shape
carat
color
clarity

Change in shape of princess cut from polishing!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Charmed

Shiny_Rock
Hello All!

I have posted on this board a number of times. When my husband bought me my ering, he asked what I preferred and I always told him a SQUARE princess cut diamond. He bought me a beautiful SQUARE .73 VVS2, E, princess cut. I loved it but a prong appeared damaged. When we took it to my trusted jeweler after having many problems with the one he chose, he said the prong was damaged and needed another setting, but the prong apparently when he took it out of the setting was set around an INDENTED NATURAL. Of course the jeweler stated he wasn''t comfortable resetting it with this pointed out edge in the corner of the diamond for possibility it would chip. So, we had it polished. It never occurred to me that polishing would change the shape, I was aware it would lose some weight. Now it is a rectangular princess which I never preferred. My husband knows my dissatisfaction with the diamond as I miss the beauty it had in the square shape.

BUT, he appears hurt that I would like to trade it in for a square princess. What to do???? He said he would consider upgrading in like 5 YEARS!!!!!!!!!!! Am I being selfish????? It just isn''t the diamond he proposed with.

Any feedback is appreciated!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
*How* was this polished that it lost so much weight as to become distinctly rectangular?

Charmed

Shiny_Rock
It was not a perfect square but on the GIA cert it made the cut of SQUARE MODIFIED. I think the ratio was 1.04. But you can see the difference from how it was square to rectangular.

barry

Shiny_Rock
Repairing a chipped Princess Cut can indeed
change its shape from square to rectangular
if the cutter exclusively pushes and works the side of the
damage and does not resymmetrize the other three
sides. You state that the ratio on your .73 ct
was 1.04. All you need to officialy make your stone a rectangle is a Length/Width ratio of 1.049 according
to the GIA definition. It doesn't take more than 2-3 swipes on the wheel for the cutter to go from 1.04 to 1.049.
If your indented natural was extensive, which I
suspect it was, as the girdle areas on Princess shapes
are at or near cleavage planes which can cost significant weight if properly polished thus bringing your .73 ct below
an important .70 carat price point.
Does this diamond have a lab report? If it did, I'm sure you
would have spotted the report's reference to this
indented natural and discussed it with the jeweler.

The second jeweler was remiss and bears
responsibility in not explaining
to you the options available in recutting the stone.
Option-1, just repairing the damage without regard to the shape was actually done. Option-2, repairing the damage and also working on the rest of the stone in order to maintain the original shape is the choice that you probably would
have taken.
What to do now? If you had originally made clear your desire to have the stones' square shape maintained
after repair, I'd go back to your jeweler and find out
in consultation with his cutter what it would take
in terms of weight and cost to you, to "square-off" your
Princess Cut. With that quote in hand, try to get the jeweler to pick up a portion of the cost.
OTOH, if you did not instruct the jeweler/cutter your intentions, you might still consider entirely
picking up the cost as it will return your
engagement stone to its original shape and remind
you of your husbands sentiment in giving it to you.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

Charmed

Shiny_Rock
Barry,

Thank you so much for your reply!!!! In answer to your question about noticing the indented natural on the GIA cert, I was not involved in the diamond selection process. My husband trusted a jeweler he has known for a long time. She didn't even mention it to him, obviously she knew it was there since she tried to mold the prong AROUND IT!!!!! Unbelievable. So, you can imagine that I will not purchase our next diamond with anything close to an indented natural.

Secondly, my jeweler didn't mention that it would change the shape, just weight loss, I didn't at the time even think it would change the shape. I just pictured it polishing off the edge. Now I am very seasoned to this.

Thank you for your thorough explanation!!!!! You have surely been a help!

PS, I browse your diamonds often, THEY ROCK!!!!!!!!

barry

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, Charmed.

Best of Luck to you.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results