shape
carat
color
clarity

Can't decide in Australia. Best 1 carat.

• Thread starter Contactmoderatortochange
  • Start date
C

Contactmoderatortochange

Looking for the best 1 carat diamond i can get my hands on for about $10-11k AUD. My girl has the smallest hand in the world (size 4 ring or so) so that works in favour of my budget. I want to do a tiffany style 6 prong platinum.

I guess i want a couple of things...I don't ever want her to be staring at it and notice an imperfection. Even if she is squinting right at the thing in light that would be conducive to seeing a flaw. So VVS2? would that get me over the line?

I also don't want her to be looking at it one day and say "i think it looks a bit yellow". I'll cry inside if that happens. Can i go down as far as a G? or F?

I guess the only other thing i want is maximum sparkle. Will faint fluorescence take away from sparkle on a F or a G?

This diamond performs well on the holloway cut advisor (1.2). I think i can get it for about $10,500. https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=7346384986&s=1594538769365

Any help appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The numbers look good. It would help to have a picture.

The next thing would be to request an idealscope or an aset image. See if they can provide those for you....post here.

She would never be able to see anything in a VVS2. A VS1 should also suffice.

G and above should be a good color fit. (depending on your budget)

Fluorescence usually wont take away from sparkle but some stones with Strong Fluorescence suffer from oiliness when in bright sunlight. If you pick
a stone with Strong Fluor, make sure you ask (its rare from what I've seen on PS but ask to be sure). I would probably stick to faint or none in the color
range you're looking at (D-G). Medium may also be ok but have to vendor check it.

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
VS1 will be ok so you can drop down in clarity to make sure you can bump up carat and/or colour. Any idea how colour sensitive your girlfriend is? Some people are, and some aren’t. Does she have any expectations about size or colour?

C

Contactmoderatortochange

VS1 will be ok so you can drop down in clarity to make sure you can bump up carat and/or colour. Any idea how colour sensitive your girlfriend is? Some people are, and some aren’t. Does she have any expectations about size or colour?

Thanks for the replies.

I have heard with some VS1, if you really stare at them you might be able to see a flaw? Just make sure its not in the middle i guess?

She has never said anything about diamonds or what she wants so no help there. She almost never wears jewellery. But her hand is really small. Put it this way her shoe size is US 3.5. I don't think i need to bump up the carat. If i was going to a VS1 i would probably go up a grade in colour.

On my diamond website here in Sydney when i search for 1 carat, VVS2, G, Triple excellent, no fluorescence about 30-50 diamonds come up and the prices vary widely from like 9500 to 15000. Is that mostly based on where the flaws are and the angles of the diamond? What constitutes good angles for a 1 carat should i be running everything through the HCA tool?

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wear a size 4.25 ring. I think size is quite a personal thing... my old ering was 1.5ct. Some people will be comfortable with a smaller stone and others larger. I find this also tends to vary with what we are exposed to regards to what friends or family may have.

Unless it’s an unusually included VS1, the flaws really shouldn’t be visible. I comfortably drop down to VS2 on mine (depending on the inclusion plots of course) for that reason.

Being in Australia is kind of tough as our exchange rate is so poor right now... and we really don’t have many vendors for super ideals here, but if you are open to it, I would suggest looking online at super ideal vendors like Brian Gavin, whiteflash or CBI. Whilst a GIA grade of triple excellent is ok... it’s a far broader category than the specialty cut super ideals from such vendors which fall between a far stricter range of angles and are cut for exact symmetry.

Basically, more sparkle will come from an ideal cut diamond. A super ideal cut will maximise that if that is what is most important. The HCA tool is a good tool if searching within GIA criteria. It’s a rough/broad tool to weed out the ‘triple excellent’ stones which aren’t worth the triple excellent price tag I guess?

Last edited:
L

lydial

Hi, if you want a perfect cut many of us here own “crafted by infinity” diamonds. The US seller is Wink at High Performance Diamonds. I am not aware of the tariff to Au. Here is an example of a stone below your budget in USD ( I don’t know exchange rates) that is a unicorn because it is barely below 1 ct, D color, and their inclusions are guaranteed to be eye clean: https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD10929 and they have 2 settings you would like (NY classic and Boston classic). You can look up the AGS number for any diamonds on their site on the certificate and watch video on AGS site but the diamonds aren’t clean in the AGS videos.

meesmom

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the replies.

I have heard with some VS1, if you really stare at them you might be able to see a flaw? Just make sure its not in the middle i guess?

