shape
carat
color
clarity

Charges filed from Mueller Probe

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So we are on the same page. We will soon see if we are right. ;))

I had to come back to this thread to say we nailed it, lovedogs. Manafort was just too obvious. Nobody else received a pre-dawn raid with agents practically breaking down his doors with battering rams. Watch Trump distance himself from Manafort now!

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So it sounds like it's not even related to the election?

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
I had to come back to this thread to say we nailed it, lovedogs. Manafort was just too obvious. Nobody else received a pre-dawn raid with agents practically breaking down his doors with battering rams. Watch Trump distance himself from Manafort now!

Bummer, I was hoping it was going to be something more dramatic like DJTJr charges. I guess Mueller isn't the drama sort of guy (which is a good thing).

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So these are charges from before he joined the campaign? From 2012 when he was working with Podesta? (I'm on twitter trying to wade through the swamp)

I'm trying to work out the details, but I'm
About to hit the road home....

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
So these are charges from before he joined the campaign? From 2012 when he was working with Podesta? (I'm on twitter trying to wade through the swamp)

I'm trying to work out the details, but I'm
About to hit the road home....

Follow the link posted by @mary poppins. It has the details on the indictment. But based on a quick perusal, the charges are not directly related to the election, but it does include acts committed in 2017.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Follow the link posted by @mary poppins. It has the details on the indictment. But based on a quick perusal, the charges are not directly related to the election, but it does include acts committed in 2017.

Ok, I didn't see the 2017 part. I'm leaving though so BBL

ETA: Defrauding the government is money laundering, so I think it means he was still hiding money in 2017

Last edited:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bloomberg: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...olicy-adviser-pleaded-guilty-in-mueller-probe

EX-TRUMP AIDE ADMITS HE TRIED TO COORDINATE WITH RUSSIANS DURING CAMPAIGN

U.S. Special Counsel Robert Mueller, tasked with pursuing collusion between Donald Trump’s presidential campaign and Russia, just planted the first stake.

Prosecutors on Mueller’s team revealed Monday that a foreign policy adviser on Trump’s campaign, George Papadopoulos, pursued Russia’s help in the 2016 U.S. presidential campaign and sought to open communication lines to the Kremlin. Papadopoulos worked with an international professor who promised compromising information from Russia about Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton. He also met with a Russian woman he believed could broker a meeting between the campaign and Russian officials.

He then lied about the timing and content of those interactions to agents of the Federal Bureau of Investigation. On October 5, Papadopoulos pleaded guilty to lying in a sealed document that was made public Monday in Washington D.C. Ominously for the White House, Papadopoulos is cooperating with the investigation.

Papadopoulos’s plea was unexpected on a day when Mueller’s charges were unsealed against Paul Manafort, a former Trump campaign manager, and Manafort’s onetime deputy Rick Gates, accusing them of money laundering, tax crimes and conspiracy.

The question now is who else in Trump’s campaign may have aided that effort or been aware of it. The court documents referenced an unidentified campaign supervisor, and a second campaign official who nixed Papadopoulos’s idea of setting up a meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin.

In a statement of the offense, prosecutors describe how Papadopoulos held himself out to be conduit between the Trump campaign and high-level Russian officials, including Putin. Papadopoulos was one of five foreign policy advisers to the Trump campaign.

An unidentified London professor who had made contact with Papadopoulos in 2016 claimed to have “dirt” on Clinton in the form of thousands of emails, according to the court filing. The professor was said to have substantial connections to Russian government officials.

Papadopoulos met with the professor in London around March 21, 2016, prosecutors said. The professor brought with him a “female Russian national” introduced to Papadopoulos as a relative of Putin.

Ten days later, the indictment said, Papadopoulos attended a “national security meeting” that included Trump. When introduced at the meeting, Papadopoulos said he had connections he could use to arrange a meeting between Trump and Putin, it said.

That unnamed Russian national began communicating with Papadopoulos after the meeting. “As mentioned we are all very excited by the possibility of a good relationship with Mr. Trump,” she wrote in an April 2016 email disclosed by prosecutors. “The Russian Federation would love to welcome him once his candidature would be officially announced.”

Also around that time, prosecutors said, Papadopoulos emailed a high-ranking official of the Trump campaign “to discuss Russia’s interest in hosting Mr. Trump. Have been receiving a lot of calls over the last month about Putin wanting to host him and the team when the time is right.”

Days later, Papadopoulos thanked the professor for his “critical help” in arranging a meeting between campaign aides and the Russian government, saying, “It’s history making if it happens,” according to prosecutors.

Papadopoulos was arrested after arriving at Dulles International Airport on July 27, 2017, according to the court filing. The day before, FBI agents executed a no-knock search warrant on Manafort’s Virginia home, in which they secured files stored on Manafort’s computer.

