shape
carat
color
clarity

check out my new "right hand ring"...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wave1127

Rough_Rock
okay,
y''all have probably seen the new diamondsareforever campaign aimed towards the independent woman of today?? "left is we, right is me"??? well i have to admit that i was a sucker for that media blitz.

i guess you could say i fit the description of that independent woman of today: thirty-something single career gal. tired of the whole dating scene. financially independent. raised by a momma who loved jewelry. inherited her 4.8 carat round solitaire when she died. still, had an insatiable itch for an emerald cut diamond.. well despite having a great boyfriend in my life, the campaign made me realize that hey, i could buy myself that diamond i have been craving...no strings attached, never have to give it back (or feel guilty for not giving it back...).

anyway, had a big tax refund this year and earmarked it for landscaping, but on a trip to san francisco, i went browsing, (really, i was "just looking") and lo and behold, impulse buy of the century...see down below. ummm, guess landscaping will have to wait a bit.

i''m really very excited about my purchase as impulsive as it may have been. sometimes i wonder if i should have researched more, but the pleasure i get from this ring is really priceless. as my brother pointed out when i was checking out the diamond "buy it sis, you know mom is up in heaven smiling down at you saying you deserve it..." and i really feel she is...

101_0154.JPG

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow that is an amazing right hand ring...what are the specs on the ring and stone? where in SF did you get it? Tiburon has an amazing store that I love with old vintage pieces that are timeless in beauty (1905 cartier 3c ring to die for!)

congratulations and wear in best of health!
1.gif

wave1127

Rough_Rock
hi,
thanks for your comments. i bought it at a jeweler called simayof. anyone here heard of them and their reputation? good, bad?

it is GIA certified, center stone 4.12 carat K color VS2 clarity, total weight of ring is 5.27.

any comments on ring from the professionals out there? your honest opinions are greatly appreciated.

thanks,
lickout.gif

tina

p.s. ummm, i am right handed so i put the ring on my left hand while taking the picture...

101_0160.JPG

Veronika

Shiny_Rock
What an amazing ring! I think it's great that you bought it for yourself! Congratulations......on that beauty. I have to admit that I just love buying jewelry for myself as well! Oh and please post some pics of the ring on your hand if you get a chance! Love it.....
love.gif

kkeen15

Shiny_Rock
Wow...that's gorgeous! What's your ring size?

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
Stunning!
love.gif
When I grow up, I'd love to have a right hand ring like yours!!!
eek.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that's gorgeous!

I'm sure your mom supports your impulse!
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like a serious jewel to me
1.gif

I definitely like the look of this EC (and this is my favorite cut to begin with). Long, elegant, plenty of "depth", impecable symmetry for everyone to see. Landscaping? Nah...

wave1127

Rough_Rock
hey kkeen15,

i wear a size 6...

thanks valeria101,

good to hear from someone who knows emerald cuts. to tell you the truth, i really did not do too much research, this stone just had so much "sparkle" and is absolutely gorgeous in person...i get lots of comments at work and people standing across the room seem to notice it right away...

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
WOW! Congratulations on your purchase. Your ring is beautiful!

Michelle

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
GOOD FOR YOU! ALthough I am married and my husband does buy me a lot of my stuff, I always have a *treat* on lay-away at my jewelers for myself-I fit another profile of the anomaly woman--30-something, career successful, and NO MATERNAL INSTINCT...all my friends are having babies and I could care less. No one seems to understand how I can be happy without children... and that it is BY CHOICE is just shocking to some... My diamonds and my doggies are my babies. I was so happy to read your post....
1.gif

So enjoy--and what a beautiful choice...exceptional ring.
love.gif
Wear in good health for many years!
appl.gif

wave1127

Rough_Rock
hi jennifer,
i completely understand the shock you experience about being happy without children. i am perfectly fine with or without them, just living life as it comes to me. life is short and diamonds make it fun...sounds like you are having lots of fun!!
1.gif

tina

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Oh my, Wave, you'd better not come up to SF again or I'm liable to knock you over the head and snatch that thing off your finger! It's simply stunning!!!!!!! My poor EC is developing an inferiority complex just by proximity to the computer screen!

