shape
carat
color
clarity

Certificate Shelf Life...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

esp102

Rough_Rock
Hi again...

When looking at stones online when should one think that the certificate is outdated? I''m looking at July 2005 - GIA.

And should one wonder, what''s wrong with this stone since the cert is not fresh?

Just wondering on your thoughts...

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
For a diamond to be unsold for such a period of time is definitely not unusual. I would start worrying if the cert was three years old or more.

Live long,

widget

Ideal_Rock
Author: Paul-Antwerp

I would start worrying if the cert was three years old or more.
Why??

widget

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If a diamond is not sold for a long time, there might be something inherently wrong with that stone. It could be that it just is a size-colour-clarity-cut-combo that is not popular with that retailer, but then, he probably would not have bought it to start with.

I just wanted to say that six months is not an example of such a long time. Three years is more like it.

Live long,

marriahlyn

Shiny_Rock
If you are working with a vendor that has a trade-up policy, it could be that the stone has been traded up. I just bought a stone with a 2004 GIA and I''m pretty sure it is a stone that might have been traded up for larger size etc. I wouldn''t worry too much about it. Remember any stone can be "used".......all they would have to do is resend to GIA for a newly dated cert. I think I saved money by them not having to recert it.

Jaime

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2006 7:00:48 PM
Author: marriahlyn
If you are working with a vendor that has a trade-up policy, it could be that the stone has been traded up. I just bought a stone with a 2004 GIA and I''m pretty sure it is a stone that might have been traded up for larger size etc. I wouldn''t worry too much about it. Remember any stone can be ''used''.......all they would have to do is resend to GIA for a newly dated cert. I think I saved money by them not having to recert it.

Jaime
I thought vendors with a trade up/in policy re-certed the stones. I am nearly 100% that I read on the WF web site that they do.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/12/2006 3:55:33 PM
If a diamond is not sold for a long time, there might be something inherently wrong with that stone. It could be that it just is a size-colour-clarity-cut-combo that is not popular with that retailer, but then, he probably would not have bought it to start with.

I just wanted to say that six months is not an example of such a long time. Three years is more like it.

Live long,
Hi Paul,

I am sorry, but i dont agree with you answer..., what youre saying is that diamonds graded by GIA or any other reputable labs over three years ago are "inherently wrong"??

We are buying all year long diamonds with old certificates..., and we are paying top $$$ for most od them...

If you would say that about Fancy colour diamonds and add more years than three, i would agree with you a hundred %, since the whole colour grading system for fancy colored diamonds have changed.

But for ordinary colorless diamonds three years is a small pip''s in history.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock

Live long,
I recently inquired about an AGS-0 that has a cert from Nov 2004 and was told that it could have possibly been sitting in inventory a long time because it is an SI2 clarity and that the average consumer is not looking at SI2 in an AGS-0 quality cut stone. I guess that sort of makes sense.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/14/2006 7:22:31 AM
Author: DiaGem

Live long,
Hi Paul,

I am sorry, but i dont agree with you answer..., what youre saying is that diamonds graded by GIA or any other reputable labs over three years ago are ''inherently wrong''??
I am sorry, but I did not even hint to that. I said not to worry about shelf-life, even if the cert is three years old.

At some point in time, one should however consider the question why nobody else bought this stone before. Still then, there can be a completely logical explanation. But it is a legitimate question.

Live long,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results