shape
carat
color
clarity

Canadians: question, please answer.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Aurora Borealis

Shiny_Rock
I posted this question on Diamond Hangout and Jewelry and I didn''t get an answer so if anyone could help that''d be great. Are there any Canadian insurance companies that sell policies to cover diamond jewelry? Anyone I''ve asked just says that they took out a rider on their home insurance but I''m looking for a separate policy. I ask because I''m living with my parents and I don''t think their policy would cover me to the extent of the value of my jewelry. So if you know of a company please tell me about it. Thanks so much.

Aurora Borealis

Shiny_Rock
Please? I''m desperate...I feel really uncomfortable without insurance. I''m not worried about losing the ring because I always wear it, I''m worried the diamond will fall out if I break a prong or something along those lines. I''ve asked in so many places and I can''t believe that not one Canadian has a personal articles policy for diamonds.
39.gif

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
Have you tried Chubb? I was going to try them, but in the end we got a good deal with the people that we have car and home insurance with.

Aurora Borealis

Shiny_Rock
I will try Chubb. The only thing is I''m not sure if they will insure my ring because I only bought it for under $5000 Canadian, even though it''s appraised for more. And I don''t have any other insurance with them...Thanks very much for replying.
1.gif

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Aurora - have you had any luck? If not, I spoke with my US agent - Chubb does write in Canada.
I can provide you with contact information for a Canadian agent if you'll let me know your location/province.

Edited to add: I looked at your profile and see that you're in British Columbia. I have a call in and will get back to you unless you find something first.

Brocksgirl24

Rough_Rock
Hi Aurora, I''ve been dealing with this insurance all morning. I''m in Toronto. I''ve called a few companies, and no one seems to sell insurance for jewellery as a separate policy. A lady at State Farm told me that no insurance company does this, so I''ve given up. Luckily, I have tenant insurance already so I just added it on to that. Unfortunetely its going to cost me $230 a year but I''d rather not go without. I dont know much about property insurance, but do you think there is a way to add it to your parents policy for now?

soulsis

Shiny_Rock
I know that my home insurance does cover my stuff up to $10,000. anything after that, there is a minimal surcharge. That''s what I did. I wish someone would break in and steal my jewelery! Then I could get new stuff for all the stuff I don''t like
41.gif

I''ll give out my address if necessary
28.gif

Aurora Borealis

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for you help, John. I did a search on the Chubb Canada site but a lot of those brokers listed won''t do a separate policy, even though I''ve read here that they should. So no luck yet.

Brocksgirl, I''m glad you got an option. I probably could get a rider on my parent''s policy since technically I''m a dependant because I''m a student. But it wouldn''t be cash-out, which is what I really want...and I''d hate to raise their premium in case something happens to my ring (I''m a clumsy girl). And for some reason I''d just feel better with a separate policy.

*CROSSING MY FINGERS* I hope I find a broker that will sell me the Cubb Masterpiece policy...

Thanks you guys so much for paying attention to my post!

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Aurora, my agent's contact for Chubb in Canada is: Phone #416-863-0550.

They are listed as Chubb in Toronto, Canada (Brocksgirl24 - in your "hood") See if they will write it - or ask if there is a different number for Vancouver, BC.

Please let us know what you find out.

Best,

Aurora Borealis

Shiny_Rock
Thanks very much, I will give them a try.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Hi Aurora:

Have you tried cooperators insurance? I have a separate policy for my ring that is not a part of my home insurance.

Good luck,

Heather

Aurora Borealis

Shiny_Rock
^^I just checked Jeweller''s Mutual, appliocants outside the USA are not eligible, but thanks.

^Coopoerater''s? What''s that? Do I get it at the brokers?

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Aurora:

Cooperators is an insurance company in Ontario and I thought right across Canada. They do have offices in Alberta but perhaps it does not extend to BC. Have a look - www.cooperators.ca

Heather

zdrastvootya

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/21/2004 9:12:40 AM
Author: hlmr
Hi Aurora:

Have you tried cooperators insurance? I have a separate policy for my ring that is not a part of my home insurance.

Good luck,

Heather
I just called a Toronto agent and they said they don''t do this - that there has to be a home policy
7.gif

Z.

Aurora Borealis

Shiny_Rock
39.gif
The harder I look for insurance, the more convinced I am that my diamond will pop out.
39.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results