shape
carat
color
clarity

Career in diamonds............

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

davisc02

Rough_Rock
I'm 31 and live in the UK and work in the dreaded field of IT. To cut a long story short i've had enough of IT and wouldn't mind a career change.

Whilst looking for an engagement ring I have found the whole business of diamonds absolutely fascinating and absorbing and I find myself still trying to find more information on diamonds even though I have now found a stone and setting for my girl.

What I have found here in the UK is that the whole diamond trade seems very much surrounded by mystery,secrecy and ingnorance. Trying to get decent information on cut, pavilion angles, clarity etc has been an absolute nightmare. I've walked into numerous jewellers asking for information on stones and rings they have advertised in their windows and you really get the impression that they just do not have a clue. I have to say thanks to everyone who uses Pricescope as whilst I am no expert, reading everything on this board and elsewhere has given me the confidence to go into a jewellers and being able to question them telling me that a crap cut diamond is "In their view" a superb cut has been brilliant.

Anyway I started dreaming about diamonds as a possible career and started having a look on the GIA website about exams they do. One that has stood out to me is the Graduate Gemologist Diploma which seems expensive but looks good. I was thinking about being a valuer or appraiser.

My questions are

1) Is it to late for me to enter the diamond trade.

2) How would I cross over from my current role to a new career.

3) What sort of career could you expect with this qualification.

4) Is the money any good?

4) Is it worth even pursuing this.

I know is this is all a bit dreamy but any comments would be welcome.

Thanks in advance

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Personally I would start with the GG degree and do the virtual campus stuff, see if you even like it. I took the first class and it was great fun, did it from home....it can be expensive but its fun to do on the side as long as you can. You don't need to give up your career now or anything like that!
1.gif

Also it was recommended to me that if I was serious about getting into the world of gems, what about volunteering at a local B&M or better yet an independent appraiser near you--doing some of their paperwork around the office, cleaning gems, whatever they want for you to do so that you can be around the gems and jewelry and start soaking up some information like a sponge. It would work nicely with your GG degree should you decide to pursue (and you can do on the weekends so your actual career is still intact). I want to do this but I'm too lazy (and busy?) to do now....though would be so much fun in the future!
1.gif

DiamondExpert

Brilliant_Rock
Since you are in the UK, get your FGA, which is a highly revered credential. Then go to work for a mentor where you can learn the ropes of the business for a few years.

From that point you will know how you want to develop your future...good luck!

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, and interestingly enough it's less expensive to get an FGA (British GG) than it is to get a GG (GIA).

Get that FGA from the British Gemmological Assocation in London and you'll be on your way to a career in the gem & jewelry business.

As a career, it is fantastic. Is the money good? It depends on your frame of reference. The field of gemology and gem sales encompasses the entire range of salaries.

If your salary is tied to commissions and you study the art of selling intensively, there's no holding you back.

If it's tied to appraising, and you continually enlarge your client base, there's no holding you back.

If you are employed by a major company, with plenty of room for advancement, there's no holding you back.

Otherwise the money's just "okay". Not great, but not bad either. Excellent working environment.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results