shape
carat
color
clarity

Cartier SA loved my stone from JA

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

alamb

Rough_Rock
I passed Cartier on Newbury Street(Boston) yesterday and decided to go in to look around. The sales associate was showing me different rings and commented on how beautiful my stone was and that you didn''t see stones like that very often and went on and on. It was so nice of him to do that considering he knew I hadn''t purchased it there. In any case, he showed me a 3 carat D, internally flawless stone for $235,000!!! It was no-doubt stunning in every way, but I truly couldn''t see a huge difference between it and mine. It had a different personality, but I didn''t clearly like it better than mine. I loved them both! I''m no diamond expert, but it was nice to see that mine didn''t pale in comparison!

jaz464

Ideal_Rock

I had a similar experience at Cartier. I went in there with my then-fiance to find a w-band for him. I was oohing and aahing over their gorgous big rocks. The SA told me that was not necessary becasue my husband had done very well in choosing my e-ring. He said my diamond was just as beautiful as any they had! I was shocked. After hearing some snotty Tiffany comments lately on here, I makes me kind of wonder. We did end up buying from them. Perhaps Tiffany should remember that you catch more bees with honey.

My diamond is a very unique setting so the SA knew immediatly that it was not a Cartier. And of course I chose the diamond, not my husband. But I smiled proudly and accepted the compliment.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Allison, how fun! Not only the compliment, but seeing that stone.
6.gif

I have yet to be in a high end store with mine. There aren''t any around here, and I''ve had no desire to travel the hour it would take to get to some. However, I''ll be in Chicago in June, and the hotel in quite close to Michigan Ave., so I booked an extra day to go browsing, and comparing.
9.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
How nice!!

The Cartier SA here also complimented me on my ring. When I told him I was looking for a higher colour, he insisted there was no need and said "oh, behave!"

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
What a nice experience!

But I''m a little freaked out... 235,000 for a D IF 3ct?!? That sounds crazy. I was in Graff and tried on a 3ct D IF which was, without doubt the most perfectly cut stunning, heart-wrenching stone I have ever seen. It was peerless. A work of art. The SA agreed it was an unusually special stone. And it was set in a band with pave intense pink diamonds and even THAT was only 110,000 (or so). Why on earth was Cartier''s stone TWICE as much? Weird.

I love Cartier design, but I find Graff has the most beautiful stones. And apparently, they''re a bargain too!

alamb

Rough_Rock
Jazmine and Harriet- It''s a nice surprise as I was expecting them to be snobby, but they weren''t at all. I will now prefer to browse around there than Tiffany''s who were very snobby to me until they realized I was in the market for a 3 carat. At one point, Tiffany''s actually asked me if my husband knew I was looking for a ring!! At one point, a different SA there said oh, no, I can''t show you that ring, it''s over 100,000. I was appalled and very familiar with there policy of going into another room with a security guard, but as I was dressed pretty casually that day, that option wasn''t even offered to me.

Ellen, it was really fun to look at that stone, it was just cool to see it in person. In any case, have a blast when you go to Chicago!

Independent Gal - I have no idea why the stone would be that much. It did have baguettes on the side, maybe they were D, IF as well? But still, for an extra 100K? Who knows!! I was just looking for fun, so I didn''t question the price, but they were very enjoyable and a refreshing change from snobby city!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2007 9:03:10 AM
Author: alamb
Jazmine and Harriet- It''s a nice surprise as I was expecting them to be snobby, but they weren''t at all. I will now prefer to browse around there than Tiffany''s who were very snobby to me until they realized I was in the market for a 3 carat. At one point, Tiffany''s actually asked me if my husband knew I was looking for a ring!! At one point, a different SA there said oh, no, I can''t show you that ring, it''s over 100,000. I was appalled and very familiar with there policy of going into another room with a security guard, but as I was dressed pretty casually that day, that option wasn''t even offered to me.

Ellen, it was really fun to look at that stone, it was just cool to see it in person. In any case, have a blast when you go to Chicago!
Wow. I wonder how many sales they''ve lost like that.
20.gif
Sorry you were treated poorly, there''s no exuse for that.

