shape
carat
color
clarity

Cheaper is not always worse. More expensive is not always better.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just a random thought.
A lot of times I see huge variations in prices of virtual diamonds.
One stone I am writing an article for, for example, is mid priced and it is a shocker that slipped thru GIA and got Excellent cut. It is sooo verrryyy baaadddd.
Not sure to call it out or not?
The manufacturer (and I believe some others) found a way to totally trick/cheat GIA. And GIA have done nothing to alert buyers, nor have they changed the Report check on the stone.
upload_2019-9-3_14-49-2.png

headlight

Ideal_Rock
@Garry H (Cut Nut) This relates to my thread last week, with regard to a “diluting” of value for an Ex, as well as loss of consumer confidence.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A lot of times I see huge variations in prices of virtual diamonds.
One stone I am writing an article for, for example, is mid priced and it is a shocker that slipped thru GIA and got Excellent cut. It is sooo verrryyy baaadddd.
How bad is it Garry? :bigsmile: steep/deep or a pancake?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Nothing would surprise me these days.
Even AGS0 is being cheated with stones with eye visible cut defects getting 0.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
64.9% depth? :o. What is the diameter? 6.20mm? :bigsmile:
The smallest dimension is 6.20mm, yes DF.
The thing is that GIA claim in info that 63% is max for Ex cut. But that is based on the max depth of the deepest angle combos and the thickest allowable Slightly Thick girdle before hitting Thick which results in a grade drop.
So what happens when you trick them. Really trick them. And they don't actually measure the depth %, or actually look at the girdle or underside of the diamond????

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
sad :(( We’ve often remarked on PS about the clarity creep we’ve witnessed over the yrs applicable to both GIA & AGS. Are we now seeing a creep with cut parameters? :think::naughty:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Let's hope GIA will soon tighten up their Ex cut parameters, but if they did decide to change their cut parameters then what will happen to all those unsold steep/deep cut stones that are still out in the market?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
What happens to all the stones that slipped through in the meantime Sergey?
For example, if you do a report Check on that particular stone there is no warning to say that this stone should have not received an Excellent cut grade.
https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=7318824858
I wonder how many stones slipped through?
That stone was submitted in January.

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
What happens to all the stones that slipped through in the meantime Sergey?
For example, if you do a report Check on that particular stone there is no warning to say that this stone should have not received an Excellent cut grade.
https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=7318824858
I wonder how many stones slipped through?
That stone was submitted in January.

A lot of such diamond had been slipped in 2019 before middle summer .
in beginning the main source of such diamonds was recut. Cutters bought VG diamond with thick girdle then added pavilion extra facet to receive EX.
see sample of 5.14ct VG
Screenshot 2019-09-04 08.45.56.png
it had been recut to 5.01ct EX( crown was recut and pavilion extra facets was added)
Screenshot 2019-09-04 08.46.17.png

such cheated become well know for cutters and some of them broke common sense
Screenshot 2019-09-04 08.46.35.png

then GIA started grade such diamonds as modified round( -50% from Rapaport)
then new rules for girdle thickness measurements come .

Last edited:

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sad :(( We’ve often remarked on PS about the clarity creep we’ve witnessed over the yrs applicable to both GIA & AGS. Are we now seeing a creep with cut parameters? :think::naughty:

I had been wondering if this happened - when I first joined PS the rule was "get an Si1 if you want to be assured of it being eyeclean, but you can find an eyeclean Si2 if you look/can see pictures" whereas now that seems to have drifted to VS2 and Si1 and Si1s are only maybe eyeclean. Another reason for people to ensure things like eyecleanliness are on their insurance appraisals. You'd hate for someone who had a nice Si2 that was graded years ago to lose it and get stuck with some of the Si2s I see now that look like I1s to me.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
A lot of such diamond had been slipped in 2019 before middle summer .
in beginning the main source of such diamonds was recut. Cutters bought VG diamond with thick girdle then added pavilion extra facet to receive EX.
see sample of 5.14ct VG
Screenshot 2019-09-04 08.45.56.png
it had been recut to 5.01ct EX( crown was recut and pavilion extra facets was added)
Screenshot 2019-09-04 08.46.17.png

such cheated become well know for cutters and some of them broke common sense
Screenshot 2019-09-04 08.46.35.png

then GIA started grade such diamonds as modified round( -50% from Rapaport)
then new rules for girdle thickness measurements come .
Sergey in the example I have seen in a video, it appears there is some painting and digging going on as well. In this example you have posted it appears there is additional digging of the crown upper girdle facets in the second image. There may be a tiny bit of crown side digging in the first image - but no where near as much.
Yet this digging has not been enough to result in a downgrade.
This makes bad worse!
upload_2019-9-6_16-9-36.png

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Garry, digging does not change a maximum girdle thickness, it changes only an average girdle thickness.
Digging/Painting changes a girdle in bones and it does not change a girdle in bezel points.
So cutters do not need to do extreme digging , they just added pavilion extra facets( more effective and less work for them)

Reactions: AV_

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Garry, digging does not change a maximum girdle thickness, it changes only an average girdle thickness.
Digging/Painting changes a girdle in bones and it does not change a girdle in bezel points.
So cutters do not need to do extreme digging , they just added pavilion extra facets( more effective and less work for them)
Seems to me to be about 3 degrees shift in azimuth Sergey which would make a difference in the appearance.
upload_2019-9-6_17-42-38.png

Here is a Modern Tolkowsky DiamCalc ASET of the dug out stone profiled above - shows some deleterious effects.
upload_2019-9-6_17-43-47.png

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Garry, how does grade girdle thickness in fancy cuts? Nobody care about fancy cuts girdle thickness , small companies percentage try to cut nice fancy cuts, but PS still splits hire for RBC. Could RBC improve the diamond market? Could RBC save the diamond market? is now good time to spend our energy for nothing.? We could do something much more real helpful for the diamond market.
i do not like stuck in RBC, in minor problems.
Instead girdle thickness in RBC we have to discuss about Spread.
Instead digging in RBC we have to discuss general standards to score, grade, select any cut.

Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@Serg Yield too. It is not ugly.

2p

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results