shape
carat
color
clarity

Decoy Gift

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
I have recently purchased a diamond engagement ring and plan to propose later this spring. My gf caught me eyeing some diamonds and I really want the proposal to be a surprise. I have money left over from my ring budget so I am think that I will spend that on a decoy christmas gift. I am looking to spend $300 - $600 MAX (I am a 22 yr old grad student). Does anyone have any ideas? Something with diamonds would be preferable...

if your interested my ring is being made and pictured here.

lisaC

Brilliant_Rock
Does she wear much jewelery? What about an XO pendant from Whiteflash?
1.gif

$525 in plat or $499 in white gold...

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Or some small studs? A small pendant? Some sort of gemstone jewelry. If you chose something blue maybe she will wear that on her wedding day as well. What is her taste like?

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
She is pretty conservative and very classy. The XO pendant is definiately a candidate. Right now I am thinking along the lines of a pendant, but then again that is based on the recommendations I have gotten. She is afaid to wear nice earings I have gotten her in the past because she doesn''t want to lose them. Although I have gotten her a heart necklace with pink saphires, I think it may be time to update. I am not completely settled on the pendant idea so if you have other input I would love to hear it. I am thinking white gold for the metal--> i want the platinum ring to out do (at least in her mind) the christmas gift. It is a decoy so it can''t be TOO nice...lol I can''t believe I just said that.

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
Tacori, I like that idea of some gemstone... maybe blue? What were you thinking. Maybe I shouldn''t get a diamond. I don''t want something that will compete with the ring--> just an excuse of why i might have been looking at diamonds.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
How about pearl stud earrings from Tiffany''s? I have a pair and I love them. Very classic IMO.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well I am a sapphire girl. My in laws got me a blue sapphire with diamond halo pendant last year for christmas. Also if blue topaz and aqua if you like a lighter blue. There are many others as well. If you DO decide to get a gemstone you should visit the color stones thread. They knew their gems and will find you whatever you want in your budget. I just think it would be a sweet idea to get her "something blue" you could even say something after about it just to throw her off even more! I personally do not like the X/O pendant. It is just not my style so I would vote for a solitaire if you go that way.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here are a few from Mondera:

$500

3004129.jpg

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
another...

$350

3006221.jpg

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is one from diamond.com $450

42052_b_t.jpg

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is a blue topaz for $395

pccpp1650_b_t.jpg

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is another from Mondera with a pearl (kind of bridal) and a bargin at $145 with blue topaz.

3006069.jpg

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
I am having trouble finding a solitare pendant within my price range... The ones I saw on WF, the stone was not included.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/15/2006 4:26:51 PM
Author: the other Jake
I am having trouble finding a solitare pendant within my price range... The ones I saw on WF, the stone was not included.

If you really want diamond, the circle of life pendants are very popular and sold EVERYWHERE.

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
Something like this would be nice. I would prefer white gold though...

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
The only thing that came up is Mondera''s home page.

findarock

Shiny_Rock
I am in the same boat and I am going to surprise my GF with an engagement ring possibly early summer. I like the idea of having a decoy gift. I assume that this allows you to shop for the ring and with out being caught?
Also, I was wondering if you would possibly Hide it in plain site so that she will see that it is earrings or a pendant?
Curious?
34.gif

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
Heres the story. I already ended purchased my diamond and had it sent to the appraiser. Me being an idiot... left photos of the diamond from the appraiser up in my email and she happened to stumble on them and was like whats this? I did a decent job of explaining that I was getting educated about diamonds "for the future" because we happened to be talking about the 4 C''s that weekend (I played dumb during this conversation of course) and that was a photo of a diamond I wanted to see to get a feel for them. I plan on giving the pendant as a Christmas gift so that I had "a reason" to be looking at diamonds. I am not actually proposing until our trip to the Domincan Republic (just the 2 of us) for Spring Break which we planned together... and yes in case you were wondering I will do it on the Beach at sunset (sorry I''m just not that creative!).

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
That link never did work, by the way.

If you want to buy from BlueNile or Mondera, I'd try to see if you can design your own pendant with their GIA certed diamonds. I think you can beat the price and quality of their presets that way.

I just bought diamond stud earrings from Mondera, and the diamonds were about $325 and $360, plus the settings, so it was $830 total. I saw the same color, clarity, and size at my local jeweler for $1700. I purposely ordered stones that scored 2.0 and below on the HCA and which had depths under 60%, so I knew that they look even bigger than they are. I worry that with a preset pendant you'd get a diamond with a cut that is technically considered good but really isn't. In smaller stones I think the spread or diameter makes a big difference.

Mondera's preset solitaires are only in platinum ($585 for a 1/4ct in a 4 prong setting or $525 for 1/3ct in a bezel setting), but you can design a pendant in white gold for $120 (bezel) or $135 (prong set) plus the diamond.

This is the kind of diamond I'd get on a budget (wait . . . can I justify getting myself a pendant now? Oh darn, I don't think my husband will go for that.).

0.34 H SI2 for $418, scored 2.1 on the HCA (This SAME stone is being listed for up to $803 by other PS vendors . . . that's what sold me on Mondera when I was on a budget). + bezel = $538, + prong set = $553

0.32 H SI2 for $404, scored 1.7 on the HCA + bezel = $524, + prong set = $539

I'd recommend Mondera, although I was frustrated about my order at one point. The website kept messing up and then they made it sound like I needed to resolve my "credit issue" (my issue is that your website won't run my credit card!). But really, once we got in touch with them and verified our order (they call your home number to make sure someone hasn't stolen your card), I had the earrings within 3 business days. And I haven't taken them off since! (Well, except for cleaning and sleeping . . . the screw backs would poke me). So expect them to call you before your order is processed. I think Blue Nile does the same thing. Heck, Eddie Bauer even did that to me this week.

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
When buying a smaller stone, what color/clarity would you recommend?

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Well, I just bought stones that size in SI1 and SI2, and I can't see a thing. I think SI2 (graded by GIA of course, not some unknown lab) in a small stone that is going to be bezel set is a pretty safe bet. Go for SI1 if you're at all worried about it.

And I'd say H-I is a good range for stones to be set in a white metal (you'll note that's what Mondera's presets are anyway). I noticed that the e-ring to be has an I stone, so if you're comfortable with it for the ring, I'd recommend considering J for a pendant.

I wear all yellow gold, so I went for K color stones, and you really can't see the color.

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
P.S. I also saw that your e-ring is from White Flash. You could get a stone from them like this one 0.305 J VS2 ACA for $419 and then set it in their 14k white gold bezel for $199 (I went over your budget by $18 . . . maybe you could eat ramen noodles for a week). They have a great upgrade policy and you're already a customer, so they should be a breeze to work with.

scarlet16

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/15/2006 4:26:51 PM
Author: the other Jake
I recently purchased a full bezel pendant from WF. It was .25 stone...uncertified but its an ACA melee so it's amazingly sparkly (I think they are E-F, VS1). The chain and bezel were $199, and the stone was $350. I think that might be in your budget. It's really pretty and actual does look bigger than you would think.

I will try and get some pictures this weekend.

ETA: I should have read all the way through as I didn't see Phoenixgirl's suggestion. I think that'd be an AWESOME present...but in the case you don't want to eat ramen noodles and go over your budget, the melee are beautiful!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is off topic and sort of random, but if my BF had bought my e-ring in Nov. and waited until APRIL to give it to me when there are sooooo many occasions coming up that would be lovely times to give it, I would not be happy!!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results