shape
carat
color
clarity

Champagne Taste Hot Dog Budget

catia

Shiny_Rock
Champagne Taste Hot Dog Budget says it all.

I just viewed & returned 2 gorgeous mined AVC's about .70 & colorless that just felt too small, and too colorless-- for me...I prefer lower colors.
but they were what was available in mined diamonds on my hotdog budget.

My ultimate dream diamond would be a natural mined J or lower color with brown/pink tint & strong fluoro in an AVC or OEC,
replete with kozibe, at least 1.5ct.

Initially my significant other wasn't keen on lab grown- but did some research on his own *with no prodding from me*.
He has changed his mind enough that we are now gonna view a few stones.

I have been viewing Distinctive Gem site for a few months-nothin pulled me on the lab grown side, or away from AVC cut
until I saw those few there with lower color & (very) faint pink.

I will call these 3 the Outliers ;)) since for the most part he is not gonna stock below G-H in labgrowns per his video.

I think yada recently purchased the initial one that I was curious about-the round-but there were also 3 cushions,
though not AVC cut, still Jonathan's cushions, with a faint pink. Gulp!

I have been * itchin like crazy* since they were posted to at least see them, but lab grown wasn't on the table until now.

I believe yada purchased the stone that 1st caught my eye & got me to start looking for labgrown in other colors even if not an AVC cut....

I want to see what a labgrown cushion cut by Jonathan's specs & vetted by him looks like in REAL LIFE.
I figured I better view all 3 before someone snatches them up & didn't want to post about it til I had secured them LOL
With Yada's thread on her experience & lovely pics, plus the video, I didn't want to miss the chance on a cushion.
I can choose only 1.

FYI:
The plots are a mess, but they are supposed to be eye clean-& since they aren't chunky AVC's, the facets hide a lot.
To be clear: I am NOT expecting these to face up pink, but I do know how some tint in lower colors may affect in AVC/AVR's,
because years back I viewed J's & N's, which started my whole love affair with low colors.
I just can't do the colorless, except for accents or side stones.
What I do not know is how some tint may affect in a non-crushed ice brilliant cushion.
What I am hoping for is something similar to what Yada is experiencing with hers-the sometimes there, sometimes not effect.
I need to satisfy my need for a chameleon 1st.

Because I have no life, & am a serious dork, I have named them
#1 Melange a Trois 1.09 J VS2 6.03 x 5.86 Cushion Brilliant: -the one I think is gonna hit all 3 markers-shape/hint-o-color/acceptable size
#2 Freckles Zinfandel 1.38 J SI1 6.83 X 6.26 Cushion Brilliant: -Jonathan suggested after I asked about the above stone-because...tint & spread
#3 Blanca Rose 1.11 I VS2 6.14 x 5.90 Cushion Brilliant: -I expect this to face full white do not expect to see any hint of tint, as it's an 'I" but you never know

Need some thoughts inspiration & experience (yoo hoo@ yada yada yada & i brake for possums)
I want to bezel whatever I choose, & I want low to medium profile, & the metal to be dark as I can get & matte/brushed
No gold colored metals-I don't do yellow at all.
Rose/Pink gold for the bezel is on the table for sure, a 2 toned
This 1st setting is NOT gonna be my permanent setting, & it needs to be low cost.
I want to experiment on the cheap, but Melange_ 109J.jpg Freckles_138J.jpg Blanca_111I (1).jpg have a functional ring that fits my lifestyle.
I'm not aiming for anything 'traditional' but may have to settle for something plain due to hotdog budget.

I know most will go Ewwww! on these 1st pics, they are at high magnification, the faceting will hide most of the freckles in all.

This is my 1st experience in lab grown diamonds. I want to learn from the ones before me & hope others can see & learn along with me.
I thought it best to start at my personal sweet spot, cushions with some tint.