She has never said anything about diamonds or what she wants so no help there. She almost never wears jewellery. But her hand is really small. Put it this way her shoe size is US 3.5. I don't think i need to bump up the carat. If i was going to a VS1 i would probably go up a grade in colour.

On my diamond website here in Sydney when i search for 1 carat, VVS2, G, Triple excellent, no fluorescence about 30-50 diamonds come up and the prices vary widely from like 9500 to 15000. Is that mostly based on where the flaws are and the angles of the diamond? What constitutes good angles for a 1 carat should i be running everything through the HCA tool?

I have a VS1, and I cant see anything...not even with a loupe!! In the report its only 2 little pinpricks, its so clean. You can totally trust a VS1. I agree, G color will be a safe bet too.

C

Contactmoderatortochange

Hi, if you want a perfect cut many of us here own “crafted by infinity” diamonds. The US seller is Wink at High Performance Diamonds. I am not aware of the tariff to Au. Here is an example of a stone below your budget in USD ( I don’t know exchange rates) that is a unicorn because it is barely below 1 ct, D color, and their inclusions are guaranteed to be eye clean: https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD10929 and they have 2 settings you would like (NY classic and Boston classic). You can look up the AGS number for any diamonds on their site on the certificate and watch video on AGS site but the diamonds aren’t clean in the AGS videos.

Nice, but by the time i get that bad boy to Australia it will be like 15000 AUD. The Australian dollar is only buying 70US cents at the moment. Plus it would be 1000 in tax minimum. I can only really stretch to 11000 AUD for the stone max.

L

lydial

Looking for the best 1 carat diamond i can get my hands on for about $10-11k AUD. My girl has the smallest hand in the world (size 4 ring or so) so that works in favour of my budget. I want to do a tiffany style 6 prong platinum.

I guess i want a couple of things...I don't ever want her to be staring at it and notice an imperfection. Even if she is squinting right at the thing in light that would be conducive to seeing a flaw. So VVS2? would that get me over the line?

I also don't want her to be looking at it one day and say "i think it looks a bit yellow". I'll cry inside if that happens. Can i go down as far as a G? or F?

I guess the only other thing i want is maximum sparkle. Will faint fluorescence take away from sparkle on a F or a G?

This diamond performs well on the holloway cut advisor (1.2). I think i can get it for about $10,500. https://www.gia.edu/report-check?reportno=7346384986&s=1594538769365

Any help appreciated!

... color/clarity specs are good but GIA rounds the angles so the 41 could be 41.2 which can be negative for the ideal diamond sparkle effect you are looking for. It’s physics/optics. Look for diamonds whose angles are 34-35 / 40.6-40.8. Then watch videos. Yours isn’t bad but won’t look ideal.

stonehunter20

Shiny_Rock
given it's 1 carat, i think you can even go down to vs2 and most likely she won't see anything when staring at it.

as for color, i think you can also even go down to h and most likely she won't find it yellow if she's not too color sensitive. by doing both, you may get a bigger carat depending on your budget.

the best way to get comfortable with color and clarity is to find a few candidates at different gradings and have the vendor do a side by side comp for you so that you can observe them and make a decision from there. good luck.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think G and VS1 is completely safe. VS2 should be safe as well.

new-beginning

Shiny_Rock
Crafted by Infinity is sold in stores other than the USA; several in the U.K, and other elsewhere in Europe if that would help with tax.

mcosme

Shiny_Rock
Hi Fellow Aussie

To keep things within your budget you could try James Allen. I helped my brother buy a ring from them recently and their Tiffany repro is quite nice!

Or whiteflash who are super awesome and trustworthy!

Last edited:

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Hey there. Another Aussie here and as @istase2000 said, you can get some great bargains from overseas vendors now even with our lower dollar. James Allen has some great 1ct (F/G, VS1) rounds in their 'True Hearts' line for your budget, and you can take advantage of their upgrade program later on should you want to move up to a 2ct stone. Whiteflash has a similar program.

G is pretty white as is H. I think I and J are where you can start noticing warmth. I think you'll get more bang for your buck going down to VS1 and without a loupe, you won't see the inclusions, especially if they are white as opposed to carbon/black inclusions.

Good luck!

C

Contactmoderatortochange

Thanks for all the replies guys. I like the diamonds on the white flashwebsite but the super ideal cuts were just getting a bit out of my price-range. The Australian dollar is down at the moment. Once upon a time about ten years ago the Australian dollar was trading 1 for 1 to the US dollar. But at the moment the Australian dollar is only buying about 70US cents. Plus with import taxes it was just going to get out of hand.

