shape
carat
color
clarity

CBI/ HP diamonds

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, there is great uncertainty about what is going on with HPD and CBI and the related fall-out from Paul's firing/departure and alleged litigation surrounding all of that.

PS has not updated its Announcement thread which makes me think the situation is still unresolved.

To my knowledge this situation is not addressed whatsoever on HPD's website.

Potential CBI/HPD customers should be aware of this.

To the extent that customers have purchased from HPD in the last 6-12 months, likely those diamonds were already cut under the prior business structure/organization.

There has been no new inventory posted in the HPD website, and the HPD website has not been updated in some time. To me, these are all red flags. Others may not care.

HPD has no new inventory because they are launching a brand new website and all new inventory goes there. I asked about that when I mentioned an upgrade to Wink. He said the new inventory is coming in no time but he can also source the stone I want for me - but still suggested I should wait for the new inventory to see if I like something from there.

Txborn79

Shiny_Rock
HPD has no new inventory because they are launching a brand new website and all new inventory goes there. I asked about that when I mentioned an upgrade to Wink. He said the new inventory is coming in no time but he can also source the stone I want for me - but still suggested I should wait for the new inventory to see if I like something from there.

Did they happen to say when that might be with the website? I had asked about new inventory and was told mid February or so but didn’t ask about when the new website might be up.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@daisygrl, yes, I know there is anecdotal information floating around, he said, she said, but there is no official published statement or announcement ...

It is in Wink's best interest to put a gloss on what's happening, but the fact is that HPD is involved in an ongoing ownership dispute with CBI which is yet to be resolved ... your concerns may be assuaged by a positive self-serving spin delivered by an interested party, but mine are not.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
@daisygrl, yes, I know there is anecdotal information floating around, he said, she said, but there is no official published statement or announcement ...

It is in Wink's best interest to put a gloss on what's happening, but the fact is that HPD is involved in an ongoing ownership dispute with CBI which is yet to be resolved ... your concerns may be assuaged by a positive self-serving spin delivered by an interested party, but mine are not.

I agree that it would be at Wink's best interest to say something. He has his own reasons why has not done so, of course. If it were my business, I would respond.

I respectfully disagree with your "assuaged by a positive self-serving spins" - that is just your opinion/speculation of me. I am in no position to defend HPD - they are here to make money off of me and I am well aware of that. Just like every other vendor. And I exercise my privilege to choose to whom I give my money if I want a perfection and I am happy to give it to HPD. I am not paid to defend them. I am stating facts based on my experience with them when compared to BG and WF. By doing so I am opposing speculations what might or might not happen to HPD if Wink retires or if the dispute is still ongoing...etc. I purchased items from them during this dispute and all went flawlessly.

Last edited:

marrduk24

Shiny_Rock
I respectfully ask that we don’t get into whether it is ok for some people to feel hesitant at working with HPD until there is more clarity while others may not quite share that concern. FWIW, I personally do think that there is enough uncertainty that I as a buyer feel hesitant at doing a large purchase with them. If I didn’t, I would have gone seeking more information. It’s also worth mentioning that even those who feel hesitant because of current uncertainty, have nothing but great things to say about Wink and quality of CBI diamonds. So everyone is wishing them nothing but best luck.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
^ Understood and agree.

FWIW HPD and CBI could post status announcements and updates on their own forums (i.e., company websites and company social media accounts for that matter).

PS Admin also has the option of updating its Announcement thread with factually supported information; personally, I hope PS Admin would do so if and when there is information relevant to PSers and consumers.

eta: I definitely appreciate and thank PS Admin for posting that initial Announcement thread - without it, I doubt many of us would have known anything about the matter. In terms of timeline, Wink's email was sent out after the PS Announcement thread was posted, likely prompted by the thread and its temporary ouster as PS vendor/sponsor.

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
^ Understood and agree.

FWIW HPD and CBI could post status announcements and updates on their own forums (i.e., company websites and company social media accounts for that matter).

PS Admin also has the option of updating its Announcement thread with factually supported information; personally, I hope PS Admin would do so if and when there is information relevant to PSers and consumers.
Agreed. Information builds more consumer trust than silence. My guess is that there are legalities that need to be handled delicately and circumspectly... and whilst disclosure builds consumer trust, perhaps that’s not an option for them right now?

I honestly don’t know. I hope that when information can be released, it is released promptly and publicly. I’m confident the HPD team is aware that their brand has taken a hit.

Last edited:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about the new site? I've been hearing it will be about 7-10 days since Feb 25th.

marrduk24

Shiny_Rock
I had the same question. I keep checking and only see the old site. Inventory hasn’t changed either - same 134 diamonds.
CBI’s own website is non existent.

I had spoken to Wink and he was hopeful that by mid March the new website is up. So guessing they have run into some sort of issues.

Hoping all of this gets sorted soon.

Last edited:

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
I had the same question. I keep checking and only see the old site. Inventory hasn’t changed either - same 134 diamonds.
CBI’s own website is non existent.
Hoping all of this gets sorted soon.

Yeah, I'm interested to see what they actually have in stock right now.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting that 3 grading reports (AGS, GIA, and GCAL) are available for each diamond for more transparency.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m having fun looking at the new photos/imagery!

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Exciting update on the provision of diamond reports. Let’s see if there will be other updates on the site.

marrduk24

Shiny_Rock
I knew that they would launch imaging with GCAL but didn’t know they would launch GIA certification too.
Wink knew with Paul gone the would be customers are hesitant about the cut & quality. So I guess he has really gone overboard.

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
This is great!

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Multiple certifications. Yaaay! :dance::clap:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Major Kudos to Wink and his team. Talk about full disclosure. Now people won't question. GIA/AGS... There is it. I would not hesitate to buy from them in the future. Congratulations to the whole HPD Team!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting that 3 grading reports (AGS, GIA, and GCAL) are available for each diamond for more transparency.

Catching up and finding the 3 reports very interesting.

I've noticed the GIA grading takes precedence over the other 2 in regards to advertising color & clarity on HPD's site. Also, it appears price is based on GIA grades as well.

Here, it appears AGS was "generous" on color, where GIA was a little more "generous" on clarity. I almost hate to use the term "generous" as it implies something dirty happened. We know that isn't the case and that the labs have a degree of certainty which these grades fall within.

I am curious the thought process behind the decision to use GIA. On this stone, I would have thought maybe F VS1 was the choice according to certification. However, the in-person evaluation may dictate otherwise.

My apologies if covered elsewhere. I've been gone too long & trying to catch up. At any rate I am glad to see Wink recovering from this whirlwind.

CaptureHPD.PNG

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sledge

This one is interesting as well. I recommended it the other night. GIA was most generous at E-VS1, while GCAL was most strict at F-VS2, and AGS coming in at E-VS2.

Screenshot_20210407-113106_Chrome.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results