The added bonus is the trade in policy Jonathan has on his lab grown.
Basically-I can go a little nuts on design of the setting cuz if I decide to be traditional later, or tire of the cut-it's not like Jonathan is ever gonna stop cutting AVC's, so I could put in an order later when finances permit for exactly whatever I want & use what I have as trade in.
I see a win/win here. The question is going to be: which of the 3 will I choose???

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pretty stones! The 1st one looked pink to me immediately..I love 1 and 3 the best. Which one do you like the best?

catia

Shiny_Rock
I don't know why the pics above posted the way they did. but the above are in order as they are named 1-2-3 . The pics below here are body tint in 1-2-3-order as well.
"Melange" is a Dune reference-and I'm counting on you all to be the Truthsayers

***Tomorrow I will have them in my hands***Yhey are enroute
(barring another snowstorm, or government mandated restriction on movement of human beings for whatever reason)

Melange-body.png Freckles-body.png Blanca-body.png

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
#1 is my favorite for tint and clarity. I love the blush pink tone it has.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oooh…I love Melange..#1 They’re all pretty though..

catia

Shiny_Rock
Yes, Melange a Trois, the 1.09 J is/ my 1st choice, based solely on the pics.
She was the only one I was gonna view, but then I spoke w/Jonathan about all 3.
All 3 came from the same rough, & he doesn't have intention at this point to move to lower colors, and it's hard to know how they will come out tint wise because the better the cut, the more light, the less tint.
These 3 were kind of a fluke-which is why I am calling them the "Outliers".

I trust his vetting for cuts, so am not worried about bezeling whichever I choose.

Now it's a "game-on" for which one makes my brain do that thing.
I felt I should have something to compare to for color-who knows how it will work out.
All I know is that the fun part is NOW-while they are loose
I have them listed in the order of preference based on pics, but you never really know until you see cushions in person.
I gotta play with them, tilt them, turn them upside down & right side up, take them outside, put them under ugly lighting, put them under spot lighting, & see which one makes it to the finish line.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohhhh fun, love this tint. Personally I like #1 and it will really enhance the color if you bezel it in rose gold. Looking forward to you seeing them in person. Do any of them have faint brown on the cert?

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
I don't know why the pics above posted the way they did. but the above are in order as they are named 1-2-3 . The pics below here are body tint in 1-2-3-order as well.

(barring another snowstorm, or government mandated restriction on movement of human beings for whatever reason)

Which one is this??? OMG, the color!
you are soliciting an ignorant person, I've never bought a LBD. But I would say, I'd trust Jonathan with my life. I've watched him a lot, and it's on my list to buy a diamond from him someday. If I'm wrong, my life is bankrupt.
I'll write when more when I'm more sober. But I think you're on a very good path.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the pinkish one!

catia

Shiny_Rock
HAHAHA-yes, don't look at diamonds while under the influence the refraction will make you dizzy- look at it tomorrow-you are not seeing double or triple.
It's not 1 diamond, it's 3.

1st 3 pics are the faces of each.

2nd 3 pics are the bodies.

I named them.

I'm gonna hafta choose 1.

Yes OMG the color! !!
Yes on Jonathan.
I *almost* feel like a traitor sending back the 2 mined AVC's, but these are still his cut, & & his specs, they are still cushions with NO CRUSHED ICE.

Between the rhodium nightmare, & the mined .70's AVC's in my budget feeling so small...something broke. I said I was going in a totally different direction & breakin all the rules. I meant it.

"Up through the cracks
Up through the broken glass
In the hot red light of a black and white
Roses grow"---Concrete Blonde

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
How fun. Please post pics when you get them.

I saw that video and got to wondering if there is a vendor who would sell low-color LGD specifically in grey. Fancy grey diamonds are expensive. Grey high quality moissy, too. Even grey spinels are costing a lot these days.

Speaking of which, if you are brainstorming settings, here are unsolicited pics of a super comfortable low-set bezel ring (that happens to be holding a grey cushion cut spinel):

2096B8D8-B681-44DD-8A33-CE39E82D454F.jpeg 29613A79-19D5-4FC9-B2E4-97F6381DB853.jpeg

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Ooo I love number one! Gorgeous color and faceting!