I spoke to the guy in the diamond store i decided to go to here in sydney. The place has 250 reviews on google with a 5 star rating. I wanted to come up to VS1 clarity so he recommended me this diamond (GIA 5211010537) and i paid $10,800AUD for it. $12000 fitted in a 6 prong platinum tiffany copy. The HCA said its worth buying and the guy showed me pictures of the hearts and arrows which were rated excellent so i went ahead! My mind needs to be on other things at the moment so i just went ahead and ordered it in! I know it might not be the most perfect cut diamond in the world but i believe the guy when he says it will satisfy my expectations for sparkle. I'm just a full-time honours student with no parental wealth! I did my best!

Thanks again guys!

mcosme

Shiny_Rock
Hi there,

Not to make you feel bad - but the crown is a bit shallow. I just did a quick calculation on a few nice stones from JA with the platinum tiffany style setting and including the 10% tax it comes out to be under 12k AUD. The reason I chose to purchase from the US was because of the additional imaging (Idealscope) etc. and generally they make nicer settings.

Having said that I'm sure the ring will be beautiful - we're just perfectionists here on Pricescope. Congratulations and good luck with the proposal!

Last edited:
C

Contactmoderatortochange

Hi there,

Not to make you feel bad - but the crown is a bit shallow. I just did a quick calculation on a few nice stones from JA with the platinum tiffany style setting and including the 10% tax it comes out to be under 12k AUD. The reason I chose to purchase from the US was because of the additional imaging (Idealscope) etc. and generally they make nicer settings.

Having said that I'm sure the ring will be beautiful - we're just perfectionists here on Pricescope. Congratulations and good luck with the proposal!

I just can't spend weeks worrying about a diamond that might have 5% less twinkle. I couldn't even tell the difference between any of the diamonds when i was in the store even with the loupe the guy taught me how to use. My personality is such that if i ordered it online it would completely clog my thoughts waiting for it to turn up/reading insurance policies/worrying/waiting for it to clear customs...12K is like all my money (i have 200 dollars left in the bank) i would rather just have a relationship with a store. The store offered to even lend me a setting and when i proposed i could take her in to choose the one she wants.

I have an honours thesis to write. And if i don't ace that i wont get into clinical psychology. I need a clear mind. And this was clogging it. Time to let go.

L

lydial

I just can't spend weeks worrying about a diamond that might have 5% less twinkle. I couldn't even tell the difference between any of the diamonds when i was in the store even with the loupe the guy taught me how to use. My personality is such that if i ordered it online it would completely clog my thoughts waiting for it to turn up/reading insurance policies/worrying/waiting for it to clear customs...12K is like all my money (i have 200 dollars left in the bank) i would rather just have a relationship with a store. The store offered to even lend me a setting and when i proposed i could take her in to choose the one she wants.

I have an honours thesis to write. And if i don't ace that i wont get into clinical psychology. I need a clear mind. And this was clogging it. Time to let go.

I did not look at your diamond but I fully respect your attitude and priorities. Hopefully your intended loves the ring!

C

Contactmoderatortochange

I did not look at your diamond but I fully respect your attitude and priorities. Hopefully your intended loves the ring!

Feel free to have a look. I mean what are we talking? If i saw my diamond next to a perfect one from white-flash. 1% better twinkle? 5% better? 20%? Does 1.5 degrees shallow on the crown really blow the whole thing?

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Congrats on the purchase. I hope the proposal goes well.

You made a decision that you were comfortable with, and that is what matters most.

PSers can get a better cut diamond (nuances will matter to some, and not to others) and a better deal, but that needs time... of which you have limited and as you saynow run out of.

your thesis/ livelihood/ career depends on your clear mind to finish writing it. The proposal/ ring etc needs to take a back seat whilst you focus on that.

finish your studies. Pls come back and show us the ring and your positive proposal result.

congrats once again.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ouch.

It's an ok diamond, but knowing that you said right off the bat that you don't want her ever looking at it and seeing an imperfection, you've missed the mark here.

Imagine your fiancee was buying you a car. The only car you'd have for the rest of your life. And her approach was "Look - I have things to do and this is taking up a couple of days of my time and I'm busy - and - what are we talking here? Zero to 60 in 15 seconds? 20? So what's a few seconds? 5 seconds? 10 seconds? Does it really matter? And - gas mileage - what's the big deal? 5%? 10%?" - and so on and so on.