And yes, I plan to do lots of oogling!
9.gif

rfath

Shiny_Rock
Man, I wish they''d''ve been that nice to me when I went in their Newbury St. store. They were nice enough to tell me that I could play with the perfume
41.gif

Okay, I''ll admit that I''d just come from the lab and wasn''t dressed to impress them. It was actually fun to chase the salespeople across the floor to corner their junior one to hand over my husband''s watch that *needed* repair and restoration. They don''t see 1930''s Cartier watches often, apparently, from his reaction. That salesguy liked me a lot better after that (tried to buy the watch from me, too...).

1.gif

alamb

Rough_Rock
Rfath,
I will never understand why SA don''t get that you can''t judge someone''s wallet by their clothes. I also can''t tolerate snobby behavior. If I couldn''t afford anything in the store, I''d still want to be treated with respect.

Harriet - I''m sorry for what you went through at Tiffany''s. For what it''s worth, I think you did the right thing. Take care!

Allison

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Allison,
Thanks! I stand by what I did, though I got seriously flamed.
8.gif

Hope you find your dream ring!!

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Devil''s advocate here:

Negative expereinces make people overly cautious. I used to do sales when I was really young. (not jewlery back then) but what i noticed was there were usually serious shoppers and those who waifed about. Serious shoppers meant sale most of the time, and the waifers just sort of took twice as long as a serious shopper and asked for more but in the end their sales were far less and there was no guarantee all your work would pay off.

When you work on commission in a store of luxury, you think you are trained in seeing the "sales" and the "non-sales", and you are trying to maximize your time to spend on those you think will BUY and not take 1-2 hours of chat time when clearly you could be helping someone get what they need, leave and attend to at least 2-3 "serious" buyers. It''s a trade off. How much is being nice worth? How much of a risk is someone worth being nice to. SURE you could come in and spend 2 hours looking and askin, then buy $100K worth of gems, but the likelihood of that is less.

It has been in my expereince (and I am not an expert here) but from what I have seen, those who have a lot of money do NOT take hours to decide. They usually have certain criteria and fulfil those, and the rest is just a detail. Contrary to logic, those who have more to spend, ask less questions. Those who are on a tighter budget will analyze and ponder, because usually they want the absolute best that budgeted amount can buy. Usually they are used to bargain shopping and are very specific, because they want something but need to make it all work with the budget and tastes. Someone who deliberates a lot in sales worlds, usually is a larger consumer of time, and is less likely to spend more than a budgeted amount. It''s a tougher sale to get them to upgrade to a larger item as well, etc... Again, there are ALWAYS exceptions, but as I said this is what i have noticed from sales and from the jewelry market and friend''s shopping habits.

I am always conscious of that in stores, and if personally I am not ready to buy, I let them know, and whatever they do after that is their choice. Case in point, yesterday i went into a jewelry shop on 47th. I saw a citrine set in yellow gold pave. NOT ME. But I was immediately drawn to it. I coveted it. I told the woman I will not buy it, but please let me see it? She and I sat and talked about gems for 15 minutes. But she didn''t waste her time, because she knew what she was getting...(and if I DO buy it, I will make sure she gets the commission!)

Harriet, you may have company...as I will soon be flamed as well... ;-)

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2007 12:04:59 PM
Author: Nicrez
I will soon be flamed as well... ;-)
I don''t see why ... the case you make for why some salesfolks act the way they do is logical & rings true. I''ve sold ice cream, fashion jewelry, real estate and HA HA HA -- pagers! Remember THOSE? Just like former waiters & waitresses always tip well ... I have a LOT of compassion for salesfolks ...they''re just regular old people trying to make a living like the rest of us.

Sometimes I suspect people are spending so much time shopping ... not to BUY anything ... but to be fawned over & have their ego-stroked & feel decadent. If your *primary* sense of self worth is coming from cooing twenty-year-old sales girls ... ya might be in need of another hobby!
2.gif

rfath

Shiny_Rock
Nicrez -

Fair points, but this was shortly after they opened on a weekday morning. I was the only customer in the store... I wasn''t expecting anyone to fawn over me, but some eye contact would have been appreciated. The majority of the SA''s walking around the store away from me was pretty noticeable since the boutique is very small.