CaseySF

Rough_Rock

Oooh I love the first one! How does the diamond develop a slightly pink tint?

catia

Shiny_Rock
Oooh I love the first one! How does the diamond develop a slightly pink tint?
Essentially, it's a flaw which causes the beauty...

My understanding is that pink hue/tint is completely different from the other colors. This is true whether in mined diamonds or lab grown.

Pink is not the result of trace elements such as nitrogen/sulfur/boron like the other colors, but is due to a distortion of the crystal lattice which displaces carbon atoms, reconfiguring the molecules, which causes an alteration in the light reflected.

catia

Shiny_Rock
How fun. Please post pics when you get them.

I saw that video and got to wondering if there is a vendor who would sell low-color LGD specifically in grey. Fancy grey diamonds are expensive. Grey high quality moissy, too. Even grey spinels are costing a lot these days.

Speaking of which, if you are brainstorming settings, here are unsolicited pics of a super comfortable low-set bezel ring (that happens to be holding a grey cushion cut spinel):

2096B8D8-B681-44DD-8A33-CE39E82D454F.jpeg 29613A79-19D5-4FC9-B2E4-97F6381DB853.jpeg

Thank you. I really have no idea-but I suspect there are people fascinated with the greys-& that there IS a market for them, just not mainstream.

I've seen plenty of browns that were not orangey, but more taupe like have knocked my socks off.

I imagine grey would be akin to a blue/silver point siamese cat 8)

I know I would LOVE to see one myself-in person & really check it out.
Seems grey would be AMAZING as long as the diamond is clear & not milky, allowing full refraction.

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
I love the stones you are looking at! I’m pretty curious to hear your thoughts on Freckles Zinfandel when it arrives. I like the size. If the stone is eye clean and has a lovely tone and shape maybe it could be the one?

StarshineSweet

Rough_Rock
Trade
Champagne Taste Hot Dog Budget says it all.

I just viewed & returned 2 gorgeous mined AVC's about .70 & colorless that just felt too small, and too colorless-- for me...I prefer lower colors.
but they were what was available in mined diamonds on my hotdog budget.

My ultimate dream diamond would be a natural mined J or lower color with brown/pink tint & strong fluoro in an AVC or OEC,
replete with kozibe, at least 1.5ct.

Initially my significant other wasn't keen on lab grown- but did some research on his own *with no prodding from me*.
He has changed his mind enough that we are now gonna view a few stones.

I have been viewing Distinctive Gem site for a few months-nothin pulled me on the lab grown side, or away from AVC cut
until I saw those few there with lower color & (very) faint pink.

I will call these 3 the Outliers ;)) since for the most part he is not gonna stock below G-H in labgrowns per his video.

I think yada recently purchased the initial one that I was curious about-the round-but there were also 3 cushions,
though not AVC cut, still Jonathan's cushions, with a faint pink. Gulp!

I have been * itchin like crazy* since they were posted to at least see them, but lab grown wasn't on the table until now.

I believe yada purchased the stone that 1st caught my eye & got me to start looking for labgrown in other colors even if not an AVC cut....

I want to see what a labgrown cushion cut by Jonathan's specs & vetted by him looks like in REAL LIFE.
I figured I better view all 3 before someone snatches them up & didn't want to post about it til I had secured them LOL
With Yada's thread on her experience & lovely pics, plus the video, I didn't want to miss the chance on a cushion.
I can choose only 1.

FYI:
The plots are a mess, but they are supposed to be eye clean-& since they aren't chunky AVC's, the facets hide a lot.
To be clear: I am NOT expecting these to face up pink, but I do know how some tint in lower colors may affect in AVC/AVR's,
because years back I viewed J's & N's, which started my whole love affair with low colors.
I just can't do the colorless, except for accents or side stones.
What I do not know is how some tint may affect in a non-crushed ice brilliant cushion.
What I am hoping for is something similar to what Yada is experiencing with hers-the sometimes there, sometimes not effect.
I need to satisfy my need for a chameleon 1st.

