shape
carat
color
clarity

Cause of damage to a stone advice from Setters and Cutters

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
I received my custom made ring from Van Craeynest and when I opened the package I can see one of the facets on my Demantoid garnet looks not quite right so I louped it. I discovered badly chipped area near one of the prongs, with another tiny chip near another. I am wondering if the damage can be caused by shipping, which the seller is saying or it's done during setting, or at another time?

Any professional advice is most appreciated, or if you can recommend a professional where I can verify the issue.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Re: Cause of damage to a stone advice from Setters and Cutte

Photos of the damaged stone.

Dem garnet butchered.jpg

Dem garnet butchered 2.jpg

IMG_0102 (1024x768).jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

Here's the packaging, the small envelope was in a letter sized envelope with the receipt.

001 (960x1280).jpg

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock

Not expert, but looks like damage by the setter during the polishing of the prongs?

Anyway, not something you should be concern about, just return the ring to VC and let them sought it out with their shipping and insurance company.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

Stone-cold11 said:
Not expert, but looks like damage by the setter during the polishing of the prongs?

Anyway, not something you should be concern about, just return the ring to VC and let them sought it out with their shipping and insurance company.

They say they didn't do the damage, and doesn't seem to want to take responsibility for it.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

Lovinggems said:
Stone-cold11 said:

They say they didn't do the damage, and doesn't seem to want to take responsibility for it.

It looks like it was damaged when setting.
Do you have any evidence it was not damaged before they set it?
I would recommend hiring an independent appraiser to document the damage and get a professional in person opinion on what caused it.
https://www.pricescope.com/appraisers
Make sure your selected appraiser is up to speed on gemstones.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

Karl_K said:
Lovinggems said:
Stone-cold11 said:

It looks like it was damaged when setting.
Do you have any evidence it was not damaged before they set it?
I would recommend hiring an independent appraiser to document the damage and get a professional in person opinion on what caused it.
https://www.pricescope.com/appraisers
Make sure your selected appraiser is up to speed on gemstones.

Thank you Karl. I have several threads in the coloured stone forum showing my demantoid garnet, and close up photos of the stone. Their sales manager acknowledged in an email on 26 September 2010 (Australian time) that when she received it the stone wasn't damaged upon arrival. I'd imagined they would emailed me in the first instance to cover themselves if my stone was not in good condition upon receipt. The stone was never set before.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock

Lovinggems said:
Stone-cold11 said:

Do you have profile and faceup shots before it was sent to VC?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

An original photo without the abrasions on the crown facet junctions would prove the damage happened during setting of the stone. It certainly now looks like damage happened in setting if those marks were not there before.

Regardless, the stone will lose very little weight to fix the damage and it won't hurt the appearance. Rather than trying to set blame, why not ask them to simply handle getting the faceting fixed and to reset it carefully. They might agree to do it rather than battle over something that is similar to crying over spilt milk. It can use a bit of a touch up and it is not going to be difficult, costly or dangerous for them to assist you.

If they won't do it, then go to another store and ask them for assistance. It is not a major problem, but of course, a different store will have to charge for the process and maybe the first place will absorb all or most of the cost.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

It's out of the question that damage of this sort could come from shipping.

I agree with David, the key is documenting prior condition. I also agree that repair is very likely a reasonable solution. If you're insured, it's very possible that this is a covered loss under your policy although it may not rise to the value of your deductible. That doesn't address who did what and when but it does make it someone else's problem.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sorry LG :sick: I'll leave advice to the pros and just say I hope you can get this resolved quickly.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Some folks use files when trimming the prongs after setting. This has no effect on a diamond, but garnet has brittle facet junctions and so, well you can see what happens. I recognize the effects of this from my early education at UCG, (the University of Chipped Gems). The upside is that that your stone has a high enough crown that a repolish would be easy and have little effect on the look of the stone. You're going to have to have it popped out of there and redone...I'd probably avoid having the same person who set it do the removal and reset.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Michael_E said:
I'd probably avoid having the same person who set it do the removal and reset.

Absolutely.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

Michael_E said:
Some folks use files when trimming the prongs after setting. This has no effect on a diamond, but garnet has brittle facet junctions and so, well you can see what happens. I recognize the effects of this from my early education at UCG, (the University of Chipped Gems). The upside is that that your stone has a high enough crown that a repolish would be easy and have little effect on the look of the stone. You're going to have to have it popped out of there and redone...I'd probably avoid having the same person who set it do the removal and reset.

Thank you Michael_E, they refer to the polishing fibre being removed aggressively by someone thus the stone was damage, and that they didn't remove those fibres. Do they expect me to leave little bits of fibres on the prongs when wearing it? Anyway the fibres weren't there when I receive the stone, the whole thing sounds very suss and irresponsible.

Here's my thread about the damage.
https://www.pricescope.com/forum/post2722036.html//

Here's their 'macro' photo, telling me the stone was undamaged, even from the low resolution I can see one of the junction is abraded and the tip of a facet is chipped.

Thank you to the other appraisers for their assessment, if I am to repair it, I will seek out another cutter to work on my garnet, in question here is ethics and honesty from a highly regarding vendor.

IP025.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

Here's a photo showing undamaged facets, it was taken in full highlight so the colour is different. The stone has an AGL origin report and it doesn't mention there's damage.

Dem same no chips.jpg

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

Van Craeynest say I 'may' send the ring back to them for repolishing and they will pay for shipping. Still denying they damaged the garnet.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock

Yap, I can see the chip in the facet junction too. So much for quality control. If it is really quality control why are the fibers not remove?

Sounds like they want to push the blame to you given that you are all the way over the other side of the globe. This is just too lame.

Shame on Van Craeynest.

missydebby

Brilliant_Rock

Shame indeed. Something comes to mind that DreamerD wisely says: mistakes happen, but the true test of a good vendor is how they solve them. Seriously, if I ever had a mind to get a Van Craeynest, I wouldn't now. Just on principle. How dare they? A. There is no excuse for the packaging. B. How dare they proclaim that they left the fibres in for safety... I mean, what kind of vendor let' a piece be sent out with hairs hanging off of it, and then blames you essentially for hurting the stone while making it ready to wear. C. Ahhh... there's just too many. I am heartsick that you are going through this. And I am mad as hell that they dare to bullsh-t you in such a way. I am visualizing their collective butts being kicked.

sunseeker101

Shiny_Rock

LG, I would talk to Larry directly about this -- I don't believe he'd ever come out with the clap-trap you're getting about what is clearly a directly damaged stone. There has been an issue with a Sarah (via e-mail) communicating ineffectively between customers and Larry in the past (see Kiwi725's posts about her ruby halo ring) -- the 'may' wording sounds like the Sarah in question, anyway. I'd call Larry and tell him what you've been told, and ask for a shipping number to send the ring back. Best of luck!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

Aeolianarpa said:
LG, I would talk to Larry directly about this -- I don't believe he'd ever come out with the clap-trap you're getting about what is clearly a directly damaged stone. There has been an issue with a Sarah (via e-mail) communicating ineffectively between customers and Larry in the past (see Kiwi725's posts about her ruby halo ring) -- the 'may' wording sounds like the Sarah in question, anyway. I'd call Larry and tell him what you've been told, and ask for a shipping number to send the ring back. Best of luck!

Well I was told by Sara that Larry Van Craeynest passed the QA of the ring himself, I have asked for verification but so far no response.
I louped my ring again and all 4 facet junctions next to the prongs has small chips in addition to the gnashes posted, and a couple of surface scratches. I wouldn't just blame it on the sales manager, it seems there's problems from the quality of the setters, to sales to conducting businesses in an ethical manner.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results