shape
carat
color
clarity

Cat having trouble recovering from Anesthesia - Ever hear of this?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Oh, my heart is breaking!
emunlove.gif
Poor little guy!
face24.gif
Please keep us posted...We are all pulling for him.
12.gif

Freddy & Elmo send positive ions.
1.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Treysar,
Any news about Toby?? I hope he''s getting better, poor Kitty!
1.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Oh Treysar, I''m sorry, but I hope he is feeling a bit better now...

Sadly, this same thing just happened to my little baby...I brought him to the vet on Friday because he had stopped eating, and the vet diagnosed him with a sore mouth. But then I also noticed that he wasn''t having any bowel movements either! So I finally took him to the vet today and he too had to have an enema. But he didn''t need to be put under for it. Which is surprising because my baby is the patient from hell
2.gif
. I just brought him home, and he seems a bit happier, but he is still looking at me like I''m the bad person here.

But hopefully for both kitties, this was the best thing to do. I find after a couple days and lots and lots of treats, my baby forgets all about the vet visit
2.gif
. Let''s hope it''s the same this time and we don''t need to go through this procedure again (both of our poor babies).

Please let us know he''s doing...He''s in my prayers...

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Treysar,

I am a long-time lurker here on PS, but felt the need to reply to you - I am a veterinarian in a cats-only hospital. I know you are very concerned about your little guy, and rightly so. That being said, obviously I don''t know your kitty, nor the results of any of his testing or how badly he was constipated. It is quite common for cats to be anesthetized for a procedure like this. However, I don''t know what kind of medication he was given, what dose, any IV fluids administered at the time of the procedure to support his circulation and blood pressure etc (although - was the "cut" where his "bandages" were removed on a front leg? If so, he probably did get IV fluids).

Please try to be understanding of the doctors as well - you are right to ask questions and seek the best care for your cats, but sometimes there just isn''t an obvious cause / answer / solution when something like this happens - I know - I''ve been there - and there is nothing more frustrating than not being able to tell you the answer. Medicine is not an exact science, and we don''t know everything there is to know about animals'' or people''s bodies. I''m sure your doctors will do everything they can, but if you feel uncomfortable with the quality of care he received, then listen to your instincts, and by all means find another vet ASAP - don''t risk your cat''s health out of some sense of loyalty to the doctor.

Hepatic Lipidosis - a.k.a. "fatty liver" is a very serious condition - but it takes time to develop. If he continues to not eat, then yes this may be a possibility - but right now is too soon for that to be the actual cause of his depression. Some cats do take a while to bounce back - however if a cat is healthy, has received the appropriate gas anesthesia (not injectable anesthesia) he should recover quickly. Yes, pain medications and sedatives (if they were given) can take a few to many hours to be metabolized, but this many days later should not be the cause of his anorexia, etc.

I wish you the best of luck, and I do hope your kitty bounces back quickly. I''ll be thinking of you!

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
Toby still hasn''t eaten - it has been over a week now. He''s getting thin, and he has develped an upper repsiratory infection. Every time I syringe feed him, he vomits. I have been giving him pedialite and baby food via syringe, but now with the cold, he can''t breathe when I push the food in, and he starts foaming and then vomiting. I am totally heartbroken, watching my baby starve to death here.

Going back to the vet again for the 5th time. I''ll let you guys knowwhat happend.

Also, They put him on a medicine that is supposed to make him hungry, but so far there has been no luck with that.

Plesae keep your fingers crossed.

My fiance and I decided that my wedding band is going to be a furry one! We''re using the money to pay for the cat, and we will get a fancy wedding band for some anniverary some day. It''s worth every penny to bring my kitty back up to his 12 carat, F, IF self!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trey,
I''m sorry that Toby is still unwell. It''s so scary to read what he''s going through and I hope that he''ll pull through this week. I too spent a llittle fortune on my cat when she suddenly got sick about 7 years ago and had to go to the kitty ER. She stayed there for a week and it was money well spent to me. I cried every day that she wasn''t home and was worried sick at the thought of losing her forever. Mt thoughts are with you and Toby.
emrose.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
I'm SO sorry.
Bless your heart for spending the $ to care for him. I know how expensive it is. 2 days in the hospital with tests for my Mel was over $2000. A wedding band can't give you kitty kisses and cuddle with you!

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks guys! :) Here''s a pic I just took of Toby - he''s wrapped in a Spiderman blanket (Named after Toby Maguire!)

kitty 010.jpg

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
He''s hating all the syringe feeding, but he''ll still sleep with me at night.

kitty 005.jpg

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
awww. best wishes for Toby. He''s adorable. I feel awful for both you and him!
7.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Poor Toby!! I hope he gets better soon. I know how it is to pay sooo much money on a pet, I had a bichon like 17 years ago that had Lupus. I will pray that he makes a quick recovery, my heart aches for you Trey.
12.gif

finerthings

Brilliant_Rock
Oh no, I''m so sorry to hear that Toby is no better. It really sounds like he needs to be at a hospital that can care for him 24 hours a day with fluids and meds...the vomiting worries me a lot. Do you have an animal hospital within driving distance that is associated with a teaching veterinary university? They have the staff and the equipment that can handle Toby''s illness. They can run tests and get results within hours if needed. If there''s not such a facility in your area, is there an emergency vet hospital that operates with a large staff of doctors and operates 24 hours a day for emergency admissions and treatment? Toby sounds like he needs more care than just a 9 to 5 vet practice. I know first hand what you are going through, been there with my kitty, but the vomiting is very dangerous and he will dehydrate very quickly. I am so sorry, take him somewhere else if you can. Take care.
7.gif

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
thank you Finer things! :)

We are taking him every other day to the hospital to get fluids - he stopped vomiting today (Gave him his pill this morning in the pedialite, and also got hime to eat 1 syringe of food and another pedialite woth no vomiting.)

