shape
carat
color
clarity

Chartruese Chrysoberyl: Metal Colour?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a colour shifting chrysoberyl that goes from yellowish green to greenish yellow with hints of minty blue outdoors. I have the design pretty much nailed down but cannot seem to come to a decision as to which metal colour fits it best. A cold platinum or white gold is definitely out. I'm not crazy about rose gold. It is now down to 18K yellow or 18K green. Has anybody seen 18K green in person? What is your opinion? 18K green might make it somewhat unique and play up the green but 18K yellow is a safer choice and plays up the yellow.

The chrysoberyl is currently with WF, hence the following pictures.

3.69ctTrillion_1.jpg
3.69ctTrillion_2.jpg
3.69ctTrillion_3.jpg

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go with the safe bet of 18kt yellow gold. I bet it is going to be stunning, a beautiful stone! Are you going to surprise us with your design?

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
GREEN GREEN GREEN GREEN GREEN

GREEN

I am drooling over here! Fantastic stone. It will look awesome in green. From what I've seen, green shifts from yellow green to green yellow. Plus has an absolutely funky (in a good way) luster to it.

:cheeky: That's the closest thing to a drooly face

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Can you ask Whiteflash to take a picture of the chrysoberyl next to their yellow and green golds?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BrightIce,
I have a design pretty much nailed down but decided to add a small element of surprise yesterday, so we are back to the drawing board.

Davi,
WF is split 50/50 between green and yellow, so it only makes my decision more difficult.

Indy,
I requested such a picture from WF but unfortunately, they do not have a 18K yellow sample on hand.
SBS_GreenGoldChrysoberyl.jpg

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
I just received some peridot earrings that were made, in part, with 18k green gold, so without hesitation I recommend the green gold for your beautiful chrysoberyl. I think it would look incredible, and bring out the very best in this stone without detracting in any way.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I think the green gold will look lovely with that chrysoberyl.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aoife (and others with personal experience with green gold),
Do you have pictures of your earrings?
Any concerns with long term maintenance or rather, should you need to do any work to the metal, will a jeweller be able to procure it easily enough?

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1307541173|2940687 said:
Aoife (and others with personal experience with green gold),
Do you have pictures of your earrings?
Any concerns with long term maintenance or rather, should you need to do any work to the metal, will a jeweller be able to procure it easily enough?

I have never had any maintenance issues with other pieces I had made with green gold, so I'm not sure if that should be a concern or not. Actually, since even yellow gold varies so much in color, now I think of it, color-matching should be something any jeweler could manage. Whiteflash should be able to give you accurate information on that.

When do you need to make a decision? The vendor photos of my earrings don't really show the green gold very well, but I could try to take some photos today and post them if you have some time before you make a decision. I'm sure other PS'ers will be able to post photos of their green gold pieces, too, since IIRC several of us have green stone/green gold combos.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Here's a design I'd picked out for my chrysoberyl. This is in 18k brushed yellow gold. I've decided that I'll do it in rose to really make the neon nature of the stone PoP more.

chrys on penny.JPG

etsy mount.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't usually swear but oh damn! Uppy's chrysoberyl in rose gold is something to look at. :love: Any and all pictures of green gold and greenish yellow/yellowish green gold stones set in rose/yellow/green gold are more than welcome.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Upgradable|1307542143|2940698 said:
Here's a design I'd picked out for my chrysoberyl. This is in 18k brushed yellow gold. I've decided that I'll do it in rose to really make the neon nature of the stone PoP more.

I agree that rose gold does make greenisn and yellow stones more neon, and I even like it for blue stones. It's a totally underrated metal, and I just adore it, but hey Chrono, you know that already about me. I say ROSE ROSE ROSE, but if you want to keep it safe, do 18Kt yellow.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, Chrono..... Don't you just hate when you ask for opinions? :wavey:

Back to the topic you ACTUALLY asked about, I find that the color gold tends to "suck out" the similar color in the stone. So using yellow gold will cause the stone to look greener, and the use of green gold will cause the stone to look more yellow.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
TL's chryso in yellow gold:

file.jpg

And here's Mochi's chryso in green gold by Whiteflash:

file.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As wonderful as I know TL's chrysoberyl is, it blends in a little too well with the yellow gold. TL, is that 18K yellow gold?

Is Mochi's green gold done with a brushed finish?

Anybody's in rose, please? :halo:

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
This is just a Google image. I realize the stone is no where as saturated as yours, but at least it's a pic of rose gold.

AAAADPaR5BMAAAAAAIQTlA.jpg

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I think that if you're going to use a NUCLEAR color like this stone has, that you really should be thinking about using an equally colorful metal like the attached picture. This anodized titanium piece was done by Hans Meevis and I think that incorporation of this sort of color around a stone like that would make it look almost explosive.

web5new83m1m.jpg

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I've also considered blackened white gold for the mounting.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Kismet's vanadium chrysoberyl in rose gold with white gold accents.

kiz-vanadiumchrysring1.JPG

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Michael_E|1307546995|2940749 said:
I think that if you're going to use a NUCLEAR color like this stone has, that you really should be thinking about using an equally colorful metal like the attached picture. This anodized titanium piece was done by Hans Meevis and I think that incorporation of this sort of color around a stone like that would make it look almost explosive.