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, I didn't see the 2017 part. I'm leaving though so BBL

ETA: Defrauding the government is money laundering, so I think it means he was still hiding money in 2017

I think the money laundering is a separate charge. I think the "defrauding the government" charge might have something to do with not filing taxes on the money. (Not a lawyer, just guessing.)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the money laundering is a separate charge. I think the "defrauding the government" charge might have something to do with not filing taxes on the money. (Not a lawyer, just guessing.)

I don't have to be a lawyer because I play one-I mean see one-on TV. ;)) Actually I see about twenty on TV every morning as I watch a parade of them on MSNBC. Maybe thirty or more, not twenty. I see former Watergate prosecutors; former members of The House Judiciary Committee who recommended the impeachment of Richard Nixon; I see former CIA agents with law degrees; I see professors of law from Princeton who were former FBI agents; and so on. If I don't understand the issues after a couple of hours of watching, I am pretty dim!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes and no. Manafort faces serious time. If he testifies against Trump-or any of the people like Donald Trump, Jr. or Jared Kushner with whom he met during the campaign-he can be very problematic indeed to Trump.

I have to say, I'm disappointed this morning.

It looks to be a big ole nothingburger as relating to Trump.

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
I have to say, I'm disappointed this morning.

It looks to be a big ole nothingburger as relating to Trump.

I don't think so. This is the very beginning, and as an opening salvo, it's much bigger than I expected. It also makes one suspect, given the nature of the charges, that Mueller is reviewing Trump's tax records with a great deal of care. If these are the initial indictments, I would bet the ranch he's holding back on the pieces he wants cooperation on--a few legal eyes have pointed out that the indictment today was labelled indictment B-- I don't think they let that slip by accident.

There is no way Mueller has gone out with his whole arsenal today. Patience.

E B

Ideal_Rock
The government notes that the official forwarded defendant PAPADOPOULOS's email to another Campaign official (without including defendant PAPADOPOULOS) and stated: "Let[']s discuss. We need someone to communicate that DT is not doing these trips. It should be someone low level in the campaign so as not to send any signal."

It seems pretty implausible that through all of this-- the ties and the lies- "DT" was kept in complete darkness through it all, doesn't it?

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
I don't have to be a lawyer because I play one-I mean see one-on TV. ;)) Actually I see about twenty on TV every morning as I watch a parade of them on MSNBC. Maybe thirty or more, not twenty. I see former Watergate prosecutors; former members of The House Judiciary Committee who recommended the impeachment of Richard Nixon; I see former CIA agents with law degrees; I see professors of law from Princeton who were former FBI agents; and so on. If I don't understand the issues after a couple of hours of watching, I am pretty dim!

I haven't had time to watch the talking heads (aka lawyers) yet. Have been dealing with server issues.

Has anyone commented that Papadopoulos (and the Trump campaign?) knew the Russians had Clinton's email in April -- when did we (the public) find out it was the Russians who stole the emails?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bold/italics added by me to address the email knowledge in April.

NYT: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/30/us/politics/george-papadopoulos-russia.html

A professor with close ties to the Russian government told an adviser to Donald J. Trump’s presidential campaign in April 2016 that Moscow had “dirt” on Hillary Clinton in the form of “thousands of emails,” according to court documents unsealed Monday.

The adviser, George Papadopoulos, has pleaded guilty to lying to the F.B.I. about that conversation. The plea represents the most explicit evidence that the Trump campaign was aware that the Russian government was trying to help Mr. Trump and that the campaign was eager to accept that help.

As part of that effort, the Russian government hacked Democratic accounts and released a trove of embarrassing emails related to Mrs. Clinton’s campaign. The Trump campaign has repeatedly denied any inside knowledge about that.

“They have dirt on her,” the professor told Mr. Papadopoulos, according to the documents. “They have thousands of emails.”

Mr. Papadopoulos was quietly arrested at Washington Dulles Airport on July 27 and has since been cooperating with the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, records show. Mr. Papadopoulos’s conversation in April raises more questions about a subsequent meeting in June at Trump Tower, where Mr. Trump’s eldest son and senior advisers met with Russians who were similarly promising damaging information on Mrs. Clinton.

The documents released on Monday said that several senior campaign officials knew about some of Mr. Papadopoulos’s interactions with the Russians. The documents do not say whether he mentioned the Clinton emails to anyone.

The professor, who was not identified in court documents, introduced Mr. Papadopoulos to others, including someone connected to the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and a woman who he believed was a relative of the Russian president, Vladimir V. Putin. Mr. Papadopoulos repeatedly tried to arrange a meeting between the Trump campaign and Russian government officials, court records show.

“We are all very excited by the possibility of a good relationship with Mr. Trump,” the woman, who was not identified, told Mr. Papadopoulos in an email. She was not actually a relative of Mr. Putin, according to court documents.

Mr. Papadopoulos told the F.B.I. in January that the professor was “a nothing.” But Mr. Papadopoulos now acknowledges that he knew the professor had “substantial connections to Russian government officials.” Attempts to reach Mr. Papadopoulos on Monday were not successful.

Mr. Papadopoulos was one of a small group of foreign policy advisers that Mr. Trump announced in March 2016. Another of the advisers, Carter Page, has met with the F.B.I. about his own meetings with Russians.

