shape
carat
color
clarity

#TBT Canera Vintage Octagonal Solitaire with French Cut Diamonds

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How fabulous to have the video of your beautiful ring being made.

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow, it's unique, combining many elements I love! Is this a ring he made before or did you combine these elements yourself? Love the octagon, triple shank, and frenchies, all good choices:appl:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, I'm slowly pulling myself together. This is going to be long for the people that don't want to read this, just skip to the pictures below.

My initial thoughts really surprised me. I am in shock that I own such an amazing piece of custom crafted handmade art on my finger, that this is really mine. (I have waited so long and have been staring at the pictures for two weeks but did not get to wear it until today.) Yet, the second that I put it on my finger, it felt like it had been there forever. It feels at home. I am amazed at how elegant, comfortable and easy to wear this ornate, detailed, stunning ring is. I love it more EVERY SINGLE SECOND.

Victor Canera. What can I say that hasn't been said? I guess what comes through with this experience is his strong sense of artistry. He really enjoys making these Art Deco inspired pieces, and the final product on my finger is a testament to that. I cannot thank him enough for making me such a beautiful piece of wearable art, because I do intend to wear it every single day.

Listing all the concerns I had discussed with him will show how open he was to discussing every single detail with me and how collaborative the process was which allowed us to arrive at this final product. He made it possible by being willing to listen and discuss all my wishes and concerns, what would work, what wouldn't and why. This allowed us to come to a solution that we were both happy with. In some cases, I had to trust his judgment. I am really glad I did. I probably could have made the process easier by trusting him with more things but I cannot silence the control freak in me. And in case it isn't obvious, I was stressed at the start because this partial vision of my ring in my head was not something I had seen Victor do before. I wouldn't have even attempted if I didn't feel that I could communicate with him through the entire process.

Here is a list of the primary things I was concerned with. NONE of these concerns came to fruition. Victor made the right decision/gave the right advice regarding every one of these questions/concerns. Each detail and feature came out perfectly. EVERYTHING works together beautifully.
  1. Metal halo would be too thin. I initially wanted chunkier metal but VC convinced me otherwise. I see now that the thin halo makes it look so delicate and goes so well with the style of the ring.
  2. Prongs would not be small enough. Never seen him do these small prongs on e-rings. He said he could but I still could not believe it until I saw it. Don't know why I ever doubted.
  3. Shoulders would not look gracefully curved. Hard to do with french cuts that are channel set. VC said he could and I just love the slight curve of the shoulders.
  4. Donut/base would be too small. I liked fatter bases. VC usually does smaller ones. He said he would find the perfect in-between size. He did.
  5. I was not sure about the engraving in the profile and thought may we should have gone with diamonds in the basket instead. VC said the diamond halo in the basket would require more metal and I did not want that. Now that I see the engraving in the basket, I just can't imagine anything else. Diamonds would have distracted me from the rest of the ring.
  6. The stone would no longer be as sparkly due to light obstruction from the metal halo. Yes, he told me not to worry because the ideal scope image for my stone looked good. I was still distrusting up until the second I looked at my new ring. Yeah, not an issue.
  7. Too octagonal looking and not cushiony-squarish. VC suggested octagonal with 8 equal sides, but I wanted a rounded square. We looked for another shape and I found one that I liked even more than my original idea and VC was on board too.
  8. Diamond would not be set high enough within the metal halo. He said he would put it at the right height. He did. And at the same time he still managed to set the whole ring low to the finger, which is what I also requested. In fact, this whole ring is set even lower than my first Jocelyn.
  9. Angles of the cut cornered square would be too sharp. I initially wanted more curved corners. VC convinced me that sharp corners are truer to the Art Deco period, which of course, he is right. I was just worried that sharp corners would look funny. Of course, they don't. They are perfect for the whole look of the ring.
Stepping back from the details, here is my conclusion so far, after having worn the ring for five hours.
  1. I LOVE the ring.
  2. Fits my stone. Feels like my stone is in it's proper home.
  3. Feel relaxed wearing it. No constant nagging at back of mind that I will chip my girdle.
  4. I don't have thoughts that start with, "When I reset next time...".
I will post some shots taken indoors at night. Sometime this week, I will try to post some flower shots too.

Quick specs:
3.04 K, VS1 GIA OEC
Finger size: 4.5
French cuts are F

Last edited:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lickout: Oh my gosh!!! That setting!! That diamond!!! That video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so glad that you are so happy with the ring!! Congrats on a beautiful piece - enjoy wearing your new ring with no worries! Isn't it wonderful that your vision came together with his artistry? Stunning!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is lovely :)

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning in every detail, I LOVE it too
So happy for you, enjoy every second you wear it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pure perfection and a true masterpiece. VC never disappoints and WOW to his newest (and IMO most beautiful to date) creation. I am so happy for you that you are in love with your new setting and it really suits you so well LLJsmom.

A classic beauty without pretension but full of grace and elegance and easy old world charm.:love: LOVE LOVE LOVE and I am thrilled for you sweetheart.

Enjoy your amazbling ring in pure joy and contentment knowing it couldn't have turned out better.
Wear in health and happiness always. (((Hugs)))

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely gorgeous!!! :love::love::love: Beautifully executed, it looks perfect! Fantastic hand presence too! Love all the design elements, the perfect home for your beautiful stone. So glad you love it, congrats and enjoy it! :appl:

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks great on your finger! The engraving on the basket is lovely.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@hyoid - the casettes with French cuts are very much the same as the SJP ring

[over & out]

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! VC is so talented and has such an eye for design and proportion. I'm so glad you are happy. And that center stone is tdf!

P

PierreBear

I love your detail description of the entire process. It's enlightening to hear that you had specific desires/wants/requests/concerns but that it all came together in the very end. I'm so pleased that you are falling in love with the ring every moment and it has a forever home. Well done and enjoy it for many years to come! It is gorgeous and simply unique!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm so glad you love it and I can certainly see why! It looks perfect on your hand! There's a reason certain artists have reputations....they know what they are doing and have an innate sense of scale and proportion. I know it was hard to let go of some control, but the end result was certainly worth it!! It's perfection!! Congrats on your new masterpiece!!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No words! That is just absolutely stunning. What execution and of course your stone is tdf!! Wear it in much love and happiness! Love it :love:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Add this gorgeous ring to the short(ish) list of WOW rings here on PS. Go to the top of the list.. What a stunner! Each element of this ring deserves to be looked at on it's own. Fabulous job by Victor. I hope you continue to adore it every single day. Thank you for sharing it with us.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Beautifully done. BIG WOW! Enjoy your ring and wear it is in health!

cheers--Sharon

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Swooning over that basket! Your stone is glorious in her new home! She looks just stunning on your finger. Enjoy LLJsmom!

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
Can't believe how great it looks! This goes in my top 10. Gorgeous, and pretty on you! Would like to see it with a colored stone, or different metal iteration too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results