I like this idea a lot -- bright metal. I like the idea of high-karat yellow gold. I think white metals will wash out the stone's intensity. I also like the idea of green gold or even purple gold.

Here's a link to a site that's got pieces in purple gold :love:
http://www.meevis.com/jewelry-making-class-purplegold.htm

But I may be biased toward the purple/chartreuse color combination, since that's the combination I chose!
My chartreuse chrysoberyl is impossible for me to photograph, but here's a photo of my ring next to a lime and a wall hanging with yellow green in it to show the color. The purple of the sapphires is a pale purple. If I re-set this chrysoberyl, I'll go with cobalt blue or deep purple accents.

Go bold or go home with a chartreuse chrysoberyl, I say!!!

CIMG2013.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Upgradable|1307545354|2940729 said:
TL's chryso in yellow gold:

file.jpg

And here's Mochi's chryso in green gold by Whiteflash:

file.jpg

Although I love this ring, in hindsight, I wish I did it in rose gold. Although I like the looks in yellow and green gold, I feel the stone will pop even more in rose. I really don't think white metal will do anything at all for these stones. Sorry if I offend.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1307546156|2940737 said:
As wonderful as I know TL's chrysoberyl is, it blends in a little too well with the yellow gold. TL, is that 18K yellow gold?

Is Mochi's green gold done with a brushed finish?

Anybody's in rose, please? :halo:

It is 14K YG. I agree with you about it blending it too well with the yellow gold. I suspect the same thing will happen with green gold, and again, sorry if I offend.

Agnesg

Shiny_Rock
Nice stone chrono!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono, have they looked at the stone besides a sample of rose gold? I would think that if you go with an opposing color like that, the stone would pop out of the setting. I found that to be true when I did a blue zircon in rose gold. I think the green is nice if you want to blend the color more to the setting.

BTW, how large is the stone?

-A

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No offense taken at all by anything posted here; I can handle it. :cheeky:

I've made a request to WF about taking a picture of it with a rose gold sample, should they have one available. I am aware of Hans Meevis's work from a different forum and I have to say the pendant is simply breathtaking. That is more of the effect I am hoping to achieve and am coming to understand that both green and yellow gold will probably fall short of that. That said, I'm still unsure of rose gold. I am all up for purple gold but have heard some caution about its brittleness.

ETA
The stone measures 9.4 x 9.4 mm, so it's fairly substantial.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am just starting to read it so I am back to the very beginning... How about a yellow/green gold combo? I once saw a reproduction of a pendant made with rose, yellow, green and blue gold with a sapphire... looked very interesting.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
I think this is a case of: it all depends on which color within the chrysoberyl you want to draw out. I think yellow gold may bring out the green, green gold may pull out the yellow, and rose gold may draw out the blue you say sometimes shows. Does WF have any rose gold they could put next to the stone to see if you like it?

EDTA: I see you already asked Whiteflash to photograph the rose gold.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Upgradable|1307547851|2940758 said:
Kismet's vanadium chrysoberyl in rose gold with white gold accents.

kiz-vanadiumchrysring1.JPG

I have my photo of my mint garnet in rose gold somewhere, it's on one of the last pages of ABGF's "Help me find a red spinel" thread. I can't link to it right now. Kismet's ring here made me decide to go with rose gold for the mint garnet, and I'm so glad I did. It really brings out the blue in the stone. If you have any blue in the chrysoberyl, it will make that pop. It will also make the yellow and green look more saturated, if that's even possible with your nuclear stone. LOL!

I am also currently having a larger mint garnet set in rose gold. I know I use rose gold a lot, but I feel it really enhances the colors of cooler gems (blues, greens, violets), and greenish yellows. I wouldn't use it on red or orange gems however.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lula|1307548048|2940760 said:
Michael_E|1307546995|2940749 said:

I like this idea a lot -- bright metal. I like the idea of high-karat yellow gold. I think white metals will wash out the stone's intensity. I also like the idea of green gold or even purple gold.

Here's a link to a site that's got pieces in purple gold :love:
http://www.meevis.com/jewelry-making-class-purplegold.htm

But I may be biased toward the purple/chartreuse color combination, since that's the combination I chose!
My chartreuse chrysoberyl is impossible for me to photograph, but here's a photo of my ring next to a lime and a wall hanging with yellow green in it to show the color. The purple of the sapphires is a pale purple. If I re-set this chrysoberyl, I'll go with cobalt blue or deep purple accents.

Go bold or go home with a chartreuse chrysoberyl, I say!!!

I've never heard of purple gold-- how beautiful :love: !

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is my 18k green gold ring from JKT. It's a BB malaya garnet flanked by peridots sourced by Julia. The metal looks yellow in the pictures but actually has more of a green hue. I think your stone would look wonderful in green gold, or pink gold if you decide that you like it.

garnringf1.JPG

garnringf2.JPG

garnringf4.JPG

Imported Photos 00080.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results