shape
carat
color
clarity

Champagne Taste Hot Dog Budget

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My diamond was just in the general lab diamond search and is not listed as pink on the cert but as faint brown K. The pink diamond was actually listed as pink on the cert.

catia

Shiny_Rock
Ah-I see. We've been doing some searches as well. I agreed to be fair & to look around & compare.

If you move on down the alphabet for the search there's some nice lower colors-mostly round brilliants. I did a search j to Z only.
I've watched videos of the bodies of quite a few now that have the faint pinkish undertone. There are quite a bit more than I've ever found searching for mined with this tint over the past decade!
There are ones that lean peach/blush & ones that lean pink/lilac.
That's where I would need to split hairs-Now that I know nothing /blush/peach/salmon is ever gonna work on me, if it leans lilac I am all good.

I suspect due to the amount of LGD with this pink tint I am seeing that these pink hues must be some type of side effect of the process for labgrown- Quite a lovely side effect for those of us who aren't afraid of the alphabet!
Also saw a nice taupey M.

He wants to compare other LGD antique cuts & compare pricing/policy-any suggestions?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not a lot of vendors doing antique cuts in LG diamonds. Distinctive Gem, Ouros Jewels on Etsy and Parks Fine Group on IG. Parks will be offering them from what I understand in the near future.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the names you have given them!

catia

Shiny_Rock
Update: Bianca Rose the 1.11 I was the choice I made *if* we decided to go the lab grown route & modern cut for my wedding ring-she is absolutely amazing-You do not see any tint full on, she's white & soft, not a hint of yellow.
But- she's got a thing she does-hide -n-seek-I've only seen it during overcast natural light through windows in an all white room-she throws a faint lavender/lilac out of the top-it is the same exact hue as you see in her body in the pics-took me by surprise when I 1st saw it. It is faint-and like it just sits slightly above the stone itself-I do not believe there is any way to catch what I am referring to in a picture. If this were a right hand ring, for 'fun' and not something serious, like my 1st & only wedding ring, I would have kept her.

All 3 were amazing, but due to my *peach tint eating skin tone* #'s 1 & 2 just did not stand out enough.

We sent the LGD's back.
My decision had zero to do with the quality of the lab grown stones I viewed.

At the end of our days of discussions, it came down to it being a 'mind clean' issue, on 2 parts:
1- because it is my wedding ring & will be an heirloom I only want to do this once
2-the FACT that from the beginning I really wanted an antique cut.

There were no August Vintage Cushions in my hotdog budget available in the lab grown to view. I believe if there were, that would have been the end of it for me.
I was trying to find a substitute for an AVC.
I wanted to see these 3 because of that luscious faint pink tint that I have always dreamed about, & the fact that they were cushion shape...
Jonathan said that if I was set on chunky facets the modern faceted cushions don't behave the same way & I may not enjoy them as much, he wanted me to be prepared.
In Jonathan's own words, the August Vintage cuts are just different animal all together, & while the modern faceted cushions are cut to AGS specs, they won't have the same effect.
Right he is!
I thought the color & tint may sway me, I REALLY just needed to know by seeing for myself.
I was thrilled with what I saw, but:
*** I'm a antique facet girl to the VERY CORE OF MY BEING***
I could not find a setting that pleased me for a wedding ring to balance it & make it feel more antique. I couldn't make it be what it was not. It was like trying to jam a square peg into a circle hole.

I could have traded up later for an AVC lab grown, but I only want to ever do my wedding ring & setting once.
So this is where I am.
I'm 50, & have never been married before. I've held out this long. I do not want to enter my marriage with a ring I am not absolutely thrilled with & needed to remodel later, that just did not 'feel right'. I'm past the age of 'starter' rings.

***I'm gonna go for the antique cut & mounting on the 1st try***

mayaINaU

Brilliant_Rock
Update: Bianca Rose the 1.11 I was the choice I made *if* we decided to go the lab grown route & modern cut for my wedding ring-she is absolutely amazing-You do not see any tint full on, she's white & soft, not a hint of yellow.
But- she's got a thing she does-hide -n-seek-I've only seen it during overcast natural light through windows in an all white room-she throws a faint lavender/lilac out of the top-it is the same exact hue as you see in her body in the pics-took me by surprise when I 1st saw it. It is faint-and like it just sits slightly above the stone itself-I do not believe there is any way to catch what I am referring to in a picture. If this were a right hand ring, for 'fun' and not something serious, like my 1st & only wedding ring, I would have kept her.