Because I have no life, & am a serious dork, I have named them
#1 Melange a Trois 1.09 J VS2 6.03 x 5.86 Cushion Brilliant: -the one I think is gonna hit all 3 markers-shape/hint-o-color/acceptable size
#2 Freckles Zinfandel 1.38 J SI1 6.83 X 6.26 Cushion Brilliant: -Jonathan suggested after I asked about the above stone-because...tint & spread
#3 Blanca Rose 1.11 I VS2 6.14 x 5.90 Cushion Brilliant: -I expect this to face full white do not expect to see any hint of tint, as it's an 'I" but you never know

Need some thoughts inspiration & experience (yoo hoo@ yada yada yada & i brake for possums)
I want to bezel whatever I choose, & I want low to medium profile, & the metal to be dark as I can get & matte/brushed
No gold colored metals-I don't do yellow at all.
Rose/Pink gold for the bezel is on the table for sure, a 2 toned
This 1st setting is NOT gonna be my permanent setting, & it needs to be low cost.
I want to experiment on the cheap, but Melange_ 109J.jpg Freckles_138J.jpg Blanca_111I (1).jpg have a functional ring that fits my lifestyle.
I'm not aiming for anything 'traditional' but may have to settle for something plain due to hotdog budget.

I know most will go Ewwww! on these 1st pics, they are at high magnification, the faceting will hide most of the freckles in all.

This is my 1st experience in lab grown diamonds. I want to learn from the ones before me & hope others can see & learn along with me.
I thought it best to start at my personal sweet spot, cushions with some tint.

The added bonus is the trade in policy Jonathan has on his lab grown.
Basically-I can go a little nuts on design of the setting cuz if I decide to be traditional later, or tire of the cut-it's not like Jonathan is ever gonna stop cutting AVC's, so I could put in an order later when finances permit for exactly whatever I want & use what I have as trade in.
I see a win/win here. The question is going to be: which of the 3 will I choose???

I saw the most color in the middle one, but all three are really pretty!

maisie2

Shiny_Rock
I absolutely love that first one! I like the pink tint it has, and I prefer the cut on it.

My second choice would be number 3.

catia

Shiny_Rock
Wow. They have arrived. sorry about crap pics with my flip phone, I took MANY-only these were in focus enough to post. Maybe on the weekend when I am off work I might have time to get better ones

I have not viewed these rocks in enough places to make a decision.

A valuable lesson was learned with this experiment right off the bat.

***Today I learned that while I may LOVE faint pink colors in jewelry,
They do not love me.
It's my skin tone.
This may or may not be something a setting can resolve.
I don't know yet & hafta figure this out.

I have heard about morganite 'washing out' on some people's skin tone.
None of these 3 diamonds is near obvious pink as even the palest morganite, but I am getting the "washout effect" like what some people get with morganite.

I get this from #1 Melange a Trois the most, & this breaks my heart. She is off the table. She was my favorite in the pics & I almost purchased without seeing.

I realize now if I am going for tinted effect, I need to go WAY LOWER than J to get contrast & not washout due to my skin tone, if ANY pink is involved.
I might not ever be able to do a pale pink type of stone of any kind.
I've never had one, so I did not know.

Back when I had viewed the AVC N color in my hands, there was no washout.
*** I was NOT expecting this at all and it's breaking my heart because in my mind it all worked so well***

It's between #2 Freckles & #3 Blanca

Here's what I got so far:

#1 Melange a Trois, has the most color to the eye, & it is faint, but there, on & off.
a hint of blush. She mostly faces up white. SUPER fire, eye clean-total beauty, she's a tight package & spicy-This is the one I wanted- My heart was pretty much set on her. Until i actually put her on my finger. It's my skin tone & the body color of the diamond. It is too close. So close it was like the diamond shrunk & she's a nice size!
She's gonna do well on a super fair ginger with that almost 'blue' milky skin undertone, or someone with a darker skin tone. If you can wear a pale morganite without 'washout' you're all good. I hope a PS'er buys her because I would LOVE to see her again & set.

