shape
carat
color
clarity

Checking before online purchase

gstmks

Rough_Rock
Hi All! This is a great resource, thanks! I'm close to purchasing this diamond online and wanted to see if anyone could share potential concerns or pitfalls? Thanks again!

Carat :1.31
GIA Color:G, Clarity: VS2, Cut: Excellent
Depth %:58.70, Table %:60.00, Crown angle: 32, Pavilion Angle: 41, Culet:None
Polish:Excellent
Symmetry:Excellent
Fluorescence:None
7.18*7.20*4.22

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gstmks|1400180145|3673613 said:
Hi All! This is a great resource, thanks! I'm close to purchasing this diamond online and wanted to see if anyone could share potential concerns or pitfalls? Thanks again!

Carat :1.31
GIA Color:G, Clarity: VS2, Cut: Excellent
Depth %:58.70, Table %:60.00, Crown angle: 32, Pavilion Angle: 41, Culet:None
Polish:Excellent
Symmetry:Excellent
Fluorescence:None
7.18*7.20*4.22

Hi and gst and welcome!

I just wanted to ask firstly, is this diamond intended for a ring? Also, does the vendor that has the diamond have any images such as ASET or Idealscope for this diamond? It has potential although it is a bit shallow in the depth and the crown angle, it would be advantageous to be able to check it out properly and we can't do that without reflector images unfortunately. What is your priority, do you want the best cut diamond you can get or do you want a nicely cut diamond and maximum size? If you could give us a little more info please, then we can go from there and maybe find you some alternatives if needed.

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
Hi OP, I was curious and a little skeptical, so I plugged your values into HCA and it scores a 1.4, wow. With a depth under 60%, the spread is pretty nice, meaning it faces up big for it's weight. It will likely have a different look, maybe more like a 60/60 stone which is more brilliant white light return but very sparkly, with maybe less colored flashes, but the HCA predicted excellent fire and very good scintillation. Good luck with your purchase. Please come back if you want some other options or photos of the stone or setting recs. How do you plan to set it?

gstmks

Rough_Rock
Hi - Thank you for the quick replies.

Yes, the diamond is intended for a ring. I'd like a diamond that is cut well but also relatively shallow as I want the profile of the ring as low as possible. It's a JA diamond, I'm not sure if they have those images, but I can check. My plan is to use this stone as a center stone and flank it with bezel set baguettes. I want to avoid the big-rock-sticking-up-off-of-a-ring look.

Thanks for your help!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Post the link. Shallow stone will be negligible in the overall height of the ring, not even a mm.

gstmks

Rough_Rock
I meant width/depth, thanks!

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
i don't think that's how it works ..The setting will determine how it sits. You want ideal specs so you get optimum light return for a sparkly stone.

for an excellent cut the table is a little large (54-58 )and the depth a little short (60-62.3) crown angle also should be in 3435 That's just going by guidelines

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The difference between shallow and deep stones will be tenths of a millimeter, not even a half. The design of the setting is more important to achieving an elegant flow.

gstmks

Rough_Rock
Thank you - That makes sense when the difference in height in in hundredths of a millimeter.

Should I not really believe the HCA score in this case or do you just feel that this is not a typical "excellent" cut stone?

luvdajules

Brilliant_Rock
Ask JA for an aset of the stone. They will provide up to 3, I've heard. So, once you get that, link it here and we can discuss the light return performance. My guess from the HCA it should look good. It's definitely unconventional specs but if ideal proportions aren't super important to you, it could be a good stone. But we can't really go on to say without the aset.

gstmks

Rough_Rock
JA is producing an idealscope for the stone. Thanks everyone!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JulieN|1400184287|3673656 said:
Post the link. Shallow stone will be negligible in the overall height of the ring, not even a mm.

Just ditto -ing Jules here, depending on your setting, you might be able to request the diamond is fitted as low as possible when set, no harm in asking.

gstmks

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone - Here are idealscope images. The first is the diamond in question, the second two are some comps.

302444.jpg

302527.jpg

309054.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gstmks|1400705808|3677680 said:
Hi Everyone - Here are idealscope images. The first is the diamond in question, the second two are some comps.

Those are three excellent images, my preference with the visuals is number 2, the optical symmetry is very good indeed and the optical performance should also be excellent but they are all very nice images. From these images, my preferences are in order, 2, 3 and 1, just to check are 2 and 3 images of the stones Jules posted for you as comparisons?

gstmks

Rough_Rock
Thank you, Lorelai.

No, these are some comps that I pulled from the site.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results