All 3 were amazing, but due to my *peach tint eating skin tone* #'s 1 & 2 just did not stand out enough.

We sent the LGD's back.
My decision had zero to do with the quality of the lab grown stones I viewed.

At the end of our days of discussions, it came down to it being a 'mind clean' issue, on 2 parts:
1- because it is my wedding ring & will be an heirloom I only want to do this once
2-the FACT that from the beginning I really wanted an antique cut.

There were no August Vintage Cushions in my hotdog budget available in the lab grown to view. I believe if there were, that would have been the end of it for me.
I was trying to find a substitute for an AVC.
I wanted to see these 3 because of that luscious faint pink tint that I have always dreamed about, & the fact that they were cushion shape...
Jonathan said that if I was set on chunky facets the modern faceted cushions don't behave the same way & I may not enjoy them as much, he wanted me to be prepared.
In Jonathan's own words, the August Vintage cuts are just different animal all together, & while the modern faceted cushions are cut to AGS specs, they won't have the same effect.
Right he is!
I thought the color & tint may sway me, I REALLY just needed to know by seeing for myself.
I was thrilled with what I saw, but:
*** I'm a antique facet girl to the VERY CORE OF MY BEING***
I could not find a setting that pleased me for a wedding ring to balance it & make it feel more antique. I couldn't make it be what it was not. It was like trying to jam a square peg into a circle hole.

I could have traded up later for an AVC lab grown, but I only want to ever do my wedding ring & setting once.
So this is where I am.
I'm 50, & have never been married before. I've held out this long. I do not want to enter my marriage with a ring I am not absolutely thrilled with & needed to remodel later, that just did not 'feel right'. I'm past the age of 'starter' rings.

***I'm gonna go for the antique cut & mounting on the 1st try***
It’s good to know what you want! Have you perused https://ivyandrose.com/ for vintage stones and settings? I think their prices are reasonable and I’ve heard good things about them on this board.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Can’t wait to see what you do end up with.

sparkleandfire

Rough_Rock
Champagne Taste Hot Dog Budget says it all.

I just viewed & returned 2 gorgeous mined AVC's about .70 & colorless that just felt too small, and too colorless-- for me...I prefer lower colors.
but they were what was available in mined diamonds on my hotdog budget.

My ultimate dream diamond would be a natural mined J or lower color with brown/pink tint & strong fluoro in an AVC or OEC,
replete with kozibe, at least 1.5ct.

Initially my significant other wasn't keen on lab grown- but did some research on his own *with no prodding from me*.
He has changed his mind enough that we are now gonna view a few stones.

I have been viewing Distinctive Gem site for a few months-nothin pulled me on the lab grown side, or away from AVC cut
until I saw those few there with lower color & (very) faint pink.

I will call these 3 the Outliers ;)) since for the most part he is not gonna stock below G-H in labgrowns per his video.

I think yada recently purchased the initial one that I was curious about-the round-but there were also 3 cushions,
though not AVC cut, still Jonathan's cushions, with a faint pink. Gulp!

I have been * itchin like crazy* since they were posted to at least see them, but lab grown wasn't on the table until now.

I believe yada purchased the stone that 1st caught my eye & got me to start looking for labgrown in other colors even if not an AVC cut....

I want to see what a labgrown cushion cut by Jonathan's specs & vetted by him looks like in REAL LIFE.
I figured I better view all 3 before someone snatches them up & didn't want to post about it til I had secured them LOL
With Yada's thread on her experience & lovely pics, plus the video, I didn't want to miss the chance on a cushion.
I can choose only 1.

FYI:
The plots are a mess, but they are supposed to be eye clean-& since they aren't chunky AVC's, the facets hide a lot.
To be clear: I am NOT expecting these to face up pink, but I do know how some tint in lower colors may affect in AVC/AVR's,
because years back I viewed J's & N's, which started my whole love affair with low colors.
I just can't do the colorless, except for accents or side stones.
What I do not know is how some tint may affect in a non-crushed ice brilliant cushion.
What I am hoping for is something similar to what Yada is experiencing with hers-the sometimes there, sometimes not effect.
I need to satisfy my need for a chameleon 1st.