Heh, I'm closing in on 35 and no maternal instinct either. I never played with dolls when I was a kid, only stuffed animals, and I can swoon over anyone's pet but I just can't get enthusiastic over other people's kids (with some rare exceptions). My mother hasn't given up hope yet, but I suspect I'm going to be living the rest of my life happy AND childless.

eyesoftexas

Shiny_Rock
Simayof has an awesome reputation for high end stuff. They are located in one of the most beautiful city squares in the US (Union Square). I also heard that you can negotiate a little with these guys versus Tiffany/Cartier/Bvlgari which are across the street or within a block.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have passed Simayof before...I was never impressed with their exterior because of all their plastered EGL and GIA signs in bright flashy colors, it's like a carnival store for diamonds. To me it didn't really speak of high quality stuff. However, your ring is very lovely! Did you get it appraised and insured? I would with a rock like that!!

Hest and Jennifer...I too fear I may be one of those gals who would be just as happy without children.
2.gif
I love dogs and we are planning to get our first one soon...so doggies and diamonds may be my thing...at least for a while. Greg waffles about kids, so until he's really sure, I don't have to think about it.
9.gif

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
I don't want to misuse this post--which should remain about that FANTASTIC ring
love.gif
--but it's not that I don't think kids are awesome and that is is a major repsonsibility; it's just that I'm not sure it is for me. My issue is the fact that still--in 2004 America--so many people (esp. other women) can't get over the fact that i may not want kids... If nothing else, it is precisely becasue I think it is a HUGE deal and important job that i shy away from it...

The dogs and diamonds are about all I can handle!
9.gif

Mara: It is so good you and Greg have open dialogue about the issue...very important for your marriage!
1.gif
Can't wait for you to get your puppy!

luckyhonu

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wave, I love your right hand ring! I was actually thinking about getting an Asscher for my right hand one day and afraid it might look too much like an engagement ring...but your ring looks so good on your right hand, you've changed my mind!

Enjoy your new bauble!

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
Yay for you! I am all for women buying themselves diamonds. The first diamond ring I ever owned I bought for myself when I was sixteen, and I am still delighted by this act of sassiness. I've just purchased diamond studs for myself to wear on my wedding day, and I also contributed to my engagement ring and wedding band. I love having a sense of ownership over these purchases.

Your ring is stunning, and don't worry about not having done research. All that is important is that you love it like you do. And that, my friend, is the name of the game.
appl.gif

wave1127

Rough_Rock
hey jennifer, hest and mara,

off topic again, but funny how we independent women are all experiencing that lack of maternal instinct. i wonder if it isn't so much instinct as it is society imposed values? i agree once you have a child, you pretty much give up your life and that independence, which again is great for some, but i am really enjoying my life the way it is. who knows maybe in the future i might adopt or even bank my eggs...

EofT, glad to hear that simayof has a good reputation. i went to the one in union square and had a good experience. i was able to haggle a bit and from the little i have researched post-sale, i feel like i got a good deal for the size and quality. i am more of a size girl, then clarity, then color. the ring color does not look yellow in person, people are surprised when i tell them it is a k color.

mara, i agree simayof was a bit flashy, their advertising and such, and especially the vegas store which i visited a couple of weeks earlier. my ring
1.gif
is appraised and insured.

and luckyhonu, asscher was my second choice in shape, hope you find just the right one for your right hand!!

kpebbles

Shiny_Rock
what a beautiful ring!! i bet it flashes like mad..

i'm also all for buying jewelry and diamonds for yourself! my boyfriend buys me lots of jewelry, but I feel like I can never have enough..hehe
1.gif

Recently, I bought myself a diamond solitare ring.. After discovering pricescope, I had to see and own one of those H&A stones. I guess it does look like an engagement ring, but I love it because I paid for it with my own hard-earned money. When I get the engagement ring, I'm thinking of having it set as a necklace.

Anyways, Congratulations on your new bauble..I'm sure you'll enjoy it for many years to come.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i definitely think that the different mentality is a product of changing society and more independence for women...i know a few other gals like myself who are just not sure...about kids. funny because in the past, our parents..yanno having or not having kids wasn't really about an OPTION, you just did it! we both waffle back and forth, i think we would be excellent parents if we took the plunge, but part of it is GETTING there to want to take that plunge and/or the huge responsibility. i was 16 when my parents had my last sister, i saw how much work it was! the reward of course was great, but man...it's hard work.
2.gif
not to mention we like our lives the way they are right now. so who knows, we are not pidgeonholing ourselves into anything yet...we just got married..figure we'll start off with a dog..and see how we do.
2.gif
a pet is a huge responsibility and we have wanted one for years, the fact that it took us this long says something about just how busy our lives really are. of course you make the room for a child and your whole life change so it's not really fair to compare, but since it IS an option nowadays...it's not required for someone to feel as though they are fulfilled...then we definitely want to make the decision as educated as possible and know that we didn't just fall into it.
2.gif

