Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Center Stone for 3 stone truffle? Alternatives?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

calcaver

Rough_Rock

My fiancé has decided on a three stone Vatche Truffle setting in a size 7.75. What remains is choosing a center stone that will match nicely with the two 0.25 H&A side stones. I would like to get something between 0.8 - 1 ct. (Going over 1 ct really increases the price!) The budget for the center stone is $3200 max.

I came across the following stone:
http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-183730.htm

I am assured the strong blue does not have any milkiness problems. As far as I can tell the idealscope and aset look fine, but even after reading all the material I cannot translate the information into what actually produces a great looking diamond.

What do you think? Good choice, or should I go smaller to get better color?

Thanks

Paul

ILikeBond

Shiny_Rock
I see its reserved - did you put a hold on it?

If so, I say kudos.
I''d want to make sure the major incusion under the table was eyeclean, but at under a carat, chances are it will be, or at the worst only noticeable with strong concentration. At .90, you''re getting very close to 1 ct. without hitting the "price point" where, as you mention, the price goes up dramatically. It can be hard to find stones b/tw .9 and .99 (although there are a few on WF now), and they appear the same size as 1 ct. Finally, the strong blue fluorescence is typically thought to counteract the yellow color in lower colored diamonds, meaning it might make the I appear more colorless. Nice find.

calcaver

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/11/2007 10:44:15 PM
Author: cpster
Do you know what color the sidestones will be?
Good question. I assume the vendor will select side stones that will match nicely with the center stone. However, most of the time I have seen the provided sides are generally in the G VS2 range. I will inquire.

ILikeBond, yes I reserved the stone. I can''t let someone else grab that from me!

Paul

cpster

Brilliant_Rock
I think if the sidestones are within two color grades you should be good. The strong blue flour should help the color a bit too. I wouldn't go any smaller on the center stone.

Here's a mock up from the adiamondisforever.com site. It's a one carat center with .25 on each side.

It should be a stunner.

calcaver

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/12/2007 1:17:32 AM
Author: cpster
Here''s the image.
cpster,

I assume the photo is to scale. Thanks! I was wondering what the proportions the side stones should be to the center stone. I have seen various proportions. I wonder how a center with the 0.9 ct center and 0.17 cts (0.33 ctw) on the side would look?

Thanks,

Paul

Odinsmom

Rough_Rock
I had this stone pulled and looked at by Whiteflash a couple of weeks ago. They indicated it shows a slight milkyness in sunny outdoor lighting. Better check on that.

calcaver

Rough_Rock
Date: 1/12/2007 12:19:04 PM
Author: Odinsmom
I had this stone pulled and looked at by Whiteflash a couple of weeks ago. They indicated it shows a slight milkyness in sunny outdoor lighting. Better check on that.
Hmm, that would seem to contradict what I have been told by Whiteflash. John, care to offer an opinion?

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip’s Love Story told through Jewelry
    Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip’s Love Story told through Jewelry
    Style File: Emma Watson
    Style File: Emma Watson
    F. Scott Fitzgerald and Zelda Sayre's Wedding
    F. Scott Fitzgerald and Zelda Sayre's Wedding

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.