Because I have no life, & am a serious dork, I have named them
#1 Melange a Trois 1.09 J VS2 6.03 x 5.86 Cushion Brilliant: -the one I think is gonna hit all 3 markers-shape/hint-o-color/acceptable size
#2 Freckles Zinfandel 1.38 J SI1 6.83 X 6.26 Cushion Brilliant: -Jonathan suggested after I asked about the above stone-because...tint & spread
#3 Blanca Rose 1.11 I VS2 6.14 x 5.90 Cushion Brilliant: -I expect this to face full white do not expect to see any hint of tint, as it's an 'I" but you never know

Need some thoughts inspiration & experience (yoo hoo@ yada yada yada & i brake for possums)
I want to bezel whatever I choose, & I want low to medium profile, & the metal to be dark as I can get & matte/brushed
No gold colored metals-I don't do yellow at all.
Rose/Pink gold for the bezel is on the table for sure, a 2 toned
This 1st setting is NOT gonna be my permanent setting, & it needs to be low cost.
I want to experiment on the cheap, but Melange_ 109J.jpg Freckles_138J.jpg Blanca_111I (1).jpg have a functional ring that fits my lifestyle.
I'm not aiming for anything 'traditional' but may have to settle for something plain due to hotdog budget.

I know most will go Ewwww! on these 1st pics, they are at high magnification, the faceting will hide most of the freckles in all.

This is my 1st experience in lab grown diamonds. I want to learn from the ones before me & hope others can see & learn along with me.
I thought it best to start at my personal sweet spot, cushions with some tint.

The added bonus is the trade in policy Jonathan has on his lab grown.
Basically-I can go a little nuts on design of the setting cuz if I decide to be traditional later, or tire of the cut-it's not like Jonathan is ever gonna stop cutting AVC's, so I could put in an order later when finances permit for exactly whatever I want & use what I have as trade in.
I see a win/win here. The question is going to be: which of the 3 will I choose???

sparkleandfire

Rough_Rock
Champagne Taste Hot Dog Budget says it all.

I just viewed & returned 2 gorgeous mined AVC's about .70 & colorless that just felt too small, and too colorless-- for me...I prefer lower colors.
but they were what was available in mined diamonds on my hotdog budget.

My ultimate dream diamond would be a natural mined J or lower color with brown/pink tint & strong fluoro in an AVC or OEC,
replete with kozibe, at least 1.5ct.

Initially my significant other wasn't keen on lab grown- but did some research on his own *with no prodding from me*.
He has changed his mind enough that we are now gonna view a few stones.

I have been viewing Distinctive Gem site for a few months-nothin pulled me on the lab grown side, or away from AVC cut
until I saw those few there with lower color & (very) faint pink.

I will call these 3 the Outliers ;)) since for the most part he is not gonna stock below G-H in labgrowns per his video.

I think yada recently purchased the initial one that I was curious about-the round-but there were also 3 cushions,
though not AVC cut, still Jonathan's cushions, with a faint pink. Gulp!

I have been * itchin like crazy* since they were posted to at least see them, but lab grown wasn't on the table until now.

I believe yada purchased the stone that 1st caught my eye & got me to start looking for labgrown in other colors even if not an AVC cut....

I want to see what a labgrown cushion cut by Jonathan's specs & vetted by him looks like in REAL LIFE.
I figured I better view all 3 before someone snatches them up & didn't want to post about it til I had secured them LOL
With Yada's thread on her experience & lovely pics, plus the video, I didn't want to miss the chance on a cushion.
I can choose only 1.

FYI:
The plots are a mess, but they are supposed to be eye clean-& since they aren't chunky AVC's, the facets hide a lot.
To be clear: I am NOT expecting these to face up pink, but I do know how some tint in lower colors may affect in AVC/AVR's,
because years back I viewed J's & N's, which started my whole love affair with low colors.
I just can't do the colorless, except for accents or side stones.
What I do not know is how some tint may affect in a non-crushed ice brilliant cushion.
What I am hoping for is something similar to what Yada is experiencing with hers-the sometimes there, sometimes not effect.
I need to satisfy my need for a chameleon 1st.

