shape
carat
color
clarity

CBI 2.02 ct k vs2 in a Stuller 10K gold setting

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @uyalison!

I am strongly considering this setting. Which version is it? The light, the heavy, the comfort fit? I am struggling to choose between them... I like the light version I think because it's more delicate but I want something sturdy so if this is the heavy version then that's better... It looks lovely.

How top heavy do you find it?

Thank you! And I have no regrets for reviving a slightly old thread so that others can appreciate your beautiful ring.

uyalison

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi, @Lykame,

Thank you for the compliment.

It is this one:
https://www.stuller.com/products/bu...pId=199847&recommendationSource=SiteSearchRAC

It is very comfortable. It is not top heavy with a 2 ct diamond. It is not a heavy ring, it feels lighter than my platinum 2mm wedding band. That is probably because it is 10K, not platinum. But it feels sturdy. I think the same ring in platinum, will probably have more weight.

As this was meant to be a temp setting, I asked Melissa (HPD) for the most affordable yet sturdy setting. This is one of the two options that she suggested.

The prong are delicate claws. I think by default it doesn't come like that, Melissa requested for me, or HPD modified it. I am not sure. But I like it.

It is a pretty basic simple solitaire, the diamond is definitely the star. I have no regret, it exceeded my expectation. I didn't want a fancy setting with little diamonds on the shank, or a halo because I am afraid the little diamonds will come off. I didn't want mil-grain as I am afraid they will wear out over time. I just wanted some thing carefree, allow me wearing it without worrying.

This probably won't be my perm setting, as I want something in platinum for durability, and I might upgrade the diamond. But I do enjoy both the diamond and the setting , and in no hurry of replacing them.

Let me know what you decide on!

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, @Lykame,

Thank you for the compliment.

It is this one:
https://www.stuller.com/products/bu...pId=199847&recommendationSource=SiteSearchRAC

It is very comfortable. It is not top heavy with a 2 ct diamond. It is not a heavy ring, it feels lighter than my platinum 2mm wedding band. That is probably because it is 10K, not platinum. But it feels sturdy. I think the same ring in platinum, will probably have more weight.

As this was meant to be a temp setting, I asked Melissa (HPD) for the most affordable yet sturdy setting. This is one of the two options that she suggested.

The prong are delicate claws. I think by default it doesn't come like that, Melissa requested for me, or HPD modified it. I am not sure. But I like it.

It is a pretty basic simple solitaire, the diamond is definitely the star. I have no regret, it exceeded my expectation. I didn't want a fancy setting with little diamonds on the shank, or a halo because I am afraid the little diamonds will come off. I didn't want mil-grain as I am afraid they will wear out over time. I just wanted some thing carefree, allow me wearing it without worrying.

This probably won't be my perm setting, as I want something in platinum for durability, and I might upgrade the diamond. But I do enjoy both the diamond and the setting , and in no hurry of replacing them.

Let me know what you decide on!

Thanks so much for this response! It is SO HELPFUL. I think it is a lovely setting, it looks very hard wearing and I like that. Thank you for sharing which one it is, the Stuller site is quite complicated (from my phone anyway). There's this one with the 2mm band, there is one with a 2.5mm and one with a 2.75mm. This one looks plenty substantial. The only thing I wish for is that the prongs were a tad straighter but actually this is beautiful as is - I would be happy with that too.

Thanks so much! Great ring! And great diamond! :D I know initially you were somewhat bothered by the K? How do you feel about it now?

Best wishes,
Lydia.

uyalison

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi, Lydia @Lykame,

now I feel that diamond in color K is a hidden gem. lots of people are "scared" of it, so was I. I can see still see the faint yellow in my k color diamond. I am grateful that my eyes are still good. This is my thinking now: 1) given the exact same super ideal cut cut, a diamond in K in will have the same light performance as a diamond in D, also assuming same clarity and size

2) Color k - faint yellow itself is just a color, it is neutral, neither good or bad. It is like you wouldn't say blue is better than green. some one might prefer blue over green. It is just personal preference. For me actual, I prefer off-white than stark white for wall color. Champagne than white for bed sheets.

3) However I will be honest, given all the other 3 Cs being equal, I think color D is still the best. I still think that. I cannot really explain why D is better. I cannot justify why less color is better, unless we are in less color is better competition. I think my brain is just well washed by the diamond marketing industry. Also maybe it is because D cost more, we humans think if something cost more, it must mean it is better. Or is because D is more pure?

