shape
carat
color
clarity

Center Stone for 3 stone truffle? Alternatives?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

calcaver

Rough_Rock

My fiancé has decided on a three stone Vatche Truffle setting in a size 7.75. What remains is choosing a center stone that will match nicely with the two 0.25 H&A side stones. I would like to get something between 0.8 - 1 ct. (Going over 1 ct really increases the price!) The budget for the center stone is $3200 max.

I came across the following stone:
http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-183730.htm

I am assured the strong blue does not have any milkiness problems. As far as I can tell the idealscope and aset look fine, but even after reading all the material I cannot translate the information into what actually produces a great looking diamond.

What do you think? Good choice, or should I go smaller to get better color?

Thanks

Paul

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
Do you know what color the sidestones will be?

ILikeBond

Shiny_Rock
I see its reserved - did you put a hold on it?

If so, I say kudos.
36.gif
I''d want to make sure the major incusion under the table was eyeclean, but at under a carat, chances are it will be, or at the worst only noticeable with strong concentration. At .90, you''re getting very close to 1 ct. without hitting the "price point" where, as you mention, the price goes up dramatically. It can be hard to find stones b/tw .9 and .99 (although there are a few on WF now), and they appear the same size as 1 ct. Finally, the strong blue fluorescence is typically thought to counteract the yellow color in lower colored diamonds, meaning it might make the I appear more colorless. Nice find.
10.gif

calcaver

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/11/2007 10:44:15 PM
Author: cpster
Do you know what color the sidestones will be?
Good question. I assume the vendor will select side stones that will match nicely with the center stone. However, most of the time I have seen the provided sides are generally in the G VS2 range. I will inquire.

ILikeBond, yes I reserved the stone. I can''t let someone else grab that from me!
3.gif

Paul

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
I think if the sidestones are within two color grades you should be good. The strong blue flour should help the color a bit too. I wouldn't go any smaller on the center stone.

Here's a mock up from the adiamondisforever.com site. It's a one carat center with .25 on each side.

It should be a stunner.
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s the image.

threestonew_25side.jpg

calcaver

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/12/2007 1:17:32 AM
Author: cpster
Here''s the image.
cpster,

I assume the photo is to scale. Thanks! I was wondering what the proportions the side stones should be to the center stone. I have seen various proportions. I wonder how a center with the 0.9 ct center and 0.17 cts (0.33 ctw) on the side would look?

Thanks,

Paul

Odinsmom

Rough_Rock
I had this stone pulled and looked at by Whiteflash a couple of weeks ago. They indicated it shows a slight milkyness in sunny outdoor lighting. Better check on that.

calcaver

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/12/2007 12:19:04 PM
Author: Odinsmom
I had this stone pulled and looked at by Whiteflash a couple of weeks ago. They indicated it shows a slight milkyness in sunny outdoor lighting. Better check on that.
Hmm, that would seem to contradict what I have been told by Whiteflash. John, care to offer an opinion?

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results