is clear at this point. Then I put the jewelry in the solution, a few minutes after this, quite large white/light grey particles start to form, is this normal? Is it dirt (I doesn’t look like it) ?

Last edited:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
What type of jewellery and what metals?

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
It's the dissolved gunk from your jewelry.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's the dissolved gunk from your jewelry.
Probably unless its silver, base metal or low kt white gold with silver.
That it happens quickly would point towards you being right.
If its not distilled water there is a chance of a reaction also with something in the water when the metal is added.
If its not the metal type, I would try distilled water and if it still does it I would not worry about it.

OcnGypZ

Shiny_Rock
Even the distilled water gets gunky... I just put my two diamond solitaires and my studs in a glass bowl with hot distilled water and ammonia. Let them soak for three minutes... ooh.. they were DIRTY!

Viola

Shiny_Rock
Probably unless its silver, base metal or low kt white gold with silver.
That it happens quickly would point towards you being right.
If its not distilled water there is a chance of a reaction also with something in the water when the metal is added.
If its not the metal type, I would try distilled water and if it still does it I would not worry about it.

I’ll try doing the same procedure tomorrow and take a photo. It’s regular tap water.

At first I thought that the platinum might’ve been rhodium plated, and that it was the rhodium coming off. But the same thing happened with my 18kt gold ring.

Viola

Shiny_Rock
Even the distilled water gets gunky... I just put my two diamond solitaires and my studs in a glass bowl with hot distilled water and ammonia. Let them soak for three minutes... ooh.. they were DIRTY!

I just assumed my rings weren’t that gunky, I’m pretty hysterical when it comes to cleaning them. But I wasn’t aware that a regular pave band could collect so much dirt, even though I clean it at least a couple of times a week with a toothbrush and dish soap. I sometimes put it in my US as well.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Viola

Shiny_Rock
couldn’t help myself. I just cleaned the ring again. Ok so less particles in the water than last time. But still. BE4A1320-7DF7-486B-816F-807D982D2859.jpeg 4BF68C3B-5F16-494B-AAEF-F7AE81501B43.jpeg

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
A white or brown precipitate could be from the ammonia reacting with zinc or manganese from whatever the glass was previously washed with. I don't know what concentration your final solution is.

Viola

Shiny_Rock
A white or brown precipitate could be from the ammonia reacting with zinc or manganese from whatever the glass was previously washed with. I don't know what concentration your final solution is.

I washed the glass with regular dishwashing soap. The solution is about 1/4 ammonia 3/4 boiled tap water.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
I washed the glass with regular dishwashing soap. The solution is about 1/4 ammonia 3/4 boiled tap water.

It's likely a metals precipitate from the free ammonia in the solution.

Viola

Shiny_Rock
It's likely a metals precipitate from the free ammonia in the solution.

So if it’s a metals precipitate will this not happen if I use distilled water?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
So if it’s a metals precipitate will this not happen if I use distilled water?

In some places the water is 'hard' and you get a precipitation like the scale in the bottom of your kettle.
I do not think that has anything to do with this issue and distilled water is nothing to do with this issue.
It is gunk.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you lotion up with rings on, or put your rings on right after you put lotion on?

Viola

Shiny_Rock
Do you lotion up with rings on, or put your rings on right after you put lotion on?

No, not really. But, I wear it doing dishes, when cooking for the most part, and sleep with it on. :roll:

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
Gunk. Ammonia can not attack precious metals or mineral gems.
Use boiling water, add a little ammonia and dish detergent and scrub with a stiff toothbrush

you're misinterpreting what I'm saying. It's not metals from the ring, noble metals don't precipitate with ammonium groups, but the minerals in the water, soap, foods, oils from your hair and skin, etc that precipitate out of solution in a weak solution of aqueous ammonia.

Ammonia is used to leach platinum and palladium from items such as catalytic converters, so it's not quite correct to say that ammonia cannot attack precious metals. Of course it can, it is just happening on a molecule scale.

Viola

Shiny_Rock
I went to the store and bought a bottle of distilled water. And did the same cleaning process as yesterday. No particles. I did the same with regular water/ammonia again. And no particles. :confused: So most likely gunk I guess.

ChickityChicken

Rough_Rock
Not to thread jack, but is ammonia and water safe to use on 18k rose/ yellow gold (two tone) ring?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results