Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity
  • Pricescope Upgrade/Maintenance Is Complete.

We still have a few things to iron out. If you see any bugs, issues or have any concerns, let us know here in this discussion.

Cheap Christmas gift, better engagement ring!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

findarock

Shiny_Rock
Appreciate everyone''s help in my E-ring search. My question is that I think that GF understands that I am "possibly looking" for a ring(Its going to be a surprise)
I am wondering is it ok for me to get her a cheaper gift for Christmas, since I am planning to get Engaged in February/March 2007? Or do you think that she may read into it and know that something is up?
Also, any suggestions of places to go, I had a list of 4 and cant seem to find the post?

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
one bird, one stone.

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
It would be good if you could combine things somehow - how were you planning to propose? For example, if you were planning an overnight stay somewhere or a weekend trip or even a really nice dinner, you could give her the gift certificate for "a weekend away" or a gift certificate to the spa or the restaurant, etc.

Then you could give her a smaller present, maybe even a small promise ring. That might help to put her mind at ease also. I'm sure if you've been together for a while she's wondering.

Check out The Facets Collection. They have excellent quality stuff for reasonable prices.

The next thing you'll have to mitigate is Valentine's Day!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2006 1:34:37 PM
Author: Regular Guy
one bird, one stone.
::ahem:: two birds, two stones - though one doesn''t need a stone ;-)

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Well if she doesn''t know you''re going to propose she might read into the cheap gift in a bad way. Why not just get something reasonable since you''re not proposing for several months? She''s probably going to end up getting you something nice. Personally I don''t like combo gifts but you''re not even giving the ring at Christmastime.

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
I think if you're dropping a couple grand on a ring, she can take a lesser gift at christmas... She'll understand in the end. After all, this is not a typical combo gift like christmas and a birthday. It's an engagement ring!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, unfortunately you need to give her a Christmas gift that stands on it''s own, since the proposal won''t happen until March.

Look at Signed Pieces/Facets, WhiteFlash hads some pretty jewelry items.

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
I also think it depends on your age. I personally am a 22 yr old grad student that works part time so a really expensive gift is not expected. I usually spend like $200-$300 for her average gift. If you are out in the "real" world working full time and usually exchange gifts of $500 plus, I think that it might be tougher to pull off. I guess its all in her expectations...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.