shape
carat
color
clarity

Chain store rings. Is this 1 worth the money?

crazyinluv86

Rough_Rock
I am in love with this ring from Helzberg Diamonds (link below), but I keep hearing that it is not a good idea to buy from big chain stores found in malls because of the extensive price markups. Any thoughts on this? I have compared the specs of this ring to many rings I have found online, and feel that it is a good deal. I prefer chains because of the option to finance, and also the lifetime warranty and the ability to stop into the store for care.

The ring's center stone is 5/8 carat, and the total weight is 1 carat. Clarity is SI and color is H-I. However, the intricacy of the design is what makes it so unique, and thus worth the price, IMO. I am not big on carats, although I'd like it to be respectable, which this is to me.

I need an expert opinion. Is this a rip off???

Link to ring: http://www.helzberg.com/product/1ct+tw+diamond+engagement+ring+1680680.do?sortby=ourPick

Thanks!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
What specifically are you thinking the Lifetime Warranty covers? When I searched their website for "warranty" nothing popped up.

Regarding financing——the 26.9% annual interest they charge is ridiculous. No ering is worth that level of markup. Save first. Then make your purchase.

llamage

Rough_Rock
Hi Crazyinluv,

I think you need to be a little more specific when you say "compared to other online stores."
I looked at your center stone

Item Number: 1680680
Gemstone Type: Diamond
Center Diamond Clarity: SI
Metal Type: Gold
Center Stone Carat Weight: 3/8ct .37-.44
Center Diamond Color: H-I
Metal Color: White
Center Gemstone Shape: Emerald Cut
Metal Content: 14kt

The center stone is 3/8 ct, not 5/8. Based on a pricescope search here are some diamonds that are around 3/8 ct

Carat Clr Clarity Depth Table Lab Cut Sym Pol Flr Measurements HnA HCA $/Carat Price Source
0.40 H SI1 65.8% 62% GIA G VG F 4.77x3.66x2.41 N $1334 $533
0.40 H SI1 65.8% 62% GIA G VG F 4.77x3.66x2.41 N $1569 $627
0.49 H SI1 66.2% 75% GIA VG VG N 5.48x3.94x2.61 N $1255 $615

As you can see given H and SI 1 clarity, the center stone is worth approximately $600 if you purchase from online vendors.

So that leaves $2400 for the rest of the ring. I'm not an expert on settings but I don't think that particular setting is worth $2400...given that total weight of the rest of the diamonds and white gold. Others may chime in.

However, that is not to say it's not "worth it" to you. If you LOVE it, and you are willing to pay that amount... then maybe that price is indeed good for you.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Have you tried this ring on? I think your most likely paying for the setting for this ring, it has a lot going on.

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly, you are over paying for what you get. The quality of the setting doesnt look all that good to me.

farmer gal

Brilliant_Rock
I forgot to add if you call WF you get a pricescope discount :loopy:

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
While it's a pretty ring, you can get something similar with a bigger diamond. Plus you can spend more online because you don't have taxes. I would not buy from helzberg.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Overpaying for the ring and the financing is a major rip-off if it is 26% interest! Wow! Plus, you still have to get insurance even if they have a lifetime warranty because their warranty isn't going to cover a loss in all circumstances. There are better options for sure.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, in general chain store rings are not worth the money. I wouldn't finance a ring with that type of interest either. You'd be better off finding a layaway or just saving up and paying cash when you have the funds saved. The store warranty really doesn't mean much. Just about any jeweler would clean your ring for free and many will even offer the service of checking your stones. If you buy online a nice local mom and pop store is a good choice IMO to provide this service. Most online jewelers offer some type of warranty as well. I would also be concerned about the quality of the setting. With pave rings in particular you pretty much always get what you pay for.

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
No, it's not worth $3000. You'd be better off going with one of the online vendors.

crazyinluv86

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the correction on the center stone...it is 3/8 carat, not 5/8. As far as the financing, the first year is 0% so he would definitely pay it off before interest would kick in. Yes, 26% is RIDICULOUS! You all make good points about the tax though. I did not realize there is no tax when buying a ring online. And the warranty covers cleaning, checking stones, and replacing any stones (including the center) that fall out. I doubt it covers losing the ring though. Thanks for all the advice.

So my next dilemma is...my boyfriend prefers to buy a ring in a store, and said he'd never buy online because he wouldn't be able to see (read: touch and hold) what he's buying. I do see where he is coming from. What are some other options to get a good price for a ring that is not online? Do you recommend buying and returning if you don't like it. Anyone ever returned or exchanged an online ring for an entirely different one if it didn't meet expectations?

I hate shopping for stones separately from settings! I like to see the finished product of what I'm purchasing before I purchase it.

Me and the BF will have to work on being more open-minded!

crazyinluv86

Rough_Rock
Yes, I tried it on and fell in love with it. I think you are right.....I am paying for the setting and I do not think I would be able to find a setting like that elsewhere.

