shape
carat
color
clarity

changing low to a high setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

wanda25

Rough_Rock
I just got engaged for Christmas and I received a princess cut with baguettes on each side platinum engagement ring. It is set in a basket type setting with 4 prongs holding the diamond. I really want the center princess cut stone to be set higher..any suggestions on what can be done?

Is it possile to set the 4 prongs higher, by adding platinum to each prong??

Thank you for your help!!

wanda25

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your immediate response... Update...
My fiance spoke to the jeweler today, he is the one who made the ring for him. He asked for us to come in so he can see if platinum can be added... BUT most likely he said a new basket would be needed.

Is it possible for him to replace the platinum basket center setting, with a new platinum setting? Can that be done with platinum???

Your response is greatly appreciated!!

BEDAZZLED

Shiny_Rock
Just be careful...

I had a platinum basket changed for the same reason and they soldered the basket on with white gold, not platinum.

In turn, the seems around the basket turned yellowish. They said that they could not solder with platinum b/c the heat would burn the side stones.

P.S. Low settings are very in.

Good Luck and Congrats!!!!

wanda25

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for your support Bedazzled!!
I just came back from the jeweler, who my fiance bought the ring from, and he said the exact same thing that you told me...that platinum couln't be used and that the ring would turn yellow after a while where they would seam/sotter it togther.
The only way is to BUY ANOTHER SETTING! I said no way not me! So for now I will try not to think about it and learn to love this ring... it is very beautiful!

Thank you so much!
You made me feel so much better!
:))

GiGi

Rough_Rock
I am not sure why your jewlier could not solder your ring and heading together with platinum. I purchased the ring and basket-head separately (both platinum), and my goldsmith soldered them together for me using platinum. In fact I am taking the ring in tomorrow to have him polish it up a bit more for me, to make sure it is solid and has a smooth, shiny line.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results