#2 Freckles Zinfandel, has more tint to the body from the middle if that makes any sense. She's larger so you notice the tint from the inside center, but it is very slight. Her size is perfect for me. I am on the fence about whether or not this diamond is 'popping' enough with my skin tone. She's bright & firey & despite that mess of a plot-you do NOT see any freckles. I cannot believe she's eye clean, but she is.

I think I don't experience as much washout with Freckles due to the size/spread & all the colors coming off her & fire-her sparks are bigger due to size difference. Maybe this can be remedied with a setting so there's more contrast against my skin??? I don't know***
Freckles needs to be in rose gold or a deep yellow to pay up her tint.
Her body color is like a pale white zinfindel.

#3 Blanca Rose, She was the 3rd wheel- I just threw in last minute because I was curious for comparison sake, because she has 'faint pink listed in her report. She pops on my finger, she's crisp-but not cold. She's mostly a square, Zero washout against my skin tone-because zero noticeable pink. Upside down she's faint pink, but face up she is a lovely perfect soft white, a perfect mixture because while an I, there is zero yellow. She's the total package.

If I can *simply* remedy any washout with a setting, it's Freckles the 1.38, but I might be kidding myself.
The ONLY issue I have with Blanca is size. She is a full 1.11, but I want a low profile bezel & am afraid she might shrink.
Weirdest thing is you can clearly see size difference in regular lighting, but not in spot lighting.

For a decade my DREAM STONE was a light brown/pink.
And Poof! There it just went.
My plan was a rose gold bezel head & white gold, to pop any hint of pink- but now I think I better do some homework because rose gold may also washout & not look good with my skin tone.

***Whine & Cheese--I need to mourn the dream & let it go***

the girls.jpg Freckles-and-Blanca.jpg

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
Is there any way you can take clearer pics? They are super blurry and it's hard to truly evaluate. Also, could you take one ring per photo? All together they kind of blend.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds like you have ruled them out but just wanted to throw out there that if do a white diamond halo it might just work, it would provide a nice contrast to the diamond as well.

I’m not sure why my pink tinted works, maybe because it is a color grade lower and faint brown. I also have fair (Irish/Polish) skin and have not had that wash out issue, so maybe you just need a bit lower color grade and a little brown tint.

I second some clearer pictures of these diamonds if you can.

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
Try some rose gold before you decide for sure. I’m a pinky person and it works on me you may be surprised. I actually have a K lab diamond ring I love it faces up white but has brown tones which I love. It looks white sometimes and sometimes looks like a creamy latte. Agree that pink-pink itself may not have the effect you want but don’t give up yet, esp without seeing rose gold against your skin and the stones. Take some time tomorrow in sunlight, maybe?

0B551575-2F8F-418B-8C23-B30AECABE1EC.jpeg 6E11302F-896B-4ED3-820C-09971F0CD889.jpeg

catia

Shiny_Rock
***I am pretty sure my 3rd wheel, Blanca, ended up being a Hemi.
Less surface area, but more power. ;))***

No I am not taking requests to do each finger!
Glam pics are a vendor's job it's built into the price lol.

You all are a rough crowd!

IF I get time over the weekend I will try.
Jonathans pics are best. He's all about the glam.

The moral of the story above is that it does not matter what the pics show-
you are not going to know for sure until you see it with your own eyes in real life.
There is no substitute for in real life.

How cool is it that you can order diamonds from the comfort of your sofa while in your pj's & not even have to deal with the shenanigans. You can see for yourself. No salesman, no magic lighting, no pressure & no public.

catia

Shiny_Rock
It sounds like you have ruled them out but just wanted to throw out there that if do a white diamond halo it might just work, it would provide a nice contrast to the diamond as well.

