shape
carat
color
clarity

Cheated by my Jeweler

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ssg

Rough_Rock
Hello All:

I am new to this forum and joined for some specific advice. I was recently in the market for an engagement ring and after looking very long and hard I found the right setting on a wholesaler''s website. Since the company would not sell to me directly, I found a local Jeweler and decided to have them order the semi-mount for me. The ring was to be set with 6*0.05ct side-stones which I decided to purchase from the Jeweller. My specs on the side-stones were simple G-H color with VS2 clarity and I wanted the ring in 18k white gold.

I received the semi-mount yesterday after two weeks of waiting. They had finished the ring and set it with the side-stones. As soon as I left the store, I went to a different jeweler to get a second look at the stones and the setting. I was infuriated to know that the stones had been poorly set and atleast 3 were precariously loose. They were at best an SI2 - I1 clarity and one of them had a chip right on the table. The ring is also dented in 4 places and there is no stamp on it identifying it as 18k gold.

I would really appreciate some advice on how I should approach the Jeweler in question. Should I just get my money back or get the authorities involved. What kind of rights do I have in the matter and what sort of offense would this be categorized as. I have the receipt for the purchase which states the clarity of the diamonds to be VS2 and ring to be of 18k gold.

Please HELP!!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hi ssq,
I am sorry to hear of your situation.
Honestly, I would ask for your money back and go from there - getting all of your money back and starting again
is your best potential resolution in this situation.
If it were me, I would only consider taking it further if they won''t give the refund - you will not be able to have any
criminal offence charged, but you could file with small claims court I believe (if you don''t get a refund).

If they give you your refund, you are considered whole again and so there is no need for further action,
but putting in a complaint with the BBB is a good way to have their actions documented.

There was another member who had alot of problems with a jeweller a lil while ago and was given some good advice
by various members - I can try and dig up the thread if you wish.

However, before you go back to the jeweller you are going to need someone independent - meaning not competition
trying to get your business, and not connected to the store at all - to look at the ring.
If you go back in there on the word of their competition, you are not likely to get very far - do you see what I mean?

Try to find a decent independent appraiser in your area, or at least maybe a small manufacturing jeweller who also does
appraisals, something like that..
Try to have the above info documented so you have just cause for a refund.

Good luck and Pls let us know how it goes!

ssg

Rough_Rock
Thanks arjunajane. I had a similar POA, but the information on the small claims is good. I hope it does not go that far. I will post an update after I visit the jeweler today.

Thanks

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
wow ssq - that sucks!

good luck with your visit to the jeweler today!

7.gif

ssg

Rough_Rock
Got back from the jeweler. He agreed to a full refund w/o putting up a fight. It was a big relief for me, but made me think that the jeweler in question does this often, expecting the buyers to not take the jewelery anywhere else for an appraisal.

I suspect that when they get caught, they just apologize and try to pass it off as an ''honest'' mistake. This is very dishonorable and disconcerting.

I will make sure that I get the word out about them and hopefully that might save others the anguish!!

Thanks for the support and advice!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2009 4:32:11 PM
Author: ssg
Got back from the jeweler. He agreed to a full refund w/o putting up a fight. It was a big relief for me, but made me think that the jeweler in question does this often, expecting the buyers to not take the jewelery anywhere else for an appraisal.

I suspect that when they get caught, they just apologize and try to pass it off as an ''honest'' mistake. This is very dishonorable and disconcerting.

I will make sure that I get the word out about them and hopefully that might save others the anguish!!

Thanks for the support and advice!
Great news, good for you!
I would certianly put in a complaint at the BBB online - that will help "get the word out".

And if you do want help to have a ring made, there are many wonderful skilled and honest jewellers
who we can recommend you to.

If you start a thread in Rocky Talk, everyone will happilly help you
5.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am relieved that you got a refund without any fuss. Yes, please put out the word with BBB so that others will not have to experience what you went through.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So happy to hear you got a refund! There are many sources of fine quality rings around here. For custom, Maytal Hannah, Leon Mege, and Mark Morrell are all excellent. Then Pearlman''s carries a large selection of designer settings that can be ordered for the specific size stone and finger. Also, both WhiteFlash and Good Okd Gold have outstanding diamond selections and have nice settings as well.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
glad you got your money back. You might also want to review them in Yelp. That way when people search online for info about your jeweler, your review pops up first.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Glad you got a refund, and good idea about a yelp review, swimmer.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
32.gif

Guilty and they knew it. That''s terrible to do to someone. I''m glad you got your money back.

People worry about doing business on the internet. I''ll do business on the internet with a company I can research thoroughly ahead of time any day of the week.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I''m really glad that this ended well for you. What kind of setting was it? Perhaps we can help you find a similar one from one of our great PS vendors.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results