shape
carat
color
clarity

Can''t find this setting... Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sundevil

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I really want a WG or platinum setting with princess cut channel set diamionds, but the only one I can find on the web is this one from Blue Nile. The problems with the BN setting are:
1) It will only hold a princess cut up to 1.5 ct and I am currently close to purchasing a 1.78
2) It is too expensive... $1850

I found one at a B&M store for $1599 in platinum and $999 in white gold. I am pretty sure that I could do better on the web somewhere, but I have been loking with no success.

Any suggestions?? Also, pls input on the white gold vs. the platinum. I have read hundreds of posts on this and am not sure if the platinum is worth the $$$

Thanks!!

psetting.jpg

By the way, the diamond I am looking at is:
1.78ct Princess
6.78x6.60x4.78 (1.03 L/W)
Depth: 72.1
Table: 72% (GIA) 73.4% (Sarin)
Crown height: 9.1%
Color: G
SI 2, Eye Clean
Slightly Thick to Thick
EX/VG
~$7500-7700
Attached is an idealscope pic.
This diamond is bigger than I wanted. I was looking for a 1.5 ct but this diamond seems like an excellent deal.
My girlfriends finger is a size 4, so I am a little worried about the diamond being too big. What do you think about the diamond and its size for her finger??
I intend to send it to Mr Atlas for an appraisal assuming you all agree.

Sundevil

idlscope.JPG

Here is another pic of the diamond.

1.78dia.JPG

try searching in www.sunjewelry.com. The offer many engagement rings and will price separately the settings only.

It looks like a fairly straightforward mounting. Have you thought about a custom designer? That would not be an expensive or difficult semi-mount to turn out built around your specific stone.

Thanks for the responses!
I had not thought about that really. I was not sure who to talk about regarding custom design, and I figured that "custom" would be much more expensive. Any suggestions on who to talk to about the custom work? I want a quality mounting at an affordable price.

What do you think about the diamond?

Custom work would seem more expensive usually, but it isn't most of the time.

Designers may charge a premium for thier own time, but all you are paying for is thier own time - we don't have importers, distributors, sales people and commissions adding to the price....

As for who to go to, I don't know what area you are in, but you can always try the internet and see who is out there, there are a bunch of us. I am not sure about the rules, so I won't make personal recommendations by name.

BTW, Is this close to what you are looking for?

View attachment SD1.jpg

Yes, that setting is very similar to what I was looking for. I think that the only difference is that the one I saw had five diamonds on either side of the center stone, for a total of .5 ct or so.
I will try to look for a list of custom designers, as this in an avenue that I haven't pursued.

Has anyone else here had custom work done by someone that they would recommend?

Also, someone please chime in on my diamond. I am waiting to get that warm fuzzy from you guys before I spend all of this money
1.gif

Thanks!!!
sundevil

Well, I'm not one of the serious diamond guys around here, but for what it's worth that looks like one hell of a well cut rock to me...

----------------
On 2/2/2004 10:57:42 PM sundevil wrote:

My girlfriends finger is a size 4, so I am a little worried about the diamond being too big. What do you think about the diamond and its size for her finger??

Sundevil----------------

Odds are good it won't be too big
2.gif
. That's not terminology used very often by women when discussing diamonds.
9.gif

I don't know much about princess cuts, but this looks like a beautiful stone. Congrats!

So, I guess this "diamond shrinkage" phenomenon really takes place, huh?
Hopefully for my pocketbook it takes a while to set in
9.gif

Try this D Vatche model 542. It is made for about a 1.75 ct center. I have no idea about price, but if you want platnum and channel settings, expect $1800. Yeah, I know, I had "setting shock" as well.

542-b.gif

Wow, that is a pretty setting. I will take a look at those.

Thanks for the pic
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP