shape
carat
color
clarity

Carat size question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Daisi2112

Shiny_Rock
Just out of curiosity....

What is the average carat size for a diamond in the New York area, including all parts surrounding Manhattan?

suchende

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t have an answer because I have yet to see someone wearing a diamond ring in NYC/Manhattan (why is this anyway?!), but I am also curious to see what PSers would estimate!

Daisi2112

Shiny_Rock
Same here!

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
I live in Manhattan and personally I have a 1.77 Rb. On average I see lots of stones over a 1ct. All depends on the areas. My sister has a 3ct and lives in an affluent area on Long Island. The stones are big in her area. I would say 2 ct is more of the average (1.5-2ct) here in the city

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
my guess....2.75ct
2.gif

Miss Fortune

Brilliant_Rock
based on my friends rings who live in NY... 2-3 ct.

3cd4her

Rough_Rock
I haven''t done the research but living in the area and being asked for 2ct plus, I''d say upper 1ct range and above. Depending on location.

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
I lived and worked in NYC and will be moving to Long Island and my ring is 2.35. I think the average is about 1.5-3. At my work it looked like most were 1.5-2.

Daisi2112

Shiny_Rock
Wow.. the average in this area seems pretty big! ..

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2009 2:41:56 AM
Author: sba771
I lived and worked in NYC and will be moving to Long Island and my ring is 2.35. I think the average is about 1.5-3. At my work it looked like most were 1.5-2.

Hey sba771 where on the island will you be moving to? North Shore?

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/10/2009 7:57:08 AM
Author: atroop711

I hope I quoted that right- yup the North Shore! We are looking at Plainview, the Huntington area, Syosset and I am currently in love with a house in Greenlawn. We have some time because we are living in Germany until next year, but we have been watching the market and specific houses so hopefully we can get a good deal and have a place to live when we move back. Is that where you are? If so, do you like it?

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
If you''re talking about manhattan I''d say it''s all over the board. There''s really no average. Some people just choose to have a wedding band and I''ve also noticed alot of thin pave eternity rings stacked in my area (battery park city, tribeca). Others have 3+carats.

If you''re talking about the outer boroughs, I''d say around .75ct.

Don''t confuse those of us that live here with commuters for Connecticut, Westchester and Long Island wearing huge rocks
1.gif

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2009 8:09:57 AM
Author: elle_chris
If you''re talking about manhattan I''d say it''s all over the board. There''s really no average. Some people just choose to have a wedding band and I''ve also noticed alot of thin pave eternity rings stacked in my area (battery park city, tribeca). Others have 3+carats.

Don''t confuse those of us that live here with commuters for Connecticut, Westchester and Long Island wearing huge rocks
1.gif

Hi! I''m also from downtown (east village) and gotta say it varies in manhattan but I do find the UES and West village to have to HONKERS of stones (I see so many amazing stones on the moms in our school). Just wanted to say a quick
35.gif
to my fellow Manhattanite

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
I live in NYC and like others have said I think it depends. Mine is 2.75 but my friends that live in the city too are all over the board. Everyone in our social circle has at least a 1ct. Majority of the 3ct plus rings that I see here in NY are in the nail salon. Maybe that is when I do most of the looking. I also work in Brooklyn so most days I don't even pay attention. Once we are married I don't plan on wearing my engagement ring to work that much.

ETA... Also...when we bought our apartment a few years ago I started looking at a lot of the women who live in our building and the one next door have huge rocks too! I don't think mine looks big so you can imagine how big theirs' must really be.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2009 8:03:24 AM

I hope I quoted that right- yup the North Shore! We are looking at Plainview, the Huntington area, Syosset and I am currently in love with a house in Greenlawn. We have some time because we are living in Germany until next year, but we have been watching the market and specific houses so hopefully we can get a good deal and have a place to live when we move back. Is that where you are? If so, do you like it?

My sister lives in the North Shore (Muttontown) and it''s really gorgeous over there. Lots of families with children and the schools are great. I think my sisters school district is the Syosset schools. I''ve heard only great things about it. GL and the search for your new home
36.gif

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2009 8:17:33 AM

1.gif

Hi! I''m also from downtown (east village) and gotta say it varies in manhattan but I do find the UES and West village to have to HONKERS of stones (I see so many amazing stones on the moms in our school). Just wanted to say a quick
35.gif
Hey there neighbor
35.gif

Really? When I lived in the west vill (12th between 5th and 6th), I honestly didn''t see that large except on one of my neighbors. Then again, I wasn''t looking as much back then as I am now.. hehehe.

I also think many settings make a stone appear much larger than it actually is. It''s so difficult to really be able to tell the size sometimes.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2009 8:23:33 AM

1.gif

35.gif
Hey there neighbor
35.gif

Really? When I lived in the west vill (12th between 5th and 6th), I honestly didn''t see that large except on one of my neighbors. Then again, I wasn''t looking as much back then as I am now.. hehehe.

I also think many settings make a stone appear much larger than it actually is. It''s so difficult to really be able to tell the size sometimes.

Hey.. you used to live on the block my daughters school in on. She''s at First Presbyterian and my other daughter is at City and County school. Do you have kids in school? BTW I agree that many settings make things appear larger than they are. I know my own setting (Halo) makes my stone look much bigger.
36.gif

Cocosgirl

Shiny_Rock
I''ve been working in Manhattan for the last 18 years, have lived in LI and am back in Northern NJ -- and I agree that sizes are all over the place. Most of my friends and family who married more than 10-15 years ago hover in the .75-1.0 carat range. (Poor post college boyfriends who blew their savings! Nice boys they are . . .)