I’m not sure why my pink tinted works, maybe because it is a color grade lower and faint brown. I also have fair (Irish/Polish) skin and have not had that wash out issue, so maybe you just need a bit lower color grade and a little brown tint.

I second some clearer pictures of these diamonds if you can.

You've got the undertone to your that allows this-I don't. I can't wear gold, I look dreadful sickly in yellow, and actually I don't look good in most pinks, unless there's some violet undertone. It never occurred to me that it would carry over to jewelry they way it did.
By the way, my old roommate decades ago was irish/Polish-she had the most beautiful red hair & milky skin to die for-she also looked amazing in those almost nude color pale pinks. Must be a thing with that mix-thank your parents!

catia

Shiny_Rock
Try some rose gold before you decide for sure. I’m a pinky person and it works on me you may be surprised. I actually have a K lab diamond ring I love it faces up white but has brown tones which I love. It looks white sometimes and sometimes looks like a creamy latte. Agree that pink-pink itself may not have the effect you want but don’t give up yet, esp without seeing rose gold against your skin and the stones. Take some time tomorrow in sunlight, maybe?

0B551575-2F8F-418B-8C23-B30AECABE1EC.jpeg 6E11302F-896B-4ED3-820C-09971F0CD889.jpeg

That is sooo pretty-seriously-it's perfect.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know after I read your other post on my thread and thought about it, I’m pretty sure the round diamond I bought wasn’t one you were looking at.

There was a round diamond around a carat on Jon’s site that had an actual pink tint listed on the cert, it was around $1600. I was watching it because I wanted to see video when they actually had it in hand but it must have sold before then.

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
***I am pretty sure my 3rd wheel, Blanca, ended up being a Hemi.
Less surface area, but more power. ;))***

No I am not taking requests to do each finger!
Glam pics are a vendor's job it's built into the price lol.

You all are a rough crowd!

IF I get time over the weekend I will try.
Jonathans pics are best. He's all about the glam.

The moral of the story above is that it does not matter what the pics show-
you are not going to know for sure until you see it with your own eyes in real life.
There is no substitute for in real life.

How cool is it that you can order diamonds from the comfort of your sofa while in your pj's & not even have to deal with the shenanigans. You can see for yourself. No salesman, no magic lighting, no pressure & no public.

We are not rough at all. We are simply trying to help you as requested and the photos you provided do not give any actual insight as to how they look on your finger because they are completely blurry. That said, it sounds as though you've made up your mind and I wish you well on your search.

catia

Shiny_Rock
You know after I read your other post on my thread and thought about it, I’m pretty sure the round diamond I bought wasn’t one you were looking at.

There was a round diamond around a carat on Jon’s site that had an actual pink tint listed on the cert, it was around $1600. I was watching it because I wanted to see video when they actually had it in hand but it must have sold before then.

Yes-I did think it was your stone-it even looked like the same inclusion as yours-& the one in the video & the one he had listed on his site-where did you find yours? I'm confused.

catia

Shiny_Rock
Decision isn't final yet, there's a lot to iron out.

Right now I'm all happy looking at 'diamonds', while the other 1/2 is still on the fence about lab grown & I can't dismiss that end.

He's (trying to) crunch details & #'s & we're both trying to work more than full time, & this process is exhausting. Hopefully both of us *might* be off for the weekend so we can get together & figure stuff out.

We're trying to figure out where that price chart is on DG website that is in the video that John has explaining all the details. Does anyone have a link to it? We found it once but can't find it now.
On the custom cut the amount at the bottom of the page is deposit only, & doesn't reflect the actual price.
We don't have time to keep watching the video over & over with our schedules.
He wants to see stuff in black & white.

I'm on board but I've got sparkley stuff in my face. I need to get the info together & show him policies, & I can't find them.

catia

Shiny_Rock
And FYI--Blanca does have an almost lavender pink hue sometimes-I saw it clearly today. It is so so faint but definately there & doesn't get affected by my skin tone-I think because it is less blush & almost violet & ever so slight-it's beautiful.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results