A

Anonymous

crazyinluv86|1306448832|2931193 said:
Thanks for the correction on the center stone...it is 3/8 carat, not 5/8. As far as the financing, the first year is 0% so he would definitely pay it off before interest would kick in. Yes, 26% is RIDICULOUS! You all make good points about the tax though. I did not realize there is no tax when buying a ring online. And the warranty covers cleaning, checking stones, and replacing any stones (including the center) that fall out. I doubt it covers losing the ring though. Thanks for all the advice.

So my next dilemma is...my boyfriend prefers to buy a ring in a store, and said he'd never buy online because he wouldn't be able to see (read: touch and hold) what he's buying. I do see where he is coming from. What are some other options to get a good price for a ring that is not online? Do you recommend buying and returning if you don't like it. Anyone ever returned or exchanged an online ring for an entirely different one if it didn't meet expectations?

I hate shopping for stones separately from settings! I like to see the finished product of what I'm purchasing before I purchase it.

Me and the BF will have to work on being more open-minded!

If you're in love w/the setting, maybe you can convince them to sell you the setting and buy your own diamond. Probably not, but maybe. FWIW, my FI purchased my stone online and the setting in store. We get the best of both worlds and saved about 1K. GL!

crazyinluv86

Rough_Rock
Thanks you so much for breaking it down like this. Now I understand! You are right that the setting is not worth $2400...at least not the diamonds. I am guessing I am paying for the intricate antique design, not to mention mall store overhead.

I just hope I can find a setting as beautiful as this somewhere else. It's always hard for me to envision how the finished ring will look by only looking at settings with no diamond. I hate that :/

Maybe I can take a picture of this setting to a local jeweler to see if he has anything similar. Then I can always buy the diamond online and have it set. Decisions, decisions.

Throw my BF in the mix and it'll never get done! :)

crazyinluv86

Rough_Rock
Thanks for posting all these rings. This is really helpful!

crazyinluv86

Rough_Rock
tammy77|1306449468|2931203 said:
If you're in love w/the setting, maybe you can convince them to sell you the setting and buy your own diamond. Probably not, but maybe. FWIW, my FI purchased my stone online and the setting in store. We get the best of both worlds and saved about 1K. GL!

Great suggestion. Thanks!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the Beverely K settings Gypsy posted. You would be getting far better quality.

And yes, when you order a diamond and/or ring with a return policy, if you for some reason do not like it, you return it. Now that will only apply in the case of stock settings at certain vendors, not custom. I think Beverley K is a pretty safe bet, though, even if it can't be returned.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

DonnaH

Rough_Rock
My husband and I were exactly the same when looking to upgrade. He, in now way wanted to buy online. After finding Pricescope, it opened my eyes to a whole new possibility. I am not in the process fo having a ring cutom made by MArk at ERD. Here is a ring that is close to the one you are looking at and it is from Pearlman's. They will even send you the ring to look at

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/beverley-k-jewelry/rings/108PP1/...it is $1375 and then you could spend $1625 on a diamond...just a thought.

Check out pearlmans and some others and I am sure you can come up with something that suits your budget as well as the BLING you want!!!!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
swingirl|1306398883|2930642 said:
What specifically are you thinking the Lifetime Warranty covers? When I searched their website for "warranty" nothing popped up.

Regarding financing——the 26.9% annual interest they charge is ridiculous. No ering is worth that level of markup. Save first. Then make your purchase.
:o ..my loan shark charge me 20%.. :praise:

crazyinluv86

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1306450884|2931224 said:
http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/beverley-k-jewelry/rings/97PP1/ is lovely. They can order it for any shape center.

Wow....this Beverly K ring that you posted is VERY close to the Helzberg ring I love. Thanks so much, I had never seen anything so similar. Just one thing....it appears that the setting is $2,510. I'm pretty sure the price does not include the center stone since the website did not give any diamond specs.

Looks like this is just about the same price as the one I want from Helzberg....if not a little more. Am I looking at this right? If so, maybe the style of setting I like is just pricey. Just my luck!

I looked at the other antique rings posted and none of them "tickle my fancy". But thank you so much for posting them. It's good to know what options are out there!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, settings like that are going to be expensive, but quality will still vary. Beverley K is very fine quality.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
DonnaH|1306452884|2931253 said:
My husband and I were exactly the same when looking to upgrade. He, in now way wanted to buy online. After finding Pricescope, it opened my eyes to a whole new possibility. I am not in the process fo having a ring cutom made by MArk at ERD. Here is a ring that is close to the one you are looking at and it is from Pearlman's. They will even send you the ring to look at

http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/beverley-k-jewelry/rings/108PP1/...it is $1375 and then you could spend $1625 on a diamond...just a thought.

Check out pearlmans and some others and I am sure you can come up with something that suits your budget as well as the BLING you want!!!!
I just wanted to add that Pearlman's is a spectacular store to deal with! My e-ring is BeverlyK and Pearlman's sent me a sterling copy of the ring with a cz to wear around for a couple of days to make sure it was really the ONE! Being able to look at it from all angles and seeing it on my hand were really what sealed the deal for me. Julian, my salesman was returning emails within a half an hours, and ALWAYS available by phone.