Fortunately, the person I cornered turned out to be an absolute fanatic about antique watches, so it turned out well. He took special care to make sure that the watch was well-treated and that we (hubby later came in to speak with them about the watch) never felt that awkward again when he was working there.

kev_800

Shiny_Rock
I hope this isn''t too off topic, Ellen, but where are you staying on Michigan Ave? There are some great hotels around if you''re a ''hotel person'' and if not, I could also suggest a few nice, quieter places a bit off the strip that are much less expensive but still very nice.

You should post in the diamond hangout section before you come! And if you do come, you DEFINITELY need to check out the Georg Jensen store at the north end of michigan ave..... gorgeous stuff!

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
I have had very good experiences with Cartier. They really like my diamond and are happy to let me try on whatever. I have been in quite a few stores and they were all nice. My most fun was trying on a 4 carat center three stone "Ashoka" cut. Very long and shallow stone, it occupied half my finger! It was dreadfully expensive, I forget how much, but the saleslady was so nice to show it to me. I emjoyed seeing it b/c it is utterly unique.

Even if I only went into Cartier to buy a refill for my pen they were very nice and just as helpful as if it were a big sale.

I too appreciate that sales people are there to make sales, not babysit or entertain. I do respect that. Of course, they must not be rude either. I have been quite fortunate in this regard I guess.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2007 1:32:40 PM
Author: kev_800
I hope this isn''t too off topic, Ellen, but where are you staying on Michigan Ave? There are some great hotels around if you''re a ''hotel person'' and if not, I could also suggest a few nice, quieter places a bit off the strip that are much less expensive but still very nice.

You should post in the diamond hangout section before you come! And if you do come, you DEFINITELY need to check out the Georg Jensen store at the north end of michigan ave..... gorgeous stuff!
*small threadjack*

Hi kev!

We''re booked at the Sheraton Towers, not actually on Mich Ave., but looks very close, that''s where my SIL (mother of the groom) got a block of rooms. I had already planned on doing a thread in Hangout, to find out where all the "must sees" are, and to maybe find some cheaper places to eat, as I can tell the hotel will be outrageous.

So maybe you can be thinking and I''ll post in the next couple weeks!
28.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2007 12:42:36 PM
Author: decodelighted

Date: 3/6/2007 12:04:59 PM
Author: Nicrez
I will soon be flamed as well... ;-)
I don''t see why ... the case you make for why some salesfolks act the way they do is logical & rings true. I''ve sold ice cream, fashion jewelry, real estate and HA HA HA -- pagers! Remember THOSE? Just like former waiters & waitresses always tip well ... I have a LOT of compassion for salesfolks ...they''re just regular old people trying to make a living like the rest of us.

Sometimes I suspect people are spending so much time shopping ... not to BUY anything ... but to be fawned over & have their ego-stroked & feel decadent. If your *primary* sense of self worth is coming from cooing twenty-year-old sales girls ... ya might be in need of another hobby!
2.gif
Decodelighted,
If this is directed at me, you have already made your opnion of my actions re Tiffany abundantly clear. There is no need to use another person''s thread to reiterate it. Separately, one can expect courtesy without expecting "to be fawned over."

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2007 5:05:11 PM
Author: Harriet
2.gif
Decodelighted,
If this is directed at me, you have already made your opnion of my actions re Tiffany abundantly clear. There is no need to use another person's thread to reiterate it. Separately, one can expect courtesy without expecting 'to be fawned over.'
Harriet,
I don't really know enough about you to even SPECULATE as to whether my above arm-chair assessment of "Needy Sport Shoppers" applies to you OR NOT.
5.gif
What's that old expression: You wouldn't worry so much about what people think about you if you realized how seldomly they do.
2.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Decodelighted,

Please note the "if." Moreover, even if you did think negatively about me, I would lose no sleep.

biblobaggins23

Shiny_Rock
alamb, what was the quality of your stone?

