shape
carat
color
clarity

Cartier excellent cut diamond, HCA only 4.6?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ManhattanSpin|1357429647|3348343 said:
I've been looking at a diamond at Cartier myself and it scored a 3.5 on HCA but sparkles like crazy! So I don't think the HCA calculator is the end-all decider of these things...

this is true, the HCA calculator is the first step in eliminating stones, but other things are important. Also, like a fine wine, some people cannot tell the difference between a well cut stone and a premium well cut stone. ( also if you were looking at in in cartier im sure the lighting helped)... but if you are paying a premium, which you most certainly are, you should have a premium well cut stone. Also, i cannot fathom paying a premium for something so easily replicated with similar if not better quality.

it would be one thing for the more ornate Cartier designs, but such a simple setting, you are only paying for the name. And I know for me, if im dropping such a large amount of money, i want to know I am paying for the best, not just the best brand name.

ManhattanSpin

Rough_Rock
They took the stone into a room light by normal incandescent lighting only...it was just as sparkly as before! I think the HCA thing might help, but by no means is the end all. I also doubt that Cartier would have anything but the best...obviously you are paying a near 75% premium on the price...but if someone asks where you got your ring and your say Cartier, it speaks for itself...unlike a lesser retailer. Just my thoughts...I am comparing both.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ManhattanSpin|1357442389|3348561 said:
They took the stone into a room light by normal incandescent lighting only...it was just as sparkly as before! I think the HCA thing might help, but by no means is the end all. I also doubt that Cartier would have anything but the best...obviously you are paying a near 75% premium on the price...but if someone asks where you got your ring and your say Cartier, it speaks for itself...unlike a lesser retailer. Just my thoughts...I am comparing both.

If someone asks where you got it and you have to tell them Cartier, it doesnt speak for itself. A well cut, well performing stone speaks for itself because you dont have to ask about it to be impressed. Paying more than double for something, there better be no doubt in my mind that I am getting the absolute best. a 4.6 on the HCA is not the absolute best. If that stone wasnt sold by Cartier, no one would recommend a .9 ct for 20k. If you want to buy the ring as purely a status symbol then thats one thing, but you can purchase a better quality at a lower price going elsewhere.

ChrisES

Shiny_Rock
I wrote a long comment about the Cartier stone's specs but now see that you've already been convinced to look elsewhere. Congrats and good luck!

silencer

Rough_Rock
ChrisES|1357444623|3348590 said:
I wrote a long comment about the Cartier stone's specs but now see that you've already been convinced to look elsewhere. Congrats and good luck!

I'm still interested in your analysis if you could post the link please?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results