on one hand you wonder if your life would be lacking somewhat without the addition of that child, the little combination of you and your husband/loved one...i hear it's very magical. on the other hand, we look at greg's dad and stepmom who never had kids of their own together...and they are loving life and adore each other! so there are both pictures to consider.
rolleyes.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
OMG- are you guys talking about me??? lol
NO JOKE- I'm having some serious issues too. I'm going to be 31 (going on 13), an attorney (although not financially independant hehehehe...those loans, you know...and hubby makes more than me...not saying much lol)...But the thought of kids makes me sick. Just sick. I can't even get myself dressed and out the door...never mind kids. They are just going to suck the life right out of me. I just know it. I also feel as though I haven't "enjoyed" my life like I should yet. I told hubby maybe at 35...I hope I change my mind by then. I do wonder the same thing Mara- maybe my life will feel empty without them? Actually, sometimes (except for the husband and cats) I feel like I have no purpose in life. Maybe kids will change that...but is that any reason to have them? Ugh. My cousin is a doctor. She NEVER wanted kids. She hit 40 and decided she had to have one. THe baby is the love of her life. Hmmmm.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring btw!
love.gif

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
First of all, Wave, that is a stunning ring. What a lovely EC. Very nice impulse buy. I am finding more and more that diamond colors can be a personal preference, too. I find myself really loving warm colors. (maybe it's my skintone) I got married in ivory rather than white. White washes me right out.

As for you with "no maternal instincts," I think that the most important thing that you can do in your life is make a decision about kids. The worst reason to have them is because you should (society, parents, friends). I have two boys ages 2 and 4. There are days when I am the happiest mom in the world. (really wanted them and wouldn't trade them for the world) There are also days when I am run off of my feet, and I think to myself I could have had vacations and big fat honking diamonds. LOL I didn't even meet my husband until I was 29. I got married at 32 and had my first child a few months shy of 34. We had children because we really wanted to. I would not have had a problem saying so if I didn't! They are a lot of work, and they totally change your life. I love my boys more than my life, but there are days I envy my childless friends for the freedom to go and do without having to plan in advance for three days. LOL For those who don't want kids, or don't think you want them anytime soon, good for you. Enjoy your husbands or SOs and your vacations and sparklies and pets. I don't think there's anything worse than to have a child you're not sure you want except to be that child. I have a lot of friends who are childless by choice (especially after spending an afternoon at my house
11.gif
) and I applaud them for having the courage to just say so. Hope I haven't offended anyone. Just my $.02.

Shay

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haha Shay...I always say the best form of birth control is spending some time with someone else's kids!! That is usually all it takes for Greg to be put off from the idea for another 6 months or so.
2.gif
11.gif

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Too funny, Mara. I completely agree. They can be a handful.

Shay

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Shay, for those words of wisdom. I had a boss (with two lovely kids) who told me the same thing and said I should stick to my guns.

I had so many women tell me that when I hit my 30s my biological clock would kick in and I'd suddenly want kids. Nope. Still hasn't happened. I just don't think I'm hard-wired to want kids at all, the way some people just can't get enthused about some sparkly piece of carbon.
9.gif
Luckily my husband, who gets gushier about kids than I do, doesn't care either way and has left it up to me. If *his* biological clock really started ticking I'd probably have kids for him, but it's unlikely to happen. I know we can be good parents, I just don't see why I should have to be if neither of us wants to!

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 6/3/2004 5:13:14 PM Mara wrote:

Haha Shay...I always say the best form of birth control is spending some time with someone else's kids!! That is usually all it takes for Greg to be put off from the idea for another 6 months or so.
2.gif
11.gif

----------------

Funny, when my SO and I spend time around other people's kids, we want our own all the more! Well, until there are two PhDs and probably some tenure in the family, I guess it's just not really an option.

I would venture a guess that how happy people are with kids has to do very much with the attitude they went in with -- I would want to be really sure that I want kids and can handle them before getting pregnant! Of course, accidents happen, but planning is a wonderful thing.

luckyhonu

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm glad I"m not the only one who feels that way about kids...I guess now that I'm 30 something, my parents are getting a little bit antsy for grandkids, but I told them I might not have any and they're OK with that (for now).

I'll always love my godchildren to death but when it comes to having my own, that's a different story!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results