by the way, i have been to cartier 1 or 2 times, and the sales associates have been very very helpful. i tried to take my tiffany-devouted mom into cartier, but she won't go for some reason. i think she would be more impressed by cartier's SAs than tiffanys. tiffanys has really lost its high-end touch due to the lack of SAs with good manners and people skills.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2007 5:59:03 PM

Date: 3/6/2007 5:05:11 PM

2.gif
Decodelighted,
If this is directed at me, you have already made your opnion of my actions re Tiffany abundantly clear. There is no need to use another person''s thread to reiterate it. Separately, one can expect courtesy without expecting ''to be fawned over.''
Harriet,
I don''t really know enough about you to even SPECULATE as to whether my above arm-chair assessment of ''Needy Sport Shoppers'' applies to you OR NOT.
5.gif
What''s that old expression: You wouldn''t worry so much about what people think about you if you realized how seldomly they do.
2.gif
Deco, get out of my head,
2.gif
Harriet, this was never about you, OK.. Sheesh. Ok I''m done.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
alamb,
I love hearing happy stories like this. I haven''t bought from our Cartier store, but whenever I go in the people are always very nice to me.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kaleigh,
I have no quarrel with you whatsoever.
1.gif
That said, please see what Decodelighted has written on my thread.
I'm done too. Sorry, Allison.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I was in Michigan Ave. Cartier right before Christmas and they were extremely kind. When asked if we could be helped, we responded by saying we were just admiring. I saw a stunning ring and the SA suggested I try it on. It was a 10 carat brownish pink pear with two white pear sidestones. Price tag just under a cool million!!!
emdgust.gif
I must say it looked totally smashing on my hand!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2007 6:32:23 PM
Kaleigh,

I have no quarrel with you whatsoever.
1.gif
That said, please see what Decodelighted has written on my thread.

I''m done too. Sorry, Allison.

harriet, IMO deco said nothing wrong in your thread or this one for that matter. when you bring issues to the forum everyone has an opinion and it''s best to just accept the differences and try not to take things personally
1.gif

I''m sorry too Allison
12.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Moving on ...
2.gif

If anyone is shopping at the Cartier on Madison (the smaller NY one), ask for Keith. I was making a very small purchase and he could not have been more helpful.

alamb

Rough_Rock
biblobaggins23 - I have a 3.07, ideal cut, F, SI1 (appraised as VS-2).

decodelighted - I can understand how Harriet would take offense, I saw it as directed at her, too. I''ve never known anyone who "shopped to get their ego''s stroked," what is that about? I think if you go in a store to browse or to buy, you should be treated nicely. I would certainly never expect to be fawned over.

Nicrez - I definately spend hours over my decision to buy. I still bought it though!!

No hijack apology necessary, sometimes that happens. Lets just be nice, we''re all diamond lovers!!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Allison,
Can we trade stones?
1.gif

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/6/2007 7:47:44 PM
biblobaggins23 - I have a 3.07, ideal cut, F, SI1 (appraised as VS-2).

decodelighted - I can understand how Harriet would take offense, I saw it as directed at her, too. I''ve never known anyone who ''shopped to get their ego''s stroked,'' what is that about? I think if you go in a store to browse or to buy, you should be treated nicely. I would certainly never expect to be fawned over.

Nicrez - I definately spend hours over my decision to buy. I still bought it though!!

No hijack apology necessary, sometimes that happens. Lets just be nice, we''re all diamond lovers!!

WOWSERS !!! We Boston folks should have a get together so I can drool over that amazing ring, alamb.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/6/2007 7:47:44 PM
I've never known anyone who 'shopped to get their ego's stroked,' what is that about?
Folks who've worked retail or sales in general probably know what I'm talking about.
2.gif
Even if you don't *personally* know anyone like that. Ya might be suprised at how many lonely, needy, chatty folks there are out there SUCKING up the time of salesclerks DESPERATE to move on to BUYERS. I was always cordial to my customers, & passersby & lookie-loos & freakies & unaccompanied minors & I would have even been polite to the weirdos who'd leave stalkery notes for me if they'd signed their real names.
3.gif

My point is - and always was - that shoppers AND salesfolks are both HUMAN, make mistakes, have bad days, etc. You can brush off life's annoyances or you can choose otherwise based on your own personal philosophy.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results