And when you say that this mounting is just about as much as the Helzberg mount, I'm going to use an analogy that may sound somewhat insulting, but it would be comparing dinner at McDonald's to one at the best steakhouse in town!!

Good luck in your search, and I'm really glad you found Pricescope. It will make all the difference to you in the end!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
if the mounting is $2500...a 3/8 carat emerald cut should be around $500, so your total ring cost would be the same. just a thought :)

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI!
You've gotten a lot of great advice here so far but I thought I'd add a few other options so you can see what kind of bang you can get for your buck if you can convince your boyfriend to buy online (if you show him www.goodoldgold.com they have educational videos and comparison videos so he may feel more comfortable going that route...which isn't a bad route bc GOG rocks!)

Something to consider (bc you mentioned the 0% for one year) is perhaps getting a nice stone for now (you seem to like step cuts so I'd check out GOG different videos comparing step cuts) and see if you can't get your dream setting later. Put it all into the rock for now and save until you can get your dream setting made.

Here are a few options that I found while searching (These probably aren't going to be the best cut emeralds but I just stuck to your budget and found things I thought were similar)

http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=2813

http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=2146

http://www.newyorkestatejewelry.com/engagement-rings/0.63ct-diamond-18k-white-gold-engagement-ring/10783/3/item

This one is a halo setting...

http://www.newyorkestatejewelry.com/engagement-rings/0.80ct-emerald-cut--diamond-14k--gold-engagement-ring-&-wedding-band-set/14784/3/item

This is right in your price range and quite similar
http://cgi.ebay.com/14K-White-Gold-Emerald-Cut-Diamond-Ring-/170646139233?pt=Diamond_Solitaire_with_Accents&hash=item27bb4d7161

http://cgi.ebay.com/90CT-EMERALD-CUT-DIA-ENG-RING-SIDE-DIAMONDS-/180672100145?pt=Diamond_Solitaire_with_Accents&hash=item2a10e57731

http://cgi.ebay.com/Penny-Preville-18KW-Emerald-Cut-Diamond-Engagement-Ring-/160592372763?pt=Diamond_Solitaire_with_Accents&hash=item25640d241b

http://cgi.ebay.com/57CT-EMERALD-CUT-VINTAGE-DIAMOND-ENG-RING-18KT-W-G-/200613185254?pt=Diamond_Solitaire_with_Accents&hash=item2eb57a46e6

There are quite a few nice setting that are reasonable in price that you could use for a temp setting that would look good with step cuts here (antiqueengagementrings also have nice settings)
http://www.doverjewelry.com/catalog/ring_settings

I also found one that looks really close but it's actually a high ctw and more expensive but I'll link you to it anyways
http://www.rubylane.com/item/514555-rl-498/1-73-Carat-Emerald-Cut

Here is a bridal set (yellow gold but you could rhodium plate it)
http://www.rubylane.com/item/546437-wedemc1005side80002/Brilliant-1-69ct-Emerald-Diamond

Also here are 2 emerald cuts at GOG under your budget. That would leave you about 1500.00 or so for the setting and GOG carries lots of nice settings (including beverly k and I also believe GOG now does in house financing...)
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamondResults.php?shape=24576&ctMax=.7&resultsColumns=268435471

And a link to emerald cut videos done by GOG
http://www.vimeo.com/diamondinfo/videos/search:emerald%20cut/sort:newest

There are many threads on GOG that you can show your bf if he's uncertain about buying online. There have been people who've bought international and to be honest the certificates and information that the online vendors here provide you with WAY more information and quality than you'd find at most mall stores. (Also something to consider is upgrade policies, most malls its 2x more in order to upgrade and also GOG has a 70% buy back policy on a lot of their stones. I know it's not something you plan for but it's nice to have as a back up in just in case for whatever reason).

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
crazyinluv86|1306499709|2931598 said:
Gypsy|1306450884|2931224 said:
http://www.pearlmansjewelers.com/jewelry-designers/beverley-k-jewelry/rings/97PP1/ is lovely. They can order it for any shape center.

Wow....this Beverly K ring that you posted is VERY close to the Helzberg ring I love. Thanks so much, I had never seen anything so similar. Just one thing....it appears that the setting is $2,510. I'm pretty sure the price does not include the center stone since the website did not give any diamond specs.

Looks like this is just about the same price as the one I want from Helzberg....if not a little more. Am I looking at this right? If so, maybe the style of setting I like is just pricey. Just my luck!

I looked at the other antique rings posted and none of them "tickle my fancy". But thank you so much for posting them. It's good to know what options are out there!

The quality of the BK rings are far superior to the Helzberg setting. Pearlman's doesn't list their stones but specialize in ideal cuts and will be able to find you something in your budget. They also will offer a discount for Pricescope members so be sure to mention you are a Pricescoper. Like, Uppy said, they will also send out a ring on memo and it's a great way to be able to try it on and see it in person. I'd definitely give them a call at the very least.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results