Because I have no life, & am a serious dork, I have named them
#1 Melange a Trois 1.09 J VS2 6.03 x 5.86 Cushion Brilliant: -the one I think is gonna hit all 3 markers-shape/hint-o-color/acceptable size
#2 Freckles Zinfandel 1.38 J SI1 6.83 X 6.26 Cushion Brilliant: -Jonathan suggested after I asked about the above stone-because...tint & spread
#3 Blanca Rose 1.11 I VS2 6.14 x 5.90 Cushion Brilliant: -I expect this to face full white do not expect to see any hint of tint, as it's an 'I" but you never know

Need some thoughts inspiration & experience (yoo hoo@ yada yada yada & i brake for possums)
I want to bezel whatever I choose, & I want low to medium profile, & the metal to be dark as I can get & matte/brushed
No gold colored metals-I don't do yellow at all.
Rose/Pink gold for the bezel is on the table for sure, a 2 toned
This 1st setting is NOT gonna be my permanent setting, & it needs to be low cost.
I want to experiment on the cheap, but Melange_ 109J.jpg Freckles_138J.jpg Blanca_111I (1).jpg have a functional ring that fits my lifestyle.
I'm not aiming for anything 'traditional' but may have to settle for something plain due to hotdog budget.

I know most will go Ewwww! on these 1st pics, they are at high magnification, the faceting will hide most of the freckles in all.

This is my 1st experience in lab grown diamonds. I want to learn from the ones before me & hope others can see & learn along with me.
I thought it best to start at my personal sweet spot, cushions with some tint.

The added bonus is the trade in policy Jonathan has on his lab grown.
Basically-I can go a little nuts on design of the setting cuz if I decide to be traditional later, or tire of the cut-it's not like Jonathan is ever gonna stop cutting AVC's, so I could put in an order later when finances permit for exactly whatever I want & use what I have as trade in.
I see a win/win here. The question is going to be: which of the 3 will I choose???

sparkleandfire

Rough_Rock
What is Distinctive Gem trade up policy on lab diamonds? I bought one from him but would love to trade up! I emailed him but haven’t heard back what the policy is

kris01vb

Shiny_Rock
What size is your center stone? Also, do you know the mm size of the halo diamonds?

Try some rose gold before you decide for sure. I’m a pinky person and it works on me you may be surprised. I actually have a K lab diamond ring I love it faces up white but has brown tones which I love. It looks white sometimes and sometimes looks like a creamy latte. Agree that pink-pink itself may not have the effect you want but don’t give up yet, esp without seeing rose gold against your skin and the stones. Take some time tomorrow in sunlight, maybe?

0B551575-2F8F-418B-8C23-B30AECABE1EC.jpeg 6E11302F-896B-4ED3-820C-09971F0CD889.jpeg

kris01vb

Shiny_Rock
That’s actually where I got my new one from! It’s 2.45 and has it set in a 4 prong yellow gold setting but it was too dinky for the size of diamond. My jeweler here is putting it in this 6 prong and I’m having a custom halo enhancer band made with 23 1.5mm stones. I should have it by next week!! He has had this new diamond since I got it. I can’t wait to see the new setting and finished product with the custom band. It will have a gap/airline because the stone and prongs have to fit up into it. I’ll share pics with when I get it back but excited to have the new solitaire and option for halo.

Hi! The center is 2ct so 8mm. I don’t know the exact mm for the halo as it was a stock setting: https://www.withclarity.com/engagem...nd/floating-halo-pave-diamond-engagement-ring

But I would guess smaller than 2mm, maybe 1.5mm? My ring finger is a us size 5.5 for reference.

Attachments

• 74B4262F-7530-48DB-83A1-9EB72598CE83.jpeg
    74B4262F-7530-48DB-83A1-9EB72598CE83.jpeg
    139.1 KB · Views: 9
  • A84D4656-C1DB-4A7A-A382-C0CCFB1667A1.jpeg
    A84D4656-C1DB-4A7A-A382-C0CCFB1667A1.jpeg
    168.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 733EA0DD-1584-408E-95DE-E4D78D6FBD64.jpeg
    733EA0DD-1584-408E-95DE-E4D78D6FBD64.jpeg
    62.5 KB · Views: 7

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
That’s actually where I got my new one from! It’s 2.45 and has it set in a 4 prong yellow gold setting but it was too dinky for the size of diamond. My jeweler here is putting it in this 6 prong and I’m having a custom halo enhancer band made with 23 1.5mm stones. I should have it by next week!! He has had this new diamond since I got it. I can’t wait to see the new setting and finished product with the custom band. It will have a gap/airline because the stone and prongs have to fit up into it. I’ll share pics with when I get it back but excited to have the new solitaire and option for halo.

Good news, I can’t wait to see!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results