shape
carat
color
clarity

Chances of hearts and arrows on an AGS ideal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gauge

Rough_Rock
What are the chances that an AGS 000 ideal cut diamond will show hearts and arrows even if it is not in any way listed on the report or website as having hearts and arrows? It seems that if the diamond did show hearts and arrows, that it would be noted some place. So what are the chances it shows H&A''s? Almost zero? 50-50? More likely than not?

MWG

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/15/2007 9:17:19 PM
Author:Gauge
What are the chances that an AGS 000 ideal cut diamond will show hearts and arrows even if it is not in any way listed on the report or website as having hearts and arrows? It seems that if the diamond did show hearts and arrows, that it would be noted some place. So what are the chances it shows H&A''s? Almost zero? 50-50? More likely than not?
Curious........ Do you want Hearts and Arrows?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All I can tell you is that I have had some diamonds that weren''t even certified that were cut well enough that I could see arrows. So technically, I think, H&A means some level of perfection. But lots of well cut stones will appear to have hearts and arrows. (I''m sure one of the experts can tell you more specifically, though.)

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/15/2007 9:17:19 PM
Author:Gauge

What are the chances that an AGS 000 ideal cut diamond will show hearts and arrows even if it is not in any way listed on the report or website as having hearts and arrows? It seems that if the diamond did show hearts and arrows, that it would be noted some place. So what are the chances it shows H&A's? Almost zero? 50-50? More likely than not?
There is no official definition of how tight the patterns should be in order to be called "H&A." You would need to have H&A photos to know if they qualify by one set of standards and not by another, if that is something which matters to you (it may not). For the record, each 'arrow' requires only two facets to be in alignment with each another. The hearts require six apiece so hearts patterning, if a goal, is much more difficult to acquire (more info).

Some thoughts:

1. Just because a diamond shows a H&A pattern (no matter how precise) does not mean it has premium light return. Light return is far more important. An ideal-scope or ASET image is helpful in terms of performance, where H&A photos only show optical symmetry/craftsmanship.

2. In diamonds with top light return the benefits of precise optical symmetry are contrast and consistency in performance. Diamonds with a 'near' H&A level of optical symmetry often mimic effects seen in precisely cut H&A diamonds... On the other hand, some people prefer the random look of asymmetry (optical symmetry is not a requirement for diamond beauty).

3. A 'near-H&A' level of optical symmetry might be a by-product of cutting to top proportions; what some call a happy accident. Diamonds displaying the highest levels of optical symmetry; those crafted to the top levels of cut precision on-purpose, are valued by enthusiasts for their ultimate craftsmanship, as much as any effects on performance.

Here is a thread with more on this topic; graphics and examples.

Gauge

Rough_Rock
Curious........ Do you want Hearts and Arrows?

It would be nice but it is no more of a concern than that. I am about to buy one of three diamonds within the next one or two weeks at most. Each of the three are SI1, I diamonds. One is AGS 001 cut and the other two are AGS 000 cut. All are almost identical in size and within $1,000 of each other in price. I am trying to find out from White Flash right now if each are "eye clean." If they are, the presence of hearts and arrows in one could be enough to make me choose that one over the other two. There is about a 98% chance I will buy one of these three stones regardless of the presence of H&A''s, but I am just trying to find something to make me commit to one particular diamond over another.

Also, I do plan on buying the diamond from white flash. I am planning on driving from out of state to Houston, TX to view the diamonds at whiteflash. Does anyone know if I would have to pay tax on the diamond if I buy it on the spot, even though I am not a resident of Texas? If so, is there any reason why I should not go to Houston, choose diamond, then return home and buy the diamond over the internet in the normal manner?

Gauge

Rough_Rock
Thanks John. That information, and especially the second link really helped a lot. Based on that info, I guess I am really looking for a simpler answer. Is an AGS 000 cut diamond likely to show true hearts and arrows? Likely to show near hearts and arrows? Or is is more likely that an AGS 000 diamond will not show either true or near hearts and arrows (because if it did, it would be noted as such and priced higher)?

Basically, I am just trying to get a very rough idea. Based on a pretty good bit of reading, I still can't tell if an AGS 000 diamond has an almost 100% chance or an almost 0% chance of showing H&A's (or any point in between).

I realize it makes little to no difference in light performance, but when I am comparing three stones that are so similar, I want to find out every bit of information I can.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results