carat
color
clarity

Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Catch all thread - talk or better yet show us

Brad shipped my star sapphire thish week, yay.
So now I have to wait. BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

D&T, I've been drooling over that stone forever and wondering why nobody snatched it up yet. I'm glad it's yours!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium

D&T I love the color of that stone! It will look amazing in a 3 stone ring!

Andelain, your tanzanite collection is beautiful-- looking forward to your tourmalines :wavey:

MTG, I'm really looking forward to seeing your star sapphire! I don't recall if I commented in your thread; it's a gorgeous stone :love: I visited that site a lot to look at that sapphire and wanted to get it too but there was always something else going on. I'm happy that you got it (and a teensy bit jealous, but mostly happy :)) .

Kismet

Ideal_Rock

So I have a few new things coming. This antique setting but I thought it would look much nicer with this amethyst instead. kiz-amethyst1.jpg

The emerald and pink topaz are both coming from Dana. He's also sending along some of his Vietnamese aquas to see if I like any of them.

828-11.1L.jpg

20822.jpg

22648.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks babynurse! After all this hype, it'll be anticlimatic if I end up sending it back..

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

My star is here! I'm at work but will post pics tonight if I can!
It is every bit as pretty as the photo though if not better!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That's wonderful news :appl: :appl: :appl:

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock

I picked up my finished goshenite pendant this week. It is mounted in a slightly fancy 14k white gold Stuller setting. My jeweler added the tiny double prongs. I purchased the 11mm stone from Dan Stair (cut by Cindi) and there are pictures of the stone alone on page 65 of this thread.

goshenite0715.jpg

goshenitea0736.jpg

goshenite0743.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

Very pretty FlyGirl!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock

packrat said:
Very pretty FlyGirl!
Thank you, packy. It is for when I want a clear round pendant with more size than my diamond pendant. I'm never going to have a diamond this big! :lol:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Love it FlyGirl!

And speaking of big round clear stones for when you want to wear something thats not a diamond....

Colorless tourmaline that belonged to BEG then Loriken and now me...from Barry, 8.5mm, 2.5cts. Martini setting from Daniel M.

IMG_9988 freke.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock

FrekeChild said:
Love it FlyGirl!

And speaking of big round clear stones for when you want to wear something thats not a diamond....

Colorless tourmaline that belonged to BEG then Loriken and now me...from Barry, 8.5mm, 2.5cts. Martini setting from Daniel M.
Thanks, Freke. That tourmaline looks great. I hope its journeys are done, and you get lots of enjoyment out of that very pretty pendant. :appl:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Your goshenite is really lovely Flygirl--I keep coming back to look at it. I have to admit I don't know that much about it other than it's really beautiful! Can you tell us more?

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock

D&T said:
Thank you Taylorbug! its a bit peachy, but I think it will work, as I wanted something on the rustic/pinky color. I've missed so much, I've got to back quite a few pages though :twirl:

I can't wait to see you pictures of that stone, I have always been a fan :love: .

Well I told my self no more gemstones until I set some of the stones I have. The first on the list is the Richard Homer spessartite I have had sitting loose for way to long. I just put down a deposit for Julia Kay Taylor to work on a setting in January. I know it is a long wait, but it will give me something to look forward to. I figure it has been sitting in a box for well over a year, it can wait a few more months.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yay Ltl! I can't wait to see that spess set!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium

FlyGirl, your goshenite beryl looks gorgeous! I love the setting and the stone is just beautiful. I had eyed that stone on Dan Stair's website a lot for the very same purpose ;)) Enjoy!

Freke, I love your pendant, as well! Boy does that colorless tourmaline sparkle! And the setting looks amazing.

I just got a beautiful zircon that I'd like set in a pendant but I'm terrified that it will be damaged while being set. I guess that's the risk you have to take. Are you very happy with Daniel M's work? It seems like pretty much everyone is-- the only bad experience I can think of is the gal (porridge?) who had her Bespoke blue topaz set in a ring and there were scratches around the prongs. But it was a topaz and these things happen. Just the same, I'm currious about your feedback. Thanks in advance :wavey:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

I couldn't be happier with Daniel M honestly. I've been going to them like crazy for lots of projects lately, and I think I'm driving poor Caren crazy.... :tongue:

I think this covers just about everything I've had made...