WE can''t afford to leave him there for a few nights at a time, and also, thereis only a tech at night, so I feel that he is less stressed with us. (The vet things that this has all happened becuase the cat is stressed out - thus the URI)

But on Friday we are bringing him in and if he is no better we are just going to go for the over night/big testing. CAn''t let the guy just sit there and starve in front of me, ya know? He is so sad
7.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
OHHHHH he is so sweet. Just so sweet. I''m sure he''ll be just fine...he''s just having a rough go of it..... Sending head bonks his (and your) way!!!
emcat.gif

fountainfairfax

Brilliant_Rock
Trey-

the "diamond" aka Toby is well worth every penny and every sacrifice...you''re in my thoughts and prayers. From one cat Mom to another, there is nothing as heartwrenching as what you are going through right now. Please remember to try to take care of yourself, don''t forget to eat & to sleep when you can. Just the fact that Toby stays with you & isn''t trying to hide is very good news. Your boy is a fighter!

If you need to "talk" you know so many people are here for you!

Jenn

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
so, what tests have they done thus far?

there are problems with syringe feeding which include getting fluid into the cat''s lungs. could be a contributor to the URI.

prednisone is often given for appetite but as a steroid, it has its own problems. my old 22-23 year old cat is on it along with other meds......but then we give him subcutaneous fluids to make sure his system is being washed out.

the stress of the death of toby''s cat companion two months ago could have been a trigger....

your instinct re toby being more restful with you is what i''ve found with my tom-tom cat: he''s such a stress junky that he does better at home with me than staying at the vets....unless, of course, like the time he was dying and had to be in for a week but even then i went everyday after work and spent 1-2 hours with him.

by the way, i was going to change tom-tom''s name to EUROPE because he has cost me several times what a trip would have...but i love him dearly and it was worth the thousands.......may thousands...i could have had many trips to europe...sigh. but i love the little furry creature!

peace, movie zombie

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Treysar,

I''m glad he is making improvement slowly.

And I agree, with some cats it is best to take care of them at home instead of leaving them at the vet whenever possible. My kitty is like that, one of the worst patients a vet can have!

Good luck and keep us updated with his progess!

We''re all praying for you and Toby...

cute330xigrl

Shiny_Rock
I really dont know how I missed ur other post. Weird. Sorry for the misinformation. I read way too fast. Was just feeling so nervous for you, cos this issue really hits home being that Patches was insanely sick. Aiya. Sorry Tracy and good luck!!!

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
Oh, no.
38.gif
Poor Toby. What a cutie he is, though.
1.gif
I am so sorry he is till struggling to recover. Hang in there--animals are amazing and he will come out of this. Your love and devotion are key. You are such a good mommy!
1.gif

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Oh Trey I''m so sorry about Toby. The poor thing.
I hope he is taking a turn for the better.
Those pictures are so sweet.
emhug.gif
emcat.gif
emhug2.gif

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
face11.gif
Poor little Toby. I''m so sorry that he''s still not doing any better. I don''t know what I''d do if it were my Maggie. I''d be so depressed............

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Treysar,
How is Toby doing today?? I hope he''s better, what did your vet say?? Fingers crossed for him!
12.gif

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
TOBY UPDATE:

his blood came back with high white blood cells, so they put him on 2 more medicines - both antibiotics. I started the meds tonight, and I hope to see improvement shortly. He still has not eaten usassisted, but either me or my fiance come home at lunch and feed him, so he''s gettingh at the very least 15 cc of baby food per day and over 20 ccs of pedialaite. His strength is good, but his cold is very very bad. His spirit is up!! Today he came in tothe kitchen as I was cooking and sat at my feet - for the psat week he hsa usally just sat in the bathroom, rarley peeking out to try to jump up on the couch ir bed - so i took this interest as agood sugn.

I''ll keep you posted- thanks for all the lovin!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the update Trey.

Hang in there Toby

yellowfan

Brilliant_Rock
Treysar-

Does Toby have or been tested for kidney/renal failure? Common in cats and treated with strict diet and home IVs.

Lori

Im wishing you the best, I love my pets dearly... (more than DH) shhhhh@!

treysar

Brilliant_Rock
GREAT NEWS! Today toby drank water unassisted!!! And he looked interested in fod - he did not eat, but he sniffed at it!! He started on antibiotics, and I think it''s working!!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Yellow- I''m sure they checked out the size of his kidneys to check...and if he was in renal failure, he would have a very greasy coat, his third eye would be showing and he would be drinking all the time and peeing all over the house. It happened to my Mel who was a stray and probably had diabetes. The vet put him on medication and I found him lifeless on the floor on my first wedding anniversary
7.gif

Sound like Toby just has a really bad infection...and the stress of his procedure didn''t help....
it sounds like he''s making great strides!!!! Yeah!!! You''ll have to take more pix of this fellow back in action :)

cute330xigrl

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/25/2005 8:58:53 AM
Author: treysar
GREAT NEWS! Today toby drank water unassisted!!! And he looked interested in fod - he did not eat, but he sniffed at it!! He started on antibiotics, and I think it''s working!!
Thank Goodness!
36.gif
That is great news. I bet Toby will be good as new by Sunday. Sniffing is a fantastic sign!!! I''ll continue to keep Toby in my thoughts.

PS
Post more pics of the cutie when he''s feelin more candid. Soo cute.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results