shape
carat
color
clarity

Change of plans--thinking of custom and need referrals

cluelessupgrade

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

My saga to try to get my upgraded engagement ring straightened out continues. After talking with DH, we decided we felt strongly about having all 3 of my original stones incorporated in my engagement ring, which is why we went the 5-stone route in the first place, so we're going to stay the course. (I had been talking about changing to just a 3-stone with my new center stone and 2 second largest stones.) Therefore, I am going to have a 5-stone trellis design made. (14K yellow gold with 14K white gold trellis.) I will attach pics below of the ring from Debebians that I took into my local jeweler and asked for my 5-stone design. (They could not do a trellis design like that, so I ended up settling for plain prongs.) Now I hopefully can get what I wanted. Also, I've decided that since I'm having a whole new setting made, I'm going to go ahead and upgrade to the center stone I eventually planned to get--in the range of 2.0 to 2.2 carats--so I won't have to do this again.

I've contacted Brian Gavin Diamonds and asked for a quote, which they are working on. I also asked Debebians for a quote on modifying the ring pictured to accommodate my stones. (It's designed for sides of .25 and .15; mine are .43 and .25.)

Are there others you would recommend I try for this project? Would appreciate any thoughts!

Thanks!

Here is the ring I wanted--note how the center diamond is a bit more prominent, and the end stones are set low and angled slightly, to avoid the "bowtie" effect going on in my ring that's resulting in my end stones rubbing my pinky and middle fingers constantly.

debebians_trellis.gif

My ring:
photo_1_150.jpg photo_2_139.jpg

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Suggest you also consult with Whiteflash who has made a number of marvelous trellis rings.

alamana

Shiny_Rock
I'd recommend getting a quote from Pete at Quest Jewelers in VA. He does great work and pricing is competitive.

cluelessupgrade

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the replies! I wanted to give an update. The local jeweler has convinced me to let them have it custom made for me to look like the trellis ring from Debebians I wanted, so I've agreed somewhat reluctantly to do it. This will involve having the CAD drawing and a wax model that I can try on before the piece is finalized, which gives me confidence that it will be ok. The good news is, for my trouble, the jeweler has agreed to help me get a very good deal on a larger center stone!! So, I'm going over today to trade in my 1.66 carat for one that is either 2.01 or 2.03 carats, both GIA eye clean hearts and arrows SI2s, one of which is a G and the other an H. I think this size center stone will work best with my 5-stone design and the .43s and .25s. I'll post back on the progress!

thanks again!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds as if your local jeweler really wants to do right by you -- and YAY for a wax model this time around, for that should provide you with peace of mind (or a good idea of whether the design needs to be refined further) before the ring is cast.

I gathered from your earlier posts that CADs were also not part of your agreement with him for the first ring he produced. The CAD renderings may look rather weird to you, even when the final product they represent would be fine, so don't be shy about posting the CADs here for feedback from the PSers who can help you "read" them.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What size is your finger? Not sure the larger center and 4 more stones will fit. The current ring is already pretty wide.

cluelessupgrade

Rough_Rock
Diamondseeker, my ring is size 4.5, which is pretty small. My jeweler is currently working on this one to see if he can lower the end prongs, which will make it seem less wide. If so, I'm going to keep it. Also, I purchased a 2.03 GIA H SI2 center stone to replace my 1.66, which they felt would fit in my existing setting. Fingers crossed that I like it! If I don't, I do feel sure I can have another setting made that will work. Will post back with the results. :angel:

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted to post this ring a la "Yssie" with a few modifications to fit my personality better this ring was made by David Klass. I circled the ends and the shank of where it meets the diamond, and I can honestly say this was the most comfortable 5 stone ring I've owned because I made the shank modified, It is smooth, no prongs caught my finger, and I have boney and sensitive fingers, so I make all my rings to have a "semi" bezel ends because of this reason. Hope this helps. Definitely if you can get a wax model to try on that will help. I've had tons of custom rings made and the ones with prongs on the ends unless its the same height as the shank always pokes me. But that's just me. by the way this is a ring size 4.5-4.75 center was a 1.02 ct Center and the ends were .31ct each.

dk5stone_semi_bezel_ends.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results