shape
carat
color
clarity

Can't Pick A Setting

Markos

Rough_Rock
Hi there- hopefully this isn't under the wrong category, but it isn't a diamond question.

I am really struggling to figure out which setting to get my girlfriend, and I am determined to surprise her. I would appreciate any and all advice. I already received a bit on this diamond thread around which solitaire to get from Scholdt if I go that route.

Here's where I stand:
- I am buying a round brilliant 1.42ct diamond
- Through her sister, I know that she had expressed interest in the Tiffany Legacy with Graduated Side Stones
- Also through her sister, I should surprise her and she will love whatever I choose (I feel like she has to say that!)
- My girlfriend doesn't really even wear jewelry and that Tiffany ring is pretty blingy
- If I were to choose without knowing anything, I would go with a very simple solitaire
- I want a hand-made setting; I have a friend whose family is in the jewelry business and could make a ring, but I also think a small shop that can do customizations would work

So, I'm trying to figure out if I go more toward the one solid data point I have and choose antique-ish/blingy (e.g. the Legacy ring from above), go with what I like and choose a simple solitaire (eg a Scholdt Fremont), or try to get creative and find a middle ground (I'm not sure this is the middle, but I like Brian Gavin's rings).

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
If she has expressed interest in the Legacy that is probably where I would go in the general direction of. Personally I love the Fremont and almost got that myself. I feel like you can "do more" with a solitaire, in terms of wedding bands and stuff.

lovemybling

Brilliant_Rock
I feel if your girl friend has expressed something with a bit more BLING then that is the way I would go. If you had not gotten an idea then the solitaire would have been a good choice but since you asked, get her what she wants. As hard as it is, you can like something but really she is the one who iss going to be wear it.

Good luck
:bigsmile:

oneam

Shiny_Rock
Premium
If you know for certain she likes the Legacy, I agree w/ above posters, I 'd go w/ something in that vein. Beverly K has a few settings very similar that you can view on Pearlmans and other sites, possibly in person if you have a local jewler that carries them, and you can also take a look at the Tacori 2620 and Vatche Grace for more subtle looks.

Verdy

Shiny_Rock
Perhaps she doesn't wear a lot of jewelry, but this ring is going to mean loads to her! Have you considered maybe getting a custom made setting? Maybe blend some of the aspects from the Legacy with some of your own personal preferences? BGD does great custom work from what I've seen here, so that's an option if you can't decide! Sketch out some ideas yourself or have a friend help you out, and submit them to a few vendors for estimates on how much it would be.

This Tacori Crescent ring has graduated diamonds, so it could be an option as well!

http://www.tacori.com/Engagement-Rings/Collections/Tacori+Crescent#/HT251012X

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
How about a blingy cushion halo with plain shank (a combination of both your likes)? I have this picture in my favorites folder, and I have no idea who's ring it is, but it's around a 1.35ct center.

SUSHION.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you have a friend that will make the setting for you I would work with him on a halo ring with graduated sidestones in the shank. I would keep the profile very simple and elegant (no pave or surprise stones). I would bezel set the center stone and ask for some millegrain (though not millegrain everywhere) perhaps just around the center stone and on either side of the shank.

That's what I'd do.

pixgirl

Shiny_Rock
I'd get her the Legacy inspired ring since that is what she said she'd like. If she likes the Legacy a solitaire will never do.

Markos

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone for your advice. I'm in agreement- I need to go toward what my gf's sister showed me was her preference. I've been scouring the various antique options, and I'm going to check with my friend who is in the business to see if I can customize a ring that fits the bill. I'm sure I'll be back for opinions since I'm not very knowledgeable/confident about this sort of style.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I'm so glad to see you made that decision. I think this is almost a philisophical question. Is the ring for her, for you, or for both of you? I think it is a gift for her from you.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
One word of warning - be careful with having a friend make your setting. I've seen custom settings go bad when people go this route and it can be hard to find an easy fix without hurting the friendship as a result. Just thought I'd mention it...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results