shape
carat
color
clarity

Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

Is this stone too small for this setting?

IMG_3562.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

What are the measurements of the setting and the stone?

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock

Its an LOGR that was for 8mm stones, and the seller said the stone is 8 mm.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Take it to a jeweler to gage the proper measurements if you don't have a mm gauge, but technically, it should fit if those are the proper measurements of the stone and the ring. Hopefully the stone is not super deep with a super high crown, but other than that complication, I don't see why it shouldn't fit.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Arcadian|1299886334|2869869 said:
Closeup with a friend :))

-A

Arcadian, I really like the photo with the orange and the minty color. They look nice together.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

thanks faegrace and TL :bigsmile: Today I walked back and forth through the darkest part of the hallway in our house. LOL I have a few stones that can pass that test, and I'm glad to see that this one does.

-A

K9

Brilliant_Rock

Atwater - I'm truly jealous over that tourmaline! I tried to get it and missed it. :(sad

Can't wait to see real life pictures. If you ever want anyone to take it off your hands.... . :cheeky:

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock

Arcadian I love that spess. May I ask whom the seller was?

faegrace

Shiny_Rock

A ~

I'd love to know as well, if you'd like to share. I have to try that hallway trick sometime! LOL

~ faegrace

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock

tourmaline_lover|1299891895|2869907 said:
Take it to a jeweler to gage the proper measurements if you don't have a mm gauge, but technically, it should fit if those are the proper measurements of the stone and the ring. Hopefully the stone is not super deep with a super high crown, but other than that complication, I don't see why it shouldn't fit.

According to the jeweler, the stone is 8.25 x 8.35 and the setting is 9 x 9. So it appears LOGR made a mistake.

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock

..Lots of fab gemmies here... @Arcadian, I envy your spess. It's very lively & it's a cushion! Beautiful ;))
Anyway, yesterday I went to my local jeweler asking him if he has any nice dark purple amethyst (until now I haven't found the right amythyst for me grrr) Guess what? I ended up purchasing another personal favorite gem. A 7.3 ct cushion pakistan peridot hehe. This time I won't have it recut to keep its size & rich green color. No photos yet but will post some this week.

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock

While I was taking pictures of the blue-green tourmaline from Gene, I took some of the other baby I have (also from Gene). It is a 2.58ct Umbalite.

Here is the vendor picture:

Gene's picture captures it beauty in shade when the ambient is bright. My picture is far worse. Here it is on my hand:

Gene_Umbalite.png

IMG_2047a.JPG

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock

A few more pictures

IMG_2045a.JPG

IMG_2046a.JPG

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock

Where I saw rich color and beautiful cutting, the picture shows dark facets. :nono:

IMG_2044a.JPG

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Very lovely stone!!! No doubt its camera reflection. I get it a lot so don't be too disappointed plus I absolutely refuse to do the camera paper whole thing for quick snaps. Its because I'm lazy :tongue: So I've had to be quite a contortionist to take some pictures :lol:

-A

faegrace

Shiny_Rock

Atwater ~

Your umbalite is breathtaking! As if I needed any confirmation that is the next gem on my list.... Thank you so much for sharing.

~ faegrace

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock

Arcadian|1300097882|2871248 said:
Very lovely stone!!! No doubt its camera reflection. I get it a lot so don't be too disappointed plus I absolutely refuse to do the camera paper whole thing for quick snaps. Its because I'm lazy :tongue: So I've had to be quite a contortionist to take some pictures :lol:

-A

I know what you mean. I have a beautiful mint garnet, but I just cannot get it right with my camera. The garnet is so bright and pretty, but the camera cannot get the color or the brightness right; it often shows dark facets. Until I get a better camera or hone my skills, I won't give it another try.

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock

faegrace|1300116155|2871368 said:
Atwater ~

Your umbalite is breathtaking! As if I needed any confirmation that is the next gem on my list.... Thank you so much for sharing.

~ faegrace

faegrace: thank you for your compliment. A beautiful umbalite is definitely a must-have to me. A word of caution, red garnets are generally more picky of the ambient light. My umbalite has more color shift under those energy-saving lights than my mint garnet.

faegrace

Shiny_Rock

Atwater ~

Thank you for the heads-up. :) There's an umbalite @ Gemfix I've been drooling over forever but it is expensive and I'd have to pay sales tax too. ;( So, the search continues. I may have to have one cut.

Thanks again for the inspiration!

~ faegrace

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock

You know what I want? A big chunk of Mahenge rough so I can send it to Doug Menadue at Bespoke.

faegrace

Shiny_Rock

Kitty ~

I love Doug's site but yikes on the prices....! The spess I was looking at was a Fanta just over 2 carats, and even with a mailing list discount it was over $300 a carat. Is it better when you send rough for him to cut?

~ faegrace

pixies

Shiny_Rock

I'm finally setting my Rhodolite from Gene. It will be set in a milgrained bezel bracelet (like the single DBTY bracelet that BGD does). I've wanted a bezel bracelet for a while so I'm stoked! I'm shipping my stone to Daniel M today.

I know most people are anti-bezels for Rhodolites but the stone isn't dark, and the bracelet will be in silver so it won't be too costly if it doesn't sing to me once set. Fingers crossed!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Arjunajane has a bezeled umbalite from Gene, in the same cushion shape (not concave cut though). James Meyer did the work, and it's gorgeous. As long as the garnet isn't too dark, or closes up in some lighting, it should be okay to bezel.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock

1.63ct Spinel from Tan coming my way! MMMMmmm Good!

$(KGrHqV,!jUE1JBDr)kcBNdbSF7P(g~~0_1.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

davi_el_mejor|1300305101|2873402 said:

He kept listing that stone over and over and over again, and I was shocked that no one bought it. It was a good price. Congrats!!

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock

tourmaline_lover|1300305318|2873407 said:
davi_el_mejor|1300305101|2873402 said:

He kept listing that stone over and over and over again, and I was shocked that no one bought it. It was a good price. Congrats!!

Thanks I was surprised you didn't snatch it up! LOL Hopefully I didn't snag it from you in the last seconds, I'd feel horrible! But just know it's going to a loving home :D

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

i've been bad...

i got the 1.99 mahenge spinel (not at that price, whew! it's still listed as available for some reason) and the 5.23 chrysoberyl already, and they look fantastic! the chrysoberyl really glows in person, and i was shocked because the pics look a lot more brown. Good thing i bought it based on the video!

eta: video link in case anyone wants to see the color difference between pic and vid: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...1&si=GAdceeZifBzQwHj8tkKRmuTaIZk%3D&viewitem=

The pear should be coming soon. :)

1.99 pink spinel.jpg

5.23 chrysoberyl yellow.jpg

2.65 pink spinel.jpg

empress

Shiny_Rock

A little Natalie Portman - a little Angelina Jolie.

DSC00748.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

ForteKitty|1300313178|2873506 said:
i've been bad...

i got the 1.99 mahenge spinel (not at that price, whew! it's still listed as available for some reason) and the 5.23 chrysoberyl already, and they look fantastic! the chrysoberyl really glows in person, and i was shocked because the pics look a lot more brown. Good thing i bought it based on the video!

eta: video link in case anyone wants to see the color difference between pic and vid: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...1&si=GAdceeZifBzQwHj8tkKRmuTaIZk%3D&viewitem=

The pear should be coming soon. :)

Lucky you, the video DID show a more brown chrysoberyl, and I decided not to get it because of that. Take pics!!

erinl

Brilliant_Rock

Fortekitty-- I had my eye on that 1.99 mahenge. I'd love to see a real like picture-- I'm new to buying gems on ebay! congrats on all your new color!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results