The plea was unsealed on the same day that Paul Manafort, the former Trump campaign chairman, and his longtime associate, Rick Gates, were indicted on charges of money laundering and conspiracy.

Mr. Papadopoulos was first interviewed by the F.B.I. in January, as the bureau was investigating connections between the Trump campaign and Russia. In that interview, Mr. Papadopoulos said that he began communicating with the professor and the Russian woman before he became a foreign policy adviser to the campaign. He has since acknowledged that is untrue.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am afraid....................

That these men are just going to be the fall guys for Trump.

Sigh...

That this investigation will hit brick walls after this point.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am afraid....................

That these men are just going to be the fall guys for Trump.

Sigh...

That this investigation will hit brick walls after this point.

No way. This was coordinated, nothing leaked until today (related to Papadopoulos). There are many more indictments to come.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No way. This was coordinated, nothing leaked until today (related to Papadopoulos). There are many more indictments to come.
HRC could be next!...:lol:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
House Cat, I have the same concerns. I think they can definitely nail Trump on lying. I'm sure it will come out he knew about these things (hell he bragged and taunted on twitter about these things), and that's how they tried to get Clinton, was that he was shown he lied under oath. A big however, it is up to congress to file impeachment, and unless there is a photo of Trump shooting someone I doubt they will do anything, even if there is evidence he collaborated with a hostile foreign government.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On Bloomberg: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...esta-quits-after-u-s-unveils-manafort-charges

Mega-Lobbyist Tony Podesta Quits Firm After Manafort Indictment

Democratic mega-lobbyist Tony Podesta has stepped down from his 30-year-old firm as the indictment of President Donald Trump’s onetime campaign chairman drew attention to the company’s foreign advocacy, according to a person familiar with the matter.

Podesta -- whose clients have included Alphabet Inc.’s Google, Altria Group Inc., Wells Fargo & Co., Lockheed Martin Corp., Pfizer Inc. and other representatives of some of the most active industries in Washington -- told a company wide meeting Monday that he was stepping down from the Podesta Group Inc., according to an earlier report by Politico. The person who confirmed Podesta is stepping down asked not to be identified because the decision isn’t public. Podesta didn’t respond to phone calls and emails seeking comment.

News of Podesta’s resignation followed an indictment issued Monday by U.S. Justice Department Special Counsel Robert Mueller of Trump’s former campaign manager Paul Manafort and his business partner Rick Gates. The charges detailed Manafort’s clandestine influence campaign on behalf of Ukraine’s deposed president Viktor Yanukovych, including work with two unidentified companies that "lobbied multiple members of Congress and their staffs about Ukraine sanctions, the validity of Ukraine elections, and the propriety of Yanukovych’s imprisoning his presidential rival."

Mueller’s indictment identified the firms as Company A and Company B and said they were allegedly paid by Manafort with more than $2 million in offshore funds. The person who confirmed Tony Podesta’s departure said that Company B is the Podesta Group, which disclosed in April that it had worked for the European Centre for a Modern Ukraine.

“The Podesta Group has fully cooperated with the Special Counsel’s office and taken every possible step to provide documentation that confirms compliance with the law," according to a statement the firm issued Monday.

Podesta is the brother of John Podesta, the chairman of Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign, who also served as White House chief of staff under Presidents Bill Clinton and Barack Obama.

Mercury Public Affairs LLC also disclosed in an April filing with the Justice Department that it worked for the European Centre for a Modern Ukraine, which the indictment said is a mouthpiece for Yanukovych.

In April, the Podesta Group and Mercury filed belated FARA disclosures with the Justice Department outlining their work with the European Centre for a Modern Ukraine. In those filings, Podesta and Mercury said that they were unaware their work was for the Ukrainian government. The disclosures covered the period from April 2012 through April 2014.

Using identical language in those filings, both firms said that the European Centre for a Modern Ukraine had provided "written certification" that it was not controlled or financed by a foreign government or political party. According to Monday’s indictment, the center was created in 2012 and used by Manafort, Gates and others to conduct a public relations campaign in the U.S. and Europe on behalf of the Yanukovych regime.

Mercury confirmed in a statement by partner Michael McKeon that it worked with the European Centre for a Modern Ukraine for about two years beginning in 2012 to mid-2014 and said it intended to align "Ukraine with western democracies generally, and the European Union specifically, on security, political and economic issues."

McKeon said Mercury takes its obligations to follow all laws and regulations seriously and that it retained legal counsel to determine the proper way to disclose that representation and followed that advice. Mercury is cooperating with Mueller’s investigation, McKeon said in the statement.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 11.00.40 AM.png

He is so dumb.....

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can anyone reconstruct the timing of Trump's twitters about Clinton's emails and Russia, and the timing of these meetings? Might be interesting.

“I will tell you this, Russia: If you’re listening, I hope you’re able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing,” the Republican nominee said at a news conference in Florida. “I think you will probably be rewarded mightily by our press.” 7/26/16

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results