Cutting corners is only no big deal if it doesn't matter to the person who has to wear it. That person in this scenario is not you. I understand you're busy. (I have a masters in psych also, so I feel your pain there. But even so...) And I know this can take some time and effort. But this sort of thing MATTERS to women. They want to know you made the effort - in time, not just money. Good for you for spending the dollars - that definitely counts. But that 5% extra sparkle? Yeah. That matters. And yeah. We can see it.

You picked an ok diamond, not great. It's clean and reasonably white. But it's not particularly close to how good you *can* be, so it's a so-so effort. You'll probably be ok so long as she never encounters an ideal cut stone. But people are getting more educated on this sort of thing, so it's probably only a matter of time. I'm Australian also, and I saw this exact scenario play out between my best friend and my niece, who I watched compare engagement rings after they both were recently engaged. My best friend had the ideal cut stone - not large, but beautifully cut - and my niece had something she and her fiance had picked up on the spur of the moment in a reputable store. it was like watching a car wreck in slow motion. I saw them both stick out their hands to compare, and it was like the world turned into slow motion. In my head I was doing that slowed down yell of "Nooooooooo!!" - and then - suddenly - both their hands were out, and their rings were next to each other and there was no saving it. They both looked down at their rings, and then my beautiful, wonderful niece's face dropped, and she said "Mine probably needs a clean." And then she sat on her hand. For the rest of the afternoon. It was heartbreaking.

I always say it's better to do it once, do it right, and never do it again. There is nothing more expensive than a woman who wants to "get my engagement ring right this time."

I wish you a fabulous engagement and many happy years of marriage.

Mekp

Shiny_Rock
Ouch.

It's an ok diamond, but knowing that you said right off the bat that you don't want her ever looking at it and seeing an imperfection, you've missed the mark here.

Imagine your fiancee was buying you a car. The only car you'd have for the rest of your life. And her approach was "Look - I have things to do and this is taking up a couple of days of my time and I'm busy - and - what are we talking here? Zero to 60 in 15 seconds? 20? So what's a few seconds? 5 seconds? 10 seconds? Does it really matter? And - gas mileage - what's the big deal? 5%? 10%?" - and so on and so on.

Cutting corners is only no big deal if it doesn't matter to the person who has to wear it. That person in this scenario is not you. I understand you're busy. (I have a masters in psych also, so I feel your pain there. But even so...) And I know this can take some time and effort. But this sort of thing MATTERS to women. They want to know you made the effort - in time, not just money. Good for you for spending the dollars - that definitely counts. But that 5% extra sparkle? Yeah. That matters. And yeah. We can see it.

You picked an ok diamond, not great. It's clean and reasonably white. But it's not particularly close to how good you *can* be, so it's a so-so effort. You'll probably be ok so long as she never encounters an ideal cut stone. But people are getting more educated on this sort of thing, so it's probably only a matter of time. I'm Australian also, and I saw this exact scenario play out between my best friend and my niece, who I watched compare engagement rings after they both were recently engaged. My best friend had the ideal cut stone - not large, but beautifully cut - and my niece had something she and her fiance had picked up on the spur of the moment in a reputable store. it was like watching a car wreck in slow motion. I saw them both stick out their hands to compare, and it was like the world turned into slow motion. In my head I was doing that slowed down yell of "Nooooooooo!!" - and then - suddenly - both their hands were out, and their rings were next to each other and there was no saving it. They both looked down at their rings, and then my beautiful, wonderful niece's face dropped, and she said "Mine probably needs a clean." And then she sat on her hand. For the rest of the afternoon. It was heartbreaking.

I always say it's better to do it once, do it right, and never do it again. There is nothing more expensive than a woman who wants to "get my engagement ring right this time."

+1

The stone isn't horrible but it isn't great.

You indicated at the outset that you wanted a perfect diamond. If that is the threshold I think you should keep looking.

If you want an OK stone that is 1 carat in size then I think you have accomplished that.

It comes down to priorities. Only you and your girlfriend can determine what those priorities are right now.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
+1

The stone isn't horrible but it isn't great.

You indicated at the outset that you wanted a perfect diamond. If that is the threshold I think you should keep looking.

If you want an OK stone that is 1 carat in size then I think you have accomplished that.

It comes down to priorities. Only you and your girlfriend can determine what those priorities are right now.

This.

C

Contactmoderatortochange

Ouch.