Peridot asscher necklace in silver:

file.jpg

IMG_0011 freke.jpg

IMG_9973 freke.jpg

IMG_9358 freke.jpg

IMG_9378 freke.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yummy pieces Freke! I'm so glad you love Daniel since I'm sending him my star sapphire to set!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

Agreed on Daniel M. Freke got me hooked on them. My 3 very soft stones (tanzanites and an opal) were set beautifully into a silver pendant, and I'm going back to them for 3 more projects right now: a spinel ring, a sapphire ring, and another 3-stone pendant. I can't wait for my last stone to arrive from Uli so I can finally send them out to Dan!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

I have noticed that their custom etsy turnover time has gotten quite a bit slower than it used to be (a couple days is now a couple weeks--still not bad!)....which is great for them and terrible for me because I have NO patience! :tongue:

No, but really, I'm thrilled that Clairitek found Daniel M for her BM necklaces, because I have absolutely no complaints with their work. Well, besides my lack of unlimited funds!

I'm glad you guys love them too!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

I think I need to have a bezel band like yours Freke, but yellow stones. The 3 projects I have stones for I've been hemming and hawing between DM and Sally b/c they both work w/silver..maybe I'll have to do some projects w/DM and some w/Sally..argh.

Freke, they sourced the sapphs for you right?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Yup, they did! And right now I have cobalt blue nail polish on to match them...

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

:appl:

I used to paint my nails yellow all the time and my dad always told me I looked like I had a disease. :???:

Yes, I do believe I'll have to talk to them about a copy cat yellow version!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock

I've been leaving hints in various threads of different projects I've been working on, and I figure it's finally time to put them all in one place. In the picture below, the stone I actually have is on the left of each column, and the intended setting is on the right. The settings obviously have different stones in them because I pulled the pics from PS and Etsy.

Here are the details, starting at the top left:
1) Roger Dery sphene, to be set by Daniel M in a silver pendant like Freke's spinel, but it will be E/W instead of N/S.
2) Barry Bridgestock rhodolite, to be set by a local jeweler in a rose gold paisley-like setting from jewelry*zone on ebay.
3) Weblorn blue/purple color shift spinel, to be set by Daniel M in a silver u-prong ring.
4) Three-stone pendant: blue tourmaline, magenta sapphire, and seafoam/green tourmaline, to be set by Daniel M in a silver pendant similar to the JKT pendant at right.
5) Uli chrysoprase, to be set by Kyle Anne metals in a silver twist-band bezel ring like my moonstone ring at right.
6) Uli green Songea sapphire, to be set by Daniel M in a simple bezel ring, silver band and rose gold bezel. This takes some imagination, as I tried to upload crasru's Jill Anish/Uli ametrine ring, but for some reason Bridal Canvas wouldn't let me, so I had to pick a random bezel ring and couldn't find any trillions.

BridalCanvasDotCom_7542.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That's a lot of stuff going on! I'm sure it'll all look fabulous though.

Once I get my star sapphire back, if I like his work, I think I'll send dan my opposed bar tourmaline and 4mm round ethiopian opal to set together into a vertical pendant.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Kismet said:
So I have a few new things coming. This antique setting but I thought it would look much nicer with this amethyst instead. kiz-amethyst1.jpg

The emerald and pink topaz are both coming from Dana. He's also sending along some of his Vietnamese aquas to see if I like any of them.

oooo you got the Emerald :love:

-A

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock

My tsavorite from Swala arrived today - as promised by Eric, it is a pure grass green and very bright & glowy, the colour is really pretty.
Actually, compared to other tsavs I've seen IRL the colour is miles ahead, its also very clean.

It is a 2.27ct mixed cushion - I know intellectually it would be classed as a very good 'native' cut,
but I'm not 110% in love with the cutting - however I do recognize this is because I am spoiled and just really prefer precision cuts. ;-)
I guess that is the curse of ordering from folks like JW :sick:

I should be able to post some pics tomorrow, I'd like to get some feedback on the cut and whether to do anything about it...
(Admittedly the colour is awesome so I guess this may be my first 'choose' stone - as in, choosing colour over cutting ::) )

as a reminder, here's the Swala pic:

2.27ct swala tsav aj.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I thought Eric used a precision cutter from Germany. Admitedly, I've noticed that he seems to like to cut the same facet pattern over and over again (portuguese cutting and cushions). I don't see a window, but perhaps his quality of cutting isn't the same caliber as someone like Jeff White. Not all precision faceters are of equal talent of course.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AJJ,
What is wrong with the cut of the tsavorite? Eric told me that he uses a German trained precision cutter to facet his higher quality rough, so not all are “native” cut.

TL,
I think a Portuguese cut on something with high RI like spinels and garnets are to better bring out the sparkle?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You're right Chrono, just love all those tiny Portuguese facets all on spinels and garnets.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results