Personally K is perfect for me , the color, the price point. I am just not willing to pay the price premium for "the best".

I often ask myself, would I pay more money for white paint over an off white paint, paints that are just a few shade apart, if it is the same brand, some line. Maybe it is not a fair analogy to diamond color.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, Lydia @Lykame,

now I feel that diamond in color K is a hidden gem. lots of people are "scared" of it, so was I. I can see still see the faint yellow in my k color diamond. I am grateful that my eyes are still good. This is my thinking now: 1) given the exact same super ideal cut cut, a diamond in K in will have the same light performance as a diamond in D, also assuming same clarity and size

2) Color k - faint yellow itself is just a color, it is neutral, neither good or bad. It is like you wouldn't say blue is better than green. some one might prefer blue over green. It is just personal preference. For me actual, I prefer off-white than stark white for wall color. Champagne than white for bed sheets.

3) However I will be honest, given all the other 3 Cs being equal, I think color D is still the best. I still think that. I cannot really explain why D is better. I cannot justify why less color is better, unless we are in less color is better competition. I think my brain is just well washed by the diamond marketing industry. Also maybe it is because D cost more, we humans think if something cost more, it must mean it is better. Or is because D is more pure?

Personally K is perfect for me , the color, the price point. I am just not willing to pay the price premium for "the best".

I often ask myself, would I pay more money for white paint over an off white paint, paints that are just a few shade apart, if it is the same brand, some line. Maybe it is not a fair analogy to diamond color.

Thank you for such a comprehensive answer. :kiss2:

You're totally right, so long as the rough diamond is of appropriate quality a super ideal cut diamond is going to have awesome light performance regardless of whether it's a D or something much lower coloured.

It's an interesting question, where this idea of 'D' being the best comes from. I'm sure some of it is cultural and some of it is marketing. And yes D is the 'purest' and therefore I think with clever marketing it has become a thing representative of the way someone feels about someone else.

I live in England, and most of the diamonds in shops are DEF. GHI are also around but you can almost guarantee that the higher end shops won't go there. There is almost 'scorn' at the idea of a J or K or lower coloured diamond. The very best shop near me, that at least manages to have the idea of 'GIA triple excellent' as a thing, doesn't stock anything less than H. People don't want to buy them. Personally I think it's an ignorant attitude because as much as a shop will sell a D, it'll also be an EGL certificate or some rubbish like that (and therefore probably an H, and I'm probably not exaggerating), I1 clarity and 'very good cut' as if that's a good thing. It makes me feel so angry because the price will be against the D. :angryfire:

I can tell from reading here that the attitude in America is somewhat different, which I think really highlights a cultural difference. But reading so many people being delighted with their J/K etc diamonds I think has really helped me, and I definitely have a different opinion and comfort zone now compared to what I used to have.

I personally think my sweetest spot for a colourless diamond is F. I don't particularly think the extra money to go to E or D is worth it. I am about to go a completely different route but I'll do a separate post all about that at some point in the next couple of months.

Your stone has a character that a lot of other stones don't have. I don't think that's a bad thing, it's just different, and only you can decide if you're happy with it. Maybe in a few years you'll feel justified in spending a bit more to do a jump to a J or so. But I guess my question to you is at what colour would you be happy? If everything other than a D would make you feel the same, then there's probably no point apart from if you go very down in size and get a D in a much smaller super ideal cut diamond. If however a J or I would make you feel better, then there might be a point where that's worth it to you.

To use your paint analogy - it may be that the different coloured paints are a bit more expensive for the one you want - would you pay that extra for that paint you want? You probably would up to a certain point. It's just something to think about. There's always going to have to be compromise unless your funds are unlimited, and it seems like all the other aspects of your diamond are fine in your eyes. Where would you compromise to go up in colour? Or you would spend more money. :)

Best wishes,
Lydia.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ED2CDE6F-239F-4F18-A70F-662E02C27F09.jpeg 47253092-1899-45DC-90C7-416938C21C99.jpeg Just an idea for others who are in the same boat. I am attached to my original diamond platinum engagement ring, had worn it for 10+ years. Hpd was able to remove the head and turn it into a band. I am wearing it as a wedding band.

Super SMART! Great new combo. :appl:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very beautiful set and gorgeous diamond. I hope the color grows on you. I like the solitaire setting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results