My girl is going to prefer that i build a clinical practice over 5% sparkle she has no idea isn't even there. She isn't the type to go digging into the specs of a diamond. She will see excellent on the grading report and think everyone here is likely cooked. She came from wealth. Totally shuns it. The more likely senario is that she is going to flip her lid that i spent so much money.

I just don't know. I worked in the bicycle industry for alot of years. And i know the people on the bicycle forums are the 0.1 percent of the hyper geeks who only ever read specs....have owned like 2 bikes and rarely...rarely understand the reality of working day to day with 5 or 6 $20,000 bicycles day in day out for years. You guys have seen in person what 10, 20, 50 diamonds? The guys at the shop have seen 20 a day...every day....for 20 years.

I looked at about 10 different diamonds in a few different stores....i couldn't tell the difference between any of them I don't know what to tell you. I like the guy and his son, i like building relationships with people. 32.5 vs 34 degree crown angle...59% table vs 57% table? If a guy came into the bikeshop adamant that when he test rode two bikes he could tell the difference between a 72 degree headtube angle and a 73.5 degree headtube angle. I would know he was a complete mental patient.

I'll talk to the guy at the diamond store but i think there is recourse to think you people are too persnickety. I'll even show him this thread if he wants to look. Why would the guy who runs the business with his son, risk his 5 star google rating to sell people dull diamonds.

Long story short at this point i don't know who to trust. And im flat out not ordering online. Not interested.

Oh...i wouldn't worry about the car. Her parents bought us a Porsche Macan. The 0-60 is respectable.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My girl is going to prefer that i build a clinical practice over 5% sparkle she has no idea isn't even there. She isn't the type to go digging into the specs of a diamond. She will see excellent on the grading report and think everyone here is likely cooked. She came from wealth. Totally shuns it. The more likely senario is that she is going to flip her lid that i spent so much money.

I just don't know. I worked in the bicycle industry for alot of years. And i know the people on the bicycle forums are the 0.1 percent of the hyper geeks who only ever read specs....have owned like 2 bikes and rarely...rarely understand the reality of working day to day with 5 or 6 $20,000 bicycles day in day out for years. You guys have seen in person what 10, 20, 50 diamonds? The guys at the shop have seen 20 a day...every day....for 20 years.

I'll talk to the guy at the diamond store but i think there is recourse to think you people are too persnickety. I'll even show him this thread if he wants to look. Why would the guy who runs the business with his son, risk his 5 star google rating to sell people dull diamonds.

I looked at about 10 different diamonds....i couldn't tell the difference between any of them I don't know what to tell you. 32.5 vs 34 degree crown angle...59% table vs 57% table? If a guy came into the bikeshop adamant that when he test rode two bikes he could tell the difference between a 72 degree headtube angle and a 73.5 degree headtube angle. I would know he was a complete mental patient.

Long story short at this point i don't know who to trust. And im flat out not ordering online. Not interested.

Oh...i wouldn't worry about the car. Her parents bought us a Porsche Macan. The 0-60 is respectable.

You are clearly not interested in help. Good luck to you.

Mekp

Shiny_Rock

I looked at about 10 different diamonds....i couldn't tell the difference between any of them I don't know what to tell you. 32.5 vs 34 degree crown angle...59% table vs 57% table? If a guy came into the bikeshop adamant that when he test rode two bikes he could tell the difference between a 72 degree headtube angle and a 73.5 degree headtube angle. I would know he was a complete mental patient.

You came to us looking for advice. We gave it. You ignored it and did your own thing. That's absolutely fine, but trying to convince us that there is no difference in performance based on a diamond's specs is ludicrous.

There's certainly no need to refer to people as "complete mental cases" (particularly unbecoming for a clinical psychologist).

Enjoy your diamond and your car.

C

Contactmoderatortochange

You came to us looking for advice. We gave it. You ignored it and did your own thing. That's absolutely fine, but trying to convince us that there is no difference in performance based on a diamond's specs is ludicrous.

There's certainly no need to refer to people as "complete mental cases" (particularly unbecoming for a clinical psychologist).

I didn't call anyone here a mental patient. I tried to illustrate that ultimately i'm in doubt and that i don't know if my bike store experience is applicable. But i'll have a chat to the guy at the store about the difference between a 59% table and 56% table....and a 32.5 degree vs a 34 degree crown angle.

I am not unappreciative of everyones help.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

As a clinical psychologist, I agree with this and find it offensive.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results