However the few friends who married within the last 3-4 years are all over 1 carat -- closer to 2. And in my office I would have to say that the slew of young ladies marrying in the last few years are all somewhere in the 2 carat range and the majority of them live in NYC, Brooklyn and Hoboken. I''ve seen a few smaller stones but mostly they are vintage or heirloom pieces that are unique.

I think it really is a matter of personal preference -- I''ve also seen a bunch of really sweet eternity and stacking bands on the older set and some of the really active ladies I know.

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2009 10:51:11 AM
Author: Cocosgirl
I''ve been working in Manhattan for the last 18 years, have lived in LI and am back in Northern NJ -- and I agree that sizes are all over the place. Most of my friends and family who married more than 10-15 years ago hover in the .75-1.0 carat range. (Poor post college boyfriends who blew their savings! Nice boys they are . . .)

However the few friends who married within the last 3-4 years are all over 1 carat -- closer to 2. And in my office I would have to say that the slew of young ladies marrying in the last few years are all somewhere in the 2 carat range and the majority of them live in NYC, Brooklyn and Hoboken. I''ve seen a few smaller stones but mostly they are vintage or heirloom pieces that are unique.

I think it really is a matter of personal preference -- I''ve also seen a bunch of really sweet eternity and stacking bands on the older set and some of the really active ladies I know.

40 is def. the new 20! signed 41 yr old
2.gif

Daisi2112

Shiny_Rock
I heard something like .37 was the average in the United States or something.. is that true?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2009 10:21:34 AM

If you're talking about manhattan I'd say it's all over the board. There's really no average. Some people just choose to have a wedding band and I've also noticed alot of thin pave eternity rings stacked in my area (battery park city, tribeca). Others have 3+carats.

If you're talking about the outer boroughs, I'd say around .75ct.

Don't confuse those of us that live here with commuters for Connecticut, Westchester and Long Island wearing huge rocks
1.gif

Hi! I'm also from downtown (east village) and gotta say it varies in manhattan but I do find the UES and West village to have to HONKERS of stones (I see so many amazing stones on the moms in our school). Just wanted to say a quick
35.gif
Hey there neighbor
35.gif

Really? When I lived in the west vill (12th between 5th and 6th), I honestly didn't see that large except on one of my neighbors. Then again, I wasn't looking as much back then as I am now.. hehehe.

I also think many settings make a stone appear much larger than it actually is. It's so difficult to really be able to tell the size sometimes.

Hey.. you used to live on the block my daughters school in on. She's at First Presbyterian and my other daughter is at City and County school. Do you have kids in school? BTW I agree that many settings make things appear larger than they are. I know my own setting (Halo) makes my stone look much bigger.
36.gif
Are you sure you want to post where your daughter goes to school?

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2009 2:09:10 PM
Author: MC
Date: 2/10/2009 10:21:34 AM

1.gif

35.gif
Hey there neighbor
35.gif

Hey.. you used to live on the block my daughters school in on. She''s at First Presbyterian and my other daughter is at City and County school. Do you have kids in school? BTW I agree that many settings make things appear larger than they are. I know my own setting (Halo) makes my stone look much bigger.
36.gif

with all of the kids in the school and plus we aren''t celebs..we''re alright with the name being put out there..now my home address I won''t post nor the names of my older kids

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Not that we''re moving, but me and my little 1.3ct are officially intimidated by all you NYC ladies. Enjoy all that gorgeous bling!!!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2009 8:03:24 AM

No way, I went to high school in Plainview!

I also grew up in NY - was born in Manhattan, then my family moved to the Island. My ring is 2 ct, and my friends in NY the average is 1.5 - 3 cts.

sba771

Brilliant_Rock
Vesper! My FI went to school in Plainview and grew up there! He went to Plainview/Old Bethpage JFK and graduated in 96.

sorry for the threadjack!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2009 5:24:55 PM
Vesper! My FI went to school in Plainview and grew up there! He went to Plainview/Old Bethpage JFK and graduated in 96.

sorry for the threadjack!
OMG, that''s my alma mater! I graduated in 93, so I was a senior when your fi was a freshman. Small world! I moved to Old Bethpage when I was 6, and lived there until I graduated HS.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2009 4:22:51 PM

Date: 2/10/2009 2:09:10 PM
Author: MC

with all of the kids in the school and plus we aren''t celebs..we''re alright with the name being put out there..now my home address I won''t post nor the names of my older kids
Okay, the paranoia is all mine then. . .(I don''t post photos, either to be on the safe side)

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2009 2:06:10 PM
Author: Daisi2112
I heard something like .37 was the average in the United States or something.. is that true?
That sounds about right to me, based on what I''ve heard in the past.

Here in LA, even on the west side, most stones are in the 1ct. give-or-take range.

Daisi2112

Shiny_Rock
I guess 1ct is a popular carat weight for most rings.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2009 7:07:14 PM
Author: Daisi2112
I guess 1ct is a popular carat weight for most rings.
Definitely. A lot of people (vendors and consumers alike) tout 1ct. as being the ''magic number'' to shoot for as a minimum. It''s pretty silly, IMO. I think a .4ct in a beautiful setting can be every bit as beautiful (if not more so!) than the bigger rocks out there.
30.gif
In fact, the most beautiful ring I have EVER